General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

GLove Box Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Gary

GLove Box Stereo Installation

I have decided to purchase a 1 din Sony stereo and plan on putting it in the glove box. I am just trying to figure out what hardware to use to mount the stereo in the glove box. It makes more economical sense to me to put a new stereo in the the box vs sending my original off for an upgrade. I will use the original radio will looks. Any suggestions any of you guys have is most appreciated. I found a company on line that makes custom mounts. http://www.tmccustoms.com/. Has anyone used them?

Gary
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Gary, check out what I did:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html

You might not have enough space to put the stereo in your glovebox. I couldn't make it work in my 71 98. If you're interested in a universal box like I used they're available from many different suppliers:

Amazon Amazon
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Olds64
Gary, check out what I did:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html

You might not have enough space to put the stereo in your glovebox. I couldn't make it work in my 71 98. If you're interested in a universal box like I used they're available from many different suppliers:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ste...ords=radio+box
Thank you,I like what you did and it looks great, but I cant mount mine that way because I have a console. That link that I posted on my thread, that company will make a custom mount for 65.00 but I could not figure out the dimensions using their blue print.
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:54 AM

Check and see if these are still available:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html
Old December 11th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Stereo Mounting

Hey Gary I used an under dash mount like the one pictured below. Available from Best Buy, Crutchfield, local stereo shops. I mounted it upside down in the glove box of my 68 442. I trimmed the backside of the cardboard out for clearance. I put a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the clove box for strength. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want. Joe

Old December 11th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by oldsjoe
Hey Gary I used an under dash mount like the one pictured below. Available from Best Buy, Crutchfield, local stereo shops. I mounted it upside down in the glove box of my 68 442. I trimmed the backside of the cardboard out for clearance. I put a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the clove box for strength. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want. Joe

I sure would like to see what you did.
Thanks
Old December 12th, 2018, 04:11 AM

Joe we look forward to seeing pics. I used a similar enclosure and just set it on the floor board. A good material to use with that enclosure is the plastic poster board available at the hardware store. I used it as a bottom for the enclosure in my setup. You can easily trim it to fit.
Old December 12th, 2018, 04:45 AM

I put a sony player in the glove box of my 71 Cutlass. It fit fine and all I needed to do was use a small piece of 3/4" wood to space it up in the front. After getting it in I found the remote wouldn't work thru the glove box door. That was a bummer as that was what I had in mind. I bought a remote controller that sony has, on ebay. It is made to mount on the steering column so you can control all the functions without reaching over to the unit ( which is hard while driving if its in the glove box!). I mounted the controller up by the rear view mirror and it is OK. BUT! Why go thru all that hassle? Now you can go buy one of those battery powered wireless speakers and sync it to your phone. They sound really great- no wiring to 4 speakers, antenna,etc. There is a guy on FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts website) that has done that for tunes in his old truck. He can play what he wants or can stream radio stations as he likes. This is what I plan to do on my 56 F100. If you do that (or actually whatever you do for tunes}, let us know how it goes.
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:28 AM

Here's a pic of what I did with the stereo "box", I also, obviously, hung my gauges off the bottom of the box. Looks nice, still have the original AM in the dash that works well. subs in the trunk.
Old December 12th, 2018, 02:03 PM

I know the glovebox design is different. But this is what I did in my 78 Delta. I removed the glovebox light and I drive with the door open since it's me by myself when I drive 95% of the time. I use the wireless remote to make changes from the driver's seat. When I park, I close up the door and no one knows it's there. I didn't do this so much for the look of not having a modern radio in my dash. My last car got broken into and the dash butchered and the aftermarket head unit stolen. So this is more out of sight, out of mind.

I screwed the metal cage to the base of the glovebox and the unit can still be slid in and out if necessary. The face is also detachable.

Old December 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Local Hero
I know the glovebox design is different. But this is what I did in my 78 Delta. I removed the glovebox light and I drive with the door open since it's me by myself when I drive 95% of the time. I use the wireless remote to make changes from the driver's seat. When I park, I close up the door and no one knows it's there. I didn't do this so much for the look of not having a modern radio in my dash. My last car got broken into and the dash butchered and the aftermarket head unit stolen. So this is more out of sight, out of mind.

I screwed the metal cage to the base of the glovebox and the unit can still be slid in and out if necessary. The face is also detachable.

Now that is a really good idea.
Old December 14th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
I sure would like to see what you did.
Thanks
Well I can't seem to get the pictures to load. After several attempts I give up sorry. Joe
Old December 14th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by oldsjoe
Well I can't seem to get the pictures to load. After several attempts I give up sorry. Joe
Thanks Joe.
Old December 14th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Fun71
Check and see if these are still available:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html
Thanks for this information Kenneth.

I contacted Randy and he still makes these housing for under dash and for the glove box. I decided to go with the all black under the dash unit. The price is 79.95 plus shipping. Very helpful.