General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

First Post...I come to learn!

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Me too... What is a 3g Cutlass? The G-body 80's ones? If so, which do YOU like more as for style? Engine outputs are low in the 80s... The 80's 442 engine puts out less than the '72 350 with duals. Few easy mods for the 80's engine also.
sorry lol, 3G is my lil abbreviation for 3rd generation

Maybe this was misworded, but in 1972 the 442 package was available on the S and Supreme lines. Either engine was available in that year. The potent W30 package (455 with ram air and duals) was the cream of the crop then!
ok i see what you're saying....see what i thought was that the 442 was a totally different beast compared to the cutlass of those comparable years...and im sure it is, but when i looked into it, the cutlass had the 455's and 350's in them as well. So i went back to the original meaning of 442, and the only difference that i saw was the carb, tranny, and dual exhaust. i know that in 68-71 it was its own model, and that in itself had its options of power windows and what not, but to me i was thinking that it was more involved as a different engine/tranny/suspension/brakes/etc ...not just carb/tranny/exhaust.
but again, i think i might be looking at that too simplistically

Well it is not a 442, but looks to be a good project for the $ if there is no major rust or drivetrain issues.
A paint job adds maybe 3000, new high quality interior might add 2000 or more. So for 7K, it will look very nice. You can put more into it as you get the time and $$. Any options you cannot live without like A/C? That can be a pain to add later...
yeah i was advised to find a car that already had the original AC option to it because of how much of a pain it is to actually install it and try and make it work

As for creating a 442 clone, it is often almost as expensive as just buying an original... The engine, tranny, hood, grilles, etc are becoming harder to find and may be costly if you find some. Repro 442-only parts are high.
see now thats something that i needed to hear, because like i stated above...i think i was looking at things too narrow
how did the grilles and hoods differ from the cutlass and the 442, i know that some of the 442 hood had the vents, but was that standard on all of them?

Perhaps look out for cars for sale that were cloned long ago... An honest seller will sell for not much over a regular Cutlass. This is how I got mine. It also had no major rust, bood bodywork and paint, and a good drivetrain. I loved the color combos also! I had to travel from Dallas to S. Carolina to get her, but it was worth it. I drove her home with no real issues and did a little vacationing along the way. So prepare to search the country if needed!
that seems very plausible...honestly i didnt figure out what a clone was until earlier today. I had them in mind with a kit-car for some reason, but now that i know what it really is...id be happy with a clone, again not the real deal like i'd want, but still in the same league

the other thing that i want to do is that i want to be able to see and drive the car before i pay for it. I got poked in the eyes on my last car that way, and i trailered it back from houston, and i swore that i would never do that again. Plus, i live in a military town, so im kinda confident that i should be able to find something around here thats decent

ive been reading up on 442.com for a while now, and im starting to get the jist of the 442 history

see im doing my homework
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM

I like to see those who do their homework!
There is a LOT to learn, as each year was just a little bit different.

In general, in the 60s and early 70s, the 442 was a different model built on the Cutlass chassis. It had its own set set of options and omissions. They typically got more improvements in engine, tranny, axle, suspension, and cosmetics. Other creature comforts, like A/C, PW,PL, etc were often removed to save weight. Also, power brakes were often omitted as the wild cam those engines used would not produce enough vacuum at idle.
In 1972, the 442 MODEL was dropped. It became the W29 "442 appearance and handling" package added onto a Cutlass Supreme or S. The W30 package was also available, which gave you the high performance goodies as well. Search this forum for other details, I remember posting a lot on this.

Yes, adding factory style AC would be a royal pain in the posterior... Best to find one with it already.
The 442s usually got ram-air hoods, or ductwork at the front of the car. The air cleaners were different and all those are harder to find and are costly. The grilles are usually different styles. If you cannot clone the car right and completely, better to not try IMHO...

