General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fun With Body/Cowl Tags...needing some help!

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Fun With Body/Cowl Tags...needing some help!

Ok, looking at the cowl tag codes on the Toronado (sale section) has gotten me all interested in the codes on my other old Olds! Now I want to know as much as I can.

I figured out some of the info, most on the '61, but little on the '55, maybe someone could be of some help decifering it.

First the 1961-

09c
style 61-3239 body BA 87
trim 313 Paint FFF
Acc K9

What I get from this (tell me if I am wrong) is that it is a 1961 4dr Holiday Hard Top Sedan (it is) with blue interior and Azure Mist Poly exterior paint. (are three Fs just overkill?), built in the third week of September, I am guessing 1960? Was it the 87th of this body type built at the Doraville, Georgia plant? Ok, how did I do? And is there any way to know the acc code? K9 just brings up cops and dogs on Google!

The 1955 is a lot harder for me....

Style No. 55-3039 SDX (super deluxe? What is that in reality? and I don't know the 3039 code)

Body No. L10993 (?? It is a also a 4dr Holiday HT...is that this code?)

Trim No. 388 (can't find that anywhere)

Paint No. S40-50 (I know the paint colors, but not where they went. The car was repainted solid light blue in the sixties)

Top and ACC were left blank, so I guess no accessories and some type of special top? Convo?)

As you can see, I am pretty much a failure on the older car, but I sure would like to know what it all means!

Thanks!
Kathleen
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by KathleenF
Acc K9

It's the police dog that you could get as part the Police Apprehender Package

No, seriously, I believe it is the code for a 120 amp generator/alternator, but I could be wrong.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Oldsdruid

The third 1961 F is for wheel color.

Your 55 is a Ninety Eight Holiday Sedan (55-3039) with power windows and seat (Sedan Deluxe X- X indicates hydro-lectric accessories). It came with Ivory leather seat bolsters and light blue pattern cloth seats (388).

The first paint color should be the lower body color (hood, front fenders and upper doors), the second is the upper body (trunk, roof, lower doors and rear) or that may be reversed, not totally sure. Twilight Blue (40) and Mist Gray (50).

The body number is the 10993rd 4-door hardtop body produced at Lansing Body Assembly. All 1955 Holiday Sedans use the same body shell whether 88 or Ninety Eight, which is why a 55 Holiday sometimes looks stubby in its tail compared to the other Ninety Eight body styles.

PM me a mailing address and I'll copy the 1955 body illustrations pages out of my 1962 Body Parts & Accessories manual for you. It shows the original part numbers and attaching hardware.

For anyone interested, I can also do that for 1955-61 models.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Starfire, the last thing I need is another German Shepherd in my car so I really hope you are wrong about the Police Apprehender Package! The amp generator sounds way cheaper!

Rocketradier, wow, that is amazing!!! Thanks!! I am picturing this car with white leather and blue cloth seats....I am going to have to hunt down some interior photos and see if I can find it. What is the bolster? The area at the top of the seats? And btw, I made a typo on the paint color number, it should be 40 and 60 Twilight Blue and Polar White...which makes a lot more sense! Sorry about that!

Kathleen
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Oldsdruid

Bolster is the side panels and top area of the seats. Send your trim code to SMS Auto Fabrics www.smsautofabrics.com and odds are they will have the original stuff or a very close match in stock, but be forewarned- they ain't cheap!

Visit www.aaca.org Oldsmobile forums too. There's several early-60s guys over there who for whatever reason don't like it over here, but they are knowledgeable and can probably decipher the K9.