General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Gas brand choices

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Gas brand choices

What brands of gas do you use and or stay away from
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:50 AM
Bfg

You can trust your car with the MAN who wears the star!
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Texaco
Old June 8th, 2021, 07:22 AM

I typically put Pilot, Loves, Marathon, Mobil, sometimes Shell, sometimes BP in my daily driver. Have no issue with Chevron, Texaco, Phillips 66, Sunoco.

I put CountryMark 91 ethanol free in my old cars and lawnmowers just because it is the closest ethanol free.
Old June 8th, 2021, 07:30 AM

I buy whatever's cheapest. Usually that's the gas pumps by the Walmart. Modern gasolines have to meet so many standards that they're all fine. This is not something to worry about.
Old June 8th, 2021, 08:14 AM

I have always preferred Sunoco, never a problem going back to the days of 260 at the pump. Totally sold when I had to pull intake on old Lexus w/ 200+k that was pretty much Sunoco exclusive and valves were perfectly clean.

Always hated Exxon & Mobil as within 5-10 minutes after getting gas in multiple older cars the preignition would start every time when the load increased, no imagination involved. The bonus being those 2 brands are typically 10-15 cents more expensive.

My friend stopped selling gas (Sunoco) so I now usually run Costco with no issues.

Last edited by bccan; December 13th, 2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old June 8th, 2021, 08:26 AM

Top tier, you want top tier gas...look it up.
Old June 8th, 2021, 09:06 AM

My Dad was a chemist for Sunoco many years ago and was sold on Hi-test as it burned cleaner and you will get better mileage. I used to drive 50 miles a day to work and I could clearly see better mileage with Hi-test.

Steve
Old June 8th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Gasoline is a commodity. Buy it from the least expensive source. The branding is just marketing hype.
Old June 8th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Bfg

I try to stay with the stations that give out Stamps or the glass tumblers
Old June 8th, 2021, 10:52 AM

The lowest price is the best gas I use. I actually did mix 110 and ethanol free 91 50/50 in my Jetfire to see how it would run since it is high compression with boost. I could not even tell a difference.
Old June 8th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Gas is indeed a commodity but as has been discussed before, many brands have a proprietary or individual additive package and many brands are just the same as the other. Top Tier MIGHT be an example but as I understand, it is a club, largely paid to be a member of, but at least there are standards, kind of like API.

I sure licked a lot of green and plaid stamps as a kid, strengthened my tongue for those really long bus rides to school on really short busses!

Last edited by bccan; June 8th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old June 8th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I try to stay with the stations that give out Stamps or the glass tumblers
?? Wasn’t that 45+ years ago, lol
Old June 8th, 2021, 01:57 PM

I like the steak knives, myself.
Old June 8th, 2021, 02:43 PM

Texaco gave out dishes. White with black pattern. Still use them at Christmas dinners.
Old June 8th, 2021, 02:46 PM

Us kids were always trying to persuade mom what to get with the green stamps. Though cannot recall any particular item.
Old June 8th, 2021, 02:49 PM

Sorry got off topic. Cheapest gas run some Marvel Mystery Oil thru once a monyh
Old June 8th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Cheapest I can find from a reputable station. Usually just put in 87 octane. I have a stock original 69 350-2 with 80k mi on it. Occasionally put in some lead additive for good luck, not sure it needs it.
Old June 8th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Gary

My bestest car buddy uses the cheapest gas he can find.

I always use top tier gas.

He has to clean his injectors every year. I never clean mine.

Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old June 8th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
I always use top tier gas.
What's an example of "top tier" gas?
Old June 8th, 2021, 05:24 PM
72 Olds CS

Top Tier Retailers

76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Breakaway, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express Mart, Exxon, Fast Fuel, HFN, Hele, Holiday, Kwik Star, Irving, Kirkland Signature, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, Marathon, Metro Petro, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Sinclair, Sunoco, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Texaco, Valero, Value America, Wow, and Win Win.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

Old June 8th, 2021, 05:31 PM

The Top Tier organization says its products can help keep your engine’s intake valves, fuel injectors and combustion chamber free from deposits left by unburned gas. This isn’t wishful thinking on the part of these gasoline marketers. Third-party research backs up at least some of the Top Tier claims.