Feel free to search all over to find that special car... When you think you found it, breing the seller is nice and gives all the details and pictures you ask for, go over and see it! Just be prepared to leave empty handed if it isn't right. Make use of the time - take a short vacation along the way or something. Sometimes a good deal makes the extra effort worth it!
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM

soo the 442s from what im gathering didnt have the "luxury" options in them
well not all of them....hmm that changes my direction in where im going abit then. I definitely want AC (remember its texas lol, you know what im talking about) and Power Steering (yeah i dont have the arms to steer a huge boat like that yet haha). Power Windows is something that i can live without, and power brakes would probably be something that i would like to have, but not a necessity to me.

so i guess going by that...should i look for a Cutlass that has the options that i want and build it up to what i want then? To me, if it still has the 455 in it, and i can swap out the exhaust to be a dual, and it has AC/PS, i would definitely be pretty happy with that, i would probably end up swapping out the hood to a vented one and switching to a 4 barrel

am i finally thinking in the right direction?
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ezeikial
soo the 442s from what im gathering didnt have the "luxury" options in them
well not all of them....
I don't believe that is the case. Although 912 69 H/O's were built with roughly half having a/c. There are more survivors with a/c than w/o. I spose the theory is the hot car w/o A/C were driven harder and or totalled more.

I would also say, The 442 is one of the most luxurious "muscle cars" ever made. I've had owned as many as 8 at one time and everyone of them had a/c, power steering, power brakes,

You may be getting confused with the W cars which did not come with a/c and other "luxuries." That was due to a hotter cam and not enough vacumn.

IMHO It's more economical to buy someone else work than to change out stuff. There is always someone who for what ever reason is ready to sell.

So why not begin with a process of elimination?

No W cars

No H/Os

If you want a 455 then it's going to have to be 70 up.
If you want duals it's [most likely] going to be 70's up 442
Same for the handeling package [most likely] it's going to be 70s up 442.

or possibly a 69 that some one has replaced a blown 400 with a 455.

The 455 will most likely [again] have a 4 barrel q-ject carb. [I think I am the only one on the planet who has a 2 barrel manifold for a 455 in my garage ]

Don't jump me guys. I'm speaking Oldspeak 101 here for my new friend. I know there are exceptions. This is just "KISS" speak.
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Trying to remember member

I suggest you pick up some Olds sales literature of the years you're interested in. Get more details on *exactly* what a 442 is for a particular year, and the differences in in Cutlass models. That will give you a better idea of what is available to begin with.
You're certainly going about it right to do your homework!
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I don't believe that is the case. Although 912 69 H/O's were built with roughly half having a/c. There are more survivors with a/c than w/o. I spose the theory is the hot car w/o A/C were driven harder and or totalled more.

I would also say, The 442 is one of the most luxurious "muscle cars" ever made. I've had owned as many as 8 at one time and everyone of them had a/c, power steering, power brakes,

You may be getting confused with the W cars which did not come with a/c and other "luxuries." That was due to a hotter cam and not enough vacumn.

IMHO It's more economical to buy someone else work than to change out stuff. There is always someone who for what ever reason is ready to sell.

So why not begin with a process of elimination?

No W cars

No H/Os

If you want a 455 then it's going to have to be 70 up.
If you want duals it's [most likely] going to be 70's up 442
Same for the handeling package [most likely] it's going to be 70s up 442.

or possibly a 69 that some one has replaced a blown 400 with a 455.

The 455 will most likely [again] have a 4 barrel q-ject carb. [I think I am the only one on the planet who has a 2 barrel manifold for a 455 in my garage ]

Don't jump me guys. I'm speaking Oldspeak 101 here for my new friend. I know there are exceptions. This is just "KISS" speak.
lol well thanks for keeping it at my comprehension level haha, i really do appreciate it

right now, from what ive been thinking is that since its probably going to an issue trying to find a true 442, im thinking about going down to a cutless supreme...seeing as how ive seen a few of them with the 455's with the matching tranny to them.
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1090310524.html [btw that has a 2bbl on a 455]
this being one of the ones that ive seen that i would like to try and snag
except its a vinyl top, and i want a hard top, and to me the curves just dont flow right to me...maybe thats something that you guys can shed some light on
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1066322857.html
to me, it should flow like that

but yeah, from what ive been thinking about doing is trying to find a cutlass supreme 70-72 and putting on it what i like. Pretty much going with what everyone was telling me before lol . What i would do is definitely put on a dual exhaust and then probably swap out the hood to the vented hood, and possibly swap over the grill/badges to the 442 of that year. Put on a 4 barrel carb if the 455 didnt come with one, and honestly just focus on fixing up the interior, Since i will probably go with a straight black interior.

