General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found an Awesome Rear Bumper Idea

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
I have never seen a person take a great looking car like the '67 Shelby Mustang and make it worse than the original - in my opinion.

I know you said not to base him on the TV show, but the one time I watched a girlfriend took her boyfriend's factory stock GTO Judge to Chip Fooze for a 'restoration'. Fooze slapped on some goofy looking oversized rims/tires, installed oversize speaker throughout the car, painted the car with stripes that made no sense, and made other odd changes. When the owner saw his car he cried and said some things they seemed to be cut out.

I am not a fan of his other customs done on the '60-'80 cars.
again... hes doing it for the TV SHOW... thats not his top work. i'm curious as to what you consider big goofy oversized rims are? 20s are kinda of a staple in the car world. i'm not sure what GTO judge you saw but the one they did on the show he painted black and reproduced the facotory style 69 stripe.

but you quoted the word "restoration" . thats NOT what chip foose is. He could do a restoration i'm sure but chip is a customizer, a hot rod builder. He is not graveyard cars. The point of the show is to make the car something custom from what it was.

i'm not a fan of every car he does by any means but the guys skill and attention to detail is at the top of his profession. not many that can do a car from the rendering of it to the final product at the level that he can. his art work alone is incredible.
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Maintained

reminds me of the Griswald family truckster
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;982038]Reminds me more of a GTX or Roadrunner

Joe you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the front view.

I like the lines associated with the bumpers on the original Cutlass/442. I'm also a big fan of the aluminum 71' Supreme grills, so I'm not appreciative of this design either. But to each his own.
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Scott that car sickens me every time I see it. Not because it was supposed to be ugly but because they crushed a perfect Vista Cruiser in the opening scene. That's where I draw the line on "it's their car they can do what they want".
I think I actually shed a tear for the Vista and didn't watch the rest of the movie. I'll admit a lot had to do with not being a Chevy Chase fan either, although I did like him in Caddy Shack.
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by scottv442
reminds me of the Griswald family truckster
Wasn't the Griswold Family Truckster a Ford Country Squire underneath all of the junk?

It was a bummer that they crushed a Vista Cruiser. I still think it's some of Chevy Chase's best work though. He's a comic genius.
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Scott that car sickens me every time I see it. Not because it was supposed to be ugly but because they crushed a perfect Vista Cruiser in the opening scene. That's where I draw the line on "it's their car they can do what they want".
I think I actually shed a tear for the Vista and didn't watch the rest of the movie. I'll admit a lot had to do with not being a Chevy Chase fan either, although I did like him in Caddy Shack.

little extreme to not like a guy because they crushed a car in a movie he was in. Like I dont hate tom wopat and John Schneider because they wrecked chargers to make the dukes of hazzard.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Ohhh I do!
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I kinda love to hate this car and part of me wants to like it. The front of the car actually does not look half bad. The rear could have used something nicer and more creative to compliment the body style. But the front actually looks pretty cool besides the hood. I like the grille idea and the spoiler . Hate the fender scoops. Jmo. Would i build it. NO but i can appreciate parts of it.
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by zeeke
yeah, i was a little "disturbed" by the vista crushing scene until I realized the one they crushed was a wrecked 71 or 72, not the 1970 vista they drove onto the car lot. used to see a lot of those vista cars in the pick-n-pull yard back then.
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:59 PM

The syling of that rear bumper reminds me of the car that Clark Griswold traded his Vista Cruiser in for in the movie Vacation.😀
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:17 PM

Front half looks to me like an Aussie Dodge Charger, back half makes me think of "The Wrath"
https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...NXqgrhm6inM%3A
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I kinda love to hate this car and part of me wants to like it. The front of the car actually does not look half bad. The rear could have used something nicer and more creative to compliment the body style. But the front actually looks pretty cool besides the hood. I like the grille idea and the spoiler . Hate the fender scoops. Jmo. Would i build it. NO but i can appreciate parts of it.
I'm with you. I don't like the back at all.
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
God, that's ugly. I think jpc647 is having a little fun with us.
No. I actually liked the idea of the exhaust coming through the bumper. My BMW has it, and I like the idea. Not the execution in this case, but I do have some respect for the effort.
Old January 15th, 2017, 09:05 PM

Reminds me of the car from Black Moon Rising. Not really a look-alike, but reminds me of it.