According to studies by the likes of AAA and MotorWeek, Top Tier detergent gasoline has a noticeable impact on engine deposits. Consider the AAA results. They indicate that, on average, engines running on Top Tier fuel end up with 19 times fewer intake-valve deposits than those that rely on non-Top Tier gas. AAA says that over the long term, the increased deposits left by non-Top Tier gas can reduce fuel economy by 2 to 4 percent and cause a major increase in emissions.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/top-tier...edicine-engine
Old June 8th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What's an example of "top tier" gas?
i.e.,
Shell (advertises 7x the detergent additive needed to meet Federal regs)
Chevron (advertises use of Techron detergent--the one my best car bud uses to clean his injectors after using cheap gas)
Exxon Mobil (advertises detergents keep engine 2X cleaner. Tracers are part of the detergent to ensure each gallon has correct concentration. Premium fuel only.)

Generically, refer to toptiergas.com
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:28 PM

Gasoline with detergents might keep valves from getting deposits on them, but I doubt anything will clean deposits once they get carboned up.

Those carbon deposits are a pain to clean off with a wire wheel, I’m guessing gas additives won’t do much once on the valve.
Old June 8th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Oldsdruid

Some of y'all have the luxury of a good regional fuel blend. What we get out of Greensboro NC tank farm is **** no matter what brand it is. I've proved more than once that fuel mileage and performance on my vehicles is better on fuel from Charlotte or Selma NC or Richmond VA tank farms. As in 14 mpg on Greensboro gas vs 19 on Charlotte-sourced gas. Same route, speeds, weather conditions, gas brand; the only variable was the fuel source.

You would think Charlotte and Richmond air quality standards would be as stringent as the Piedmont Triad area.

87 here is all within a couple cents of being the same price so I get top-tier if it's convenient. Can't see driving 10 miles the other side of town to get Shell and there are no longer any Texaco stations in the area. Run a lot of Sheetz, Valero and Citgo with a 20oz dose of Techron at every oil change.

Before the older Oldsmobiles went dormant they got mostly BP or Texaco.

Old June 8th, 2021, 08:10 PM

I would not pay 10 or 15 cents more for the "TT" gas, nor would I drive around looking for it. A mile from our house in Providence RI, there's a full service Citgo that's less than the self serve off brands.if we go to our other house, gas is 30 cents more, self service and off brand. So...it makes sense for me to use it, particularly in our injected cars. I would seriously doubt any gas engine I have has carbon deposits, lol.
Old June 8th, 2021, 08:39 PM

All gasoline is delivered to a terminal (tank storage) via pipe line. Different brand vendors will pick up gasoline by tank truck. At this time the fresh gasoline is " Blended" with the different additives of the major retailers. After blending and loading gasoline is trucked to your local gas station to be sold. Another thing, there are no pipe lines for 'Ethanol". It has to be trucked to a terminal and stored in a tank. The ethanol has to be blended just like the additives. The blending of the ethanol with the gasoline is referred to as " Splash Blending ".
Old June 9th, 2021, 12:14 AM

I'm pretty lucky, Arco is closest to my house only a few blocks away they are also consistently the cheapest around me and they are top tier ,I fuel both my Jeep, my wife's Torrent there both of them run fine with no ill effects using the lower octane fuel, I also fuel the 56 there however it gets only premium fuel, It has never exhibited pinging, knocking or run-on so I will just continue to use the premium in it.
Old June 9th, 2021, 12:30 AM