Pretty much what im looking at now is that the olds must have a 455, and must be a 2dr hardtop. Im not too too worried about the tranny, as long as it plays well with the 455 i'll be happy lol. I definitely do want AC and PS, and from what ive found...those 2 options seem to be more prevalent on the cutlass supremes. I havent really dove into the literature on the supremes yet, but once i do, i believe i'll be able to fine tune my overall direction a little more.

anyone have any direction/insight for me?

Last edited by Ezeikial; March 25th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM

.anyone have any direction/insight for me?
You won't be LOLing when you start fixing rust. If you can see rust, there is more than you can't see [generally speaking,] It's usually in the same place.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM

well ive kinda accepted the fact that its probably gonna be pretty hard to find something thats rust free....unless it comes from the desert southwest.

also just learned that its the cutlass SX that im looking for that came with the 455
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Here's you reading assignment for today.

Tomorrow we will have a pop quiz on rust vs. RUST

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...gone-wild.html
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM

wow i just went over that whole page...and that is seriously retarded!!!
i dont think i can seriously look at another car without checking underneath it now
yikes!!!
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM

hmm i have somewhat of a situation here guys...
there was a 72 cutlass that was suggested by one of the members a while back
and i decided to roll the dice and see what would happen if i contacted him
well it turns out that its owned by a kid, which i figured, but the thing that popped out to me was that his dad gave it to him and his dad owned the car for 20 years!
he didnt know what it had inside of it or anything like that, he said that he had to wait for his dad to get back to answer those questions.

now for the past hour and half, ive been busting my head trying to figure out what all the possibilities could be for this 72 cutlass...it is a 2dr hardtop, he did say that it had no AC, now im not sure if that means that the AC didnt work, or that it simply didnt have AC.
So what limited information i have to throw at you guys...what could i be looking at?
im quite sure its not a surpreme or a SX, because im sure he wouldve stated it, but he didnt even know what was inside of it...so again im not too too sure.
he mentioned about meeting up for the weekend and taking a look, which i think im going to do just see one in person and up close to make sure that i have my head wrapped around what i think i do lol

oh yeah...he said that while installing a radio in it, they may have tripped the killswitch and now thats why the car wont start...he said that they wired the kill switch into the cig lighter...does anyone think this is wierd?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1079809503.html
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Go look at it and post what they say about the car. Take a fridge magnet to check for bondo and a creeper or a mirror to check the underside. If it won't start, there could be several thousands reasons not just the radio story.

But remember,

"You got to kiss alot of frogs to meet a Prince."
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM

Definetely meet up and look at it in person. Get a feel for what you will be getting into and what you hope to own soon.
Do you plan to be fixing your 'new' car up more than driving it (a project) or do want an 'okay' looking daily driver, or more?

What skills do you have for working on cars? If you do not mind doing bodywork or major engine work, then you can pay a lot less initially but will spend more as time goes on as you fix. Kinda like an installment plan, where your labor is the "interest". (Interesting way to look at it...)

I looked through my books yesterday when i stayed home and found only two 442s under $10K, one with no engine and tranny and needs paint, another one modified with all sorts of non-stock stuff, making only the shell an Olds... One guy in Hemmings was selling a 72 442 CLONE for 40K and claimed it was a 9X trophy winner in 2 years!!
Cutli are easy to find in your price range.

All these cars are appreciating fast. I bought mine 1.5 years ago and it seems so cheap compared to now!

I heard of the lighter being used as a kill switch so often, the crooks will soon find out about it soon! There is a special name given to that concept but I forgot what it is...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 26th, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Here are some more suggestions, E bay motors.com, 442.com, autabuy.com, collectorcartrader.com, Hemmings Motor.com, & carsonline.com. Save these as favorites and peruse these sites at your leisure, you will eventually find a car in your price range and geographical proximity. I own a 67 olds 442 convertible and a 67 olds vista cruiser and I still look at these sites weekly. Good luck!
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Go look at it and post what they say about the car. Take a fridge magnet to check for bondo and a creeper or a mirror to check the underside. If it won't start, there could be several thousands reasons not just the radio story.

