General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Getting out of Dodge, Road trip to the north coast

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Getting out of Dodge, Road trip to the north coast

I've been trying to get farther out of town than the closest car show for weeks, finally the wife and the mistress agreed so we are off to the North Ca. coast for a few days. There is something about the ocean and classic cars that go so well together,doesn't hurt to drop the top and enjoy the scenery with a 360 degrees view either. See you guys when I get back....Tedd
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Woo hoo, road trip!
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM

Have fun! Take lots of pics
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Lucky guy - I am sure envious...
You are obligated to post pictures, now!
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd always does a good job of posting pictures. I envy you with the weather you have out there. It is still too hot here for the top down during the day.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Loading up

Wife is finishing up loading the last of the gear as I type this (still dark out side), I just checked the weather and there is a 20% chance of rain in Eureka tomorrow, we may see how those new electric wipers work. I hope the weather holds enough so we can do the top down thing for the whole three days. Talk to you sometime after Thursday...Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM

We are back

My plans were to travel up the Mendocino coast past Fort Bragg and such but the wife said it was written in our prenuptial that she got to choose the trip this time so off to Eureka and points south, who am I to argue with hur lawyer and such a smart lady.It was a wise choise and full of places and sites I've never been to or seen.

The trip started out by taking Hwy 36 from Redbluff a twisty but beautiful two lain road that comes out near Fortuna on the coast. It started raining half way through the 145 mile stage and we soon found the new wipers were a huge improvement over the vacuum unit I had a couple years ago and the top did not leak which was really neat.

The first shot is of a shoe tree in the middle of no where. The rest are of Ferndale on the coast near Eureka. Great place to just walk around and eye ball all the restored victorians....Lost on HWY 101 some where...Tedd
Attached Images
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM

While in Ferndale I got the pleasure to pay the highest price in my life for a tank of gas , $4.63 a gallon, had to have it I was out, and they are the only game in town, full service of course. The station that held me up for ransom use to be a Oldsmobile dealership in the sixties and the attendant took me for a tour of the old show room and service area. One whole back wall was still full of Oldsmobile service manuals and mirbelia, it was look but don't touch that day for me.

The first three shots are of the Ferndale gas station and the coast behind it, the last two are the docks at Eureka. More to follow. Tedd
Attached Images
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM

More Eurka and points south

Here are a few shots as we headed south. The first two are of a couple of WW2 bunkers that are still holding up well. The state has them locked up tight but they are in remarkable shape for being 60+ years old. These are on the Samoan peninsula. By the way had dinner at the Samoan cook House good eats and lots of history on the logging that took place there. the cook house has been serving food in that very establishment for 122 years.

The critter looking thing that looks like it came out of a Star Trek episode is my wifes extra convertible hair. we won't talk about this to much.

The last two are some shots of the redwoods. They don't make a lense that will capture the scope of those trees.
Attached Images
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM

the last few shots

I took many more shots but let me finish with these they are classics in the redwoods.....Hope you enjoy viewing as much as the wife and I did experiencing them...Tedd...PS we traveled a total of 747 miles with no problems...good to be home.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 19th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Very nice from beginning to end!

About that former Olds dealer. Did you get any photos of the interior? Were any of his old manuals and things for sale?
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Very nice from beginning to end!

About that former Olds dealer. Did you get any photos of the interior? Were any of his old manuals and things for sale?
He was enamored with my car and I thought I might have a chance but wouldn't budge on selling anything. The stuff will probably set there till someone dies and then it will be trashed by someone who doesn't know any better, It happens so often!...Tedd
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Oh well. Keep your eye out. If they ever do decide to sell, there might be an auction or something like that, and maybe it'll be in the paper.
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Wow Tedd - those pictures really take me back.
I have very similar pics that I took of Eureka and Ferndale also, as I went to those towns several times over the past 10 years.
Did you stay overnight in Ferndale? I always did at the old Victorian Inn, which you have pictured. Looks like they painted it blue though - it looked better white with red trim. That is one cool town.
I have a picture of that fisherman in Eureka, also, as well as the redwoods and the drive-through tree. However, there were no cool old cars in my pics...
Did you see some lighthouses, too? Table Rock Light was moved to the marina you had visited.

I am glad everything went as well on the trip and that it was enjoyed.
What fun it was - that is a beautiful area, for sure.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Wow Tedd - those pictures really take me back.
I have very similar pics that I took of Eureka and Ferndale also, as I went to those towns several times over the past 10 years.
Did you stay overnight in Ferndale? I always did at the old Victorian Inn, which you have pictured. Looks like they painted it blue though - it looked better white with red trim. That is one cool town.
I have a picture of that fisherman in Eureka, also, as well as the redwoods and the drive-through tree. However, there were no cool old cars in my pics...
Did you see some lighthouses, too? Table Rock Light was moved to the marina you had visited.

I am glad everything went as well on the trip and that it was enjoyed.
What fun it was - that is a beautiful area, for sure.

As you know a person could fill a album of just Ferndale. I also took a few pictures of the lighthouses in that ares but I didn't want to fill this whole thread of shots with only my car in them. Here are the lighthouse shots you asked about. One is in Shelter Cove, another nice place to visit if you have the time, very steep and twisty road. My bias ply tires screamed at every curve....Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Wow that looked like an awesome road trip, thanks for sharing the pic's.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
As you know a person could fill a album of just Ferndale. I also took a few pictures of the lighthouses in that ares but I didn't want to fill this whole thread of shots with only my car in them. Here are the lighthouse shots you asked about. One is in Shelter Cove, another nice place to visit if you have the time, very steep and twisty road. My bias ply tires screamed at every curve....Tedd
Way cool!! Yes, you got Table Rock (or Bluff) at the marina, and Cape Mendocino at its new location. I have those same pictures - glad you made it out to Shelter Cove. I had a rented minivan and I thought I was going to burn the brakes up. Even in first gear, going down was too fast.
I bet you used Super range in that Olds!
That was a crazy drive, but even worse was the drive towards Petrolia, where you could see the original site of the Cape Mendocino lighthouse. Talk about no-mans land. And hiking to Punta Gorda light (6 miles round trip through soft gravel) is the icing on the cake...
Fun but I am not repeating.

On the small island by Eureka is the ruins of an old lighthouse that is part of an ORV park. Neat place to explore.

You are lucky to live out that way. In 10 years I will be also in SW Oregon.
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM

Last year we ran the north coast from Eureka to Portland and made a point to hit all the lighthouses along the way, there are a bunch of them! That was another great trip, I love the Oregon coast even more than California, the access to the sea is so much better...Tedd
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM

Very very cool! I enjoyed the pictures as well as the stories. Thanks