Back in the day I worked for Montgomery Wards we had a auto center and we serviced everything we even did convertible tops and seat covers, exhaust, installed knee freezer A/C units, stereo's, at our store we did just about everything except heavy line work. we also had a pretty busy gas island with 6 pumps but we only sold regular and premium, my go fast racing buddies who worked there would not buy their fuel there the would go to the other end of the mall and buy their fuel at the JC Penny auto center because they had multi-grade pumps
with the options

for higher octane fuels, I didn't believe it I thought it was a sales gimmick and at the time I didn't have a vehicle that required anything but standard pump fuel. Anyway remember these ? this is what the JC Penny auto center had, I believe Sunoco had something similar.
Old June 9th, 2021, 02:29 AM
Lansing built

Shell or BP around me are top tier. A local convenience store has converted to Mobil, which I have not used in years. Also all Meijers gas stations started carrying top tier fuel about 6 months ago. Plus I get 10 cents off/gal. This is what I use due to price and it's easy to get in and out of!

Pat
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I would not pay 10 or 15 cents more for the "TT" gas, nor would I drive around looking for it. A mile from our house in Providence RI, there's a full service Citgo that's less than the self serve off brands.if we go to our other house, gas is 30 cents more, self service and off brand. So...it makes sense for me to use it, particularly in our injected cars. I would seriously doubt any gas engine I have has carbon deposits, lol.
Direct Injection engines have quite a few problems with carbon buildup.
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pettrix
Direct Injection engines have quite a few problems with carbon buildup.
Not a problem I'll ever have to worry about.
Old June 10th, 2021, 12:24 PM

I put 100% gasoline in my 71 98. My 96 98 gets the E10 gasoline from Sam's Club. Momma's new Palisade gets the Top Tier 100% gasoline since it's GDI.
Old June 10th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Rocket Renegade!

We get Chevron 94 ethanol-free around these parts, so that's what goes in the Olds, along with a bottle of Lucas octane boost. The others get whatever they get as long as it's top tier and the appropriate octane rating.
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Go to a local fuel depot, and watch every brand trucks roll up and under the same rig and have the same fuel pumped from the same tanks, no matter the brand.
It is all marketing crap. that one brands is better than anothers.
Old June 10th, 2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
Go to a local fuel depot, and watch every brand trucks roll up and under the same rig and have the same fuel pumped from the same tanks, no matter the brand.
It is all marketing crap. that one brands is better than anothers.
Not true.

Top Tier gas must be licensed and authorized to meet the standards set. Top Tier Detergent Gasoline additives must be present at the correct concentration. Top Tier licensed retailers agree to not use organometallic additives (such as MMT or Ferrocine).

The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg

Read the 35 page study:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/association...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
Old June 10th, 2021, 07:55 PM

Shell V-power which is top tier in the old cars up to about 10:1 cr. Plugs look good, easy starting in hot weather. Mileage and seat of the pants performance in our Avalon and Camry is much better. BP here is also top tier, I switch it up once in a while.
Old June 11th, 2021, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
Not true.

Top Tier gas must be licensed and authorized to meet the standards set. Top Tier Detergent Gasoline additives must be present at the correct concentration. Top Tier licensed retailers agree to not use organometallic additives (such as MMT or Ferrocine).

The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg

Read the 35 page study:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/association...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
I will state this AGAIN. no matter what a 35 page study states.
Go to your local fuel depot, and watch every and all brand gas station tankers roll in, and under that same rig, and get filled from the same holding tanks..
What that study states, and what happens daily, is TWO different things.
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Administrator

My car has a drinking problem and has never found a brand of fuel it did not like.
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
I will state this AGAIN. no matter what a 35 page study states.
Go to your local fuel depot, and watch every and all brand gas station tankers roll in, and under that same rig, and get filled from the same holding tanks..
What that study states, and what happens daily, is TWO different things.
How does the load of fuel in the tanker truck become 87 octane, 91 octane, 93 octane or Diesel between the fuel depot and the gas station/convenience store ?

Quick Reply: Gas brand choices