But remember,

"You got to kiss alot of frogs to meet a Prince."
well the kid that i was talking to was really interested in trying to trade me for my car, i was upfront to him about how its not really an easy car to mess with, but he still wanted to meet up tho, so im thinking about doing it, if anything just to see, cuz if anything, it might actually be in a really good condition to where i may not want to pass up on it, but again, i wont trade for something that i cant drive away with

Definetely meet up and look at it in person. Get a feel for what you will be getting into and what you hope to own soon.
Do you plan to be fixing your 'new' car up more than driving it (a project) or do want an 'okay' looking daily driver, or more?

What skills do you have for working on cars? If you do not mind doing bodywork or major engine work, then you can pay a lot less initially but will spend more as time goes on as you fix. Kinda like an installment plan, where your labor is the "interest". (Interesting way to look at it...)
i honestly would like an okay looking daily driver, because if i fix it up as nice as i picture it in my head...its bound to get stolen where i live...and when i say where i live, not my neighborhood, my city. So something that runs and drives, but doesnt look pretty is great in my book . I would like to get a lil beater car for when i do decide to finally paint it up and really make it look nice, it wont be in harms way all the time. I know i paint an ugly picture, but im probably just very protective and paranoid

As far as what i can do with cars...well given what i have worked on before...pretty much im the type of person that if i see something, and i have to figure out how to either get it off, or make it work, i'll reason it out until i have figured it out. If i can get it off, i can get it back on. Im also the type of person that if you show me once, and watch me do it and correct my mistakes, i can usually pick it up within an hour or 2. I love to get down and dirty, and dont mind doing it when its necessary. With the car i bought, there was a looot of unnecessary things that i had to do, and it just got frusterating. It was good, dont get me wrong, but when you dont have to do something, and you have to...over and over and over again. Its a lil unnerving.

I looked through my books yesterday when i stayed home and found only two 442s under $10K, one with no engine and tranny and needs paint, another one modified with all sorts of non-stock stuff, making only the shell an Olds... One guy in Hemmings was selling a 72 442 CLONE for 40K and claimed it was a 9X trophy winner in 2 years!!
Cutli are easy to find in your price range.

All these cars are appreciating fast. I bought mine 1.5 years ago and it seems so cheap compared to now!

I heard of the lighter being used as a kill switch so often, the crooks will soon find out about it soon! There is a special name given to that concept but I forgot what it is...
yeah ive seen some really high dollar clones, which i thought was crazy
ah ok, so the lighter kill switch thing is a pretty common thing then, so in a way i shouldnt have a hard time figuring out how to undo it then, because i would want to move it to something a lil less....unusual
damn im already talking like im bringing this home

Originally Posted by 442garage
Here are some more suggestions, E bay motors.com, 442.com, autabuy.com, collectorcartrader.com, Hemmings Motor.com, & carsonline.com. Save these as favorites and peruse these sites at your leisure, you will eventually find a car in your price range and geographical proximity. I own a 67 olds 442 convertible and a 67 olds vista cruiser and I still look at these sites weekly. Good luck!
thank you! ive gone through some of these sites before, but i havent seen some of these tho. i will definitely book mark them and check them out.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM

442 Possibility

Hey,
A bit late, but welcome to the site. I've read the threads and thought you would like to take a look at this Cutlass that is supposed to be a real deal 442. I also posted this in the general discussion forum for feedback on the authenticity. Heck of alot of greenbacks though. I bought my S vert from these guys a few months ago. They seem pretty honest in that they represent the car fairly accurately and I felt I got a fair deal. It was an easy transaction, but you really have to trust someone to do everything by phone, fax and email. I never would of thought I could make an investment like this without doing it in person. I was close to flying up there but I wasn't so sure she would be up to a 1500 mile trip in the midwest winter no less. So I bit the bullet and closed my eyes and clicked my heels and it went off without a hitch. And I am very pleased with what I have. Sure I would have loved to have a 442 like this one, but I have less than half the price in mine as they want for this one (and most other 442's I've seen). And that's even after paying the Texas state propety taxes due when the title is transferred! So good luck in whatever you find.
Rob
http://www.coyoteclassics.com/index....&listingID=566
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM

these are times i wish i had a boat...
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bar/1093821857.html
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Go look at it also, you can learn alot by studing stuff.

Unless of course he has this sign up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tire%20kicker.jpg (2.6 KB, 38 views)
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM

no i didnt see that sign anywhere
so im going to try to meet up with him as well

the other cutlass i inquired about has seemed to head south
i cant seem to get a response from the guy about seeing the car
so im going to try to email and inquire about it again
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM

So i went to go check out that 70s cutlass today, and i took a lot from the experience.
Well it turns out that he bought it for 4k, and he's selling it 5k because he wants to send his daughter to europe trip for next year.

So i get there and lets just say that everything looks better in pictures. Turns out that in the pictures that you couldnt see was the vertical crack in the front windshield, the couple of bubbling rust spots on the roof. The floorboards were replaced...there wasnt anything horrid under the car. i did get down and dirty and checked under the car, and checked out the frame, which turned out ok. I had my dad with me to give a 2nd pair of eyes to catch things...which he did. He caught that not all of the trim around the windshield was there, and that the pulleys on the engine didnt line up flush so the belts were a lil angled. But other than that...not having a complete interior, which is to be expected, it was pretty good.

Now for the good...It had a 350, with the 442 tranny for that year i believe. It has a 750holly carb, with headers, and dual exhaust. He is getting the seats redone at a shop, so they look really nice. He also had new tires and new rims along with new struts/springs. The car did have AC/PB/PS as well, i didnt see an antenna anywhere tho. If im right, it was a Cutlass "S"...that was on one of the badges that is saw.

So given what i described...is this about the range i should be looking at for this kind of car? The guy was very honest and upfront about everything...the cutlass started right up, and my God it sounded so awesome! i will totally be happy with a 350! He was also telling me that his neighbor had a 70s 455 with a matching tranny that both were rebuilt for $2000...if i was in another situation, i would totally buy that engine, and just look for a shell.
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Well I do not think the price is too far out of line.
Too bad about the windshield, but getting the seats done more than offsets that.
The misaligned pulleys could be as simple as but using a wrong pulley or water pump.
Does it need a paint job? The roof rust would be taken care of if repainted.
What is missing from the interior? New tires and wheels could offset that cost...
It may have a windshield antenna if there are no fender holes.
Nice to know the engine runs well. Did you take it for a drive?
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Well I do not think the price is too far out of line.
Too bad about the windshield, but getting the seats done more than offsets that.
The misaligned pulleys could be as simple as but using a wrong pulley or water pump.
Does it need a paint job? The roof rust would be taken care of if repainted.
What is missing from the interior? New tires and wheels could offset that cost...
It may have a windshield antenna if there are no fender holes.
Nice to know the engine runs well. Did you take it for a drive?
Yes it would need a paint job. From far away, it looks solid and pristine, but when you get right up on it...paint is flaking everywhere, its not in big patches, but it is in small lil spots all over the car. Also for those bubbles at the top where the paint is at, if i were to get a new paint job...they would actually cut that section out and replace it? i just thought that was more of body work then paint.
The interior is pretty much missing everything from what i could tell. The sidewalls (i believe thats what you would call it) all had the original interior just peeling off and underneath that you could see lots of shades of "rustlike" color...not going to call it rust, but thats what it resembled to me. Other than the seats...the interior was shot, and the dash had a vertical crack as well that went the whole width of the dash, and also the rear deck was completely gone as well. Also something to mention is that the windshield wipers didnt work.

So does this still sound like a 4.5k-5k car?
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM

HTML Code:
So does this still sound like a 4.5k-5k car?
Maw'in Zeek

In a word Nope.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Howdy James.

so what would be a reasonable price range?
i know the guy is looking for no less than 4.5k
because he paid 4k for the car...which from what im thinking...
he paid too much if he's done that much work to it.
But these cars arnt my forte, so i may be talking about something that i dont know about here
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM

IMHO

1] Body work/paint is very expensive and it's like redoing a house. You never know what you're going to have to do it til you get the car ready to do it. Unfortunately, that means you're kinda buying a "pig in a poke."

2] With the economic mess this country is in car prices are falling.

3] KEEP looking for a car that has a good body and an owner who NEEDS to sell.

4] What someone paid for something doesn't mean squat. [I checked my stock portfolio to figger that one out]

5] Make a list of what you are capable of doing [or have a buddy help you do] and only buy a car that you can do what needs to be done. It will save you thousands and thousands of $$$$

6] Take your time and look at as many cars as you can, learn all you can BEFORE you buy. They don't have to be Oldsmobiles, go look at some Goats or Chebys for sale in the same year[s] The more you know the more likely you are to survive the mine fields of cars for sale.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM

IMHO

1] Body work/paint is very expensive and it's like redoing a house. You never know what you're going to have to do it til you get the car ready to do it. Unfortunately, that means you're kinda buying a "pig in a poke."

2] With the economic mess this country is in car prices are falling.

3] KEEP looking for a car that has a good body and an owner who NEEDS to sell.

4] What someone paid for something doesn't mean squat. [I checked my stock portfolio to figger that one out]

5] Make a list of what you are capable of doing [or have a buddy help you do] and only buy a car that you can do what needs to be done. It will save you thousands and thousands of $$$$

6] Take your time and look at as many cars as you can, learn all you can BEFORE you buy. They don't have to be Oldsmobiles, go look at some Goats or Chebys for sale in the same year[s] The more you know the more likely you are to survive the mine fields of cars for sale.
ah ok good, i was hoping that this wasnt some diamond in the rough. I do have plenty of mechanically inclined friends. One of them is damn good with engine work, but im trying to save that savory bit for myself, but im not sure what all he knows as far as body work tho. I'm actually asking him that now. A few of my other friends has a paint gun, but i think paint is something that im going to take to a shop and not even try to risk it there. Interior work, i honestly dont have anyone that i know of that can do it. I would definitely be open to doing it myself tho, but i would definitely read as much literature as i could to make sure that i knew as best as i could as to what im doing.

The only other thing that was wrong with that cutlass was it was originally a vinyltop, but it was stripped, plus it still had the trim for the vinyl...it looked wierd
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Many vinyl top cars develope rust under the vinyl. In fact, I go so far to say most do.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM

aaah ok, so what i was looking at was a very common problem then
would i have the same issues with a hardtop?
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Captain of my ship

nope

Once the adhesive starts drying up , which takes a while , the vinyl tends to separate from the roof. once it does that the moisture can get between the vinyl and the roof.A car sitting out in cold weather then warming up creates moisture. That is why people like to get cars from dry arid places like Arizona. It's dry and no salt tends to keep metal rust free longer.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Once the adhesive starts drying up , which takes a while , the vinyl tends to separate from the roof. once it does that the moisture can get between the vinyl and the roof.A car sitting out in cold weather then warming up creates moisture. That is why people like to get cars from dry arid places like Arizona. It's dry and no salt tends to keep metal rust free longer.
yeah ive always heard thats why people like to get cars from arizona
but ive also heard in the same token that the interior and the dashes from most of the cars are complete trash because of dealing with the heat and sun

On another note guys...
is this worth 5k???
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1070818462.html

Last edited by Ezeikial; March 29th, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM

yeah ive always heard thats why people like to get cars from arizona
but ive also heard in the same token that the interior and the dashes from most of the cars are complete trash because of dealing with the heat and sun

On another note guys...
is this worth 5k???
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1070818462.html
Maw'in Zeek,

See now your learn'in and using the ole noggin. It''s true sun/heat can play hell on an interior but it's a whole lot easier and cheeper to replace an interior that fix rust.

On another note..........This one above sure looks more better than the earlier one, but aren't you in Texas?
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Maw'in Zeek,

See now your learn'in and using the ole noggin. It''s true sun/heat can play hell on an interior but it's a whole lot easier and cheeper to replace an interior that fix rust.

On another note..........This one above sure looks more better than the earlier one, but aren't you in Texas?
i thought that finding a dash would be one of THE hardest things to find for these older cars

and yeah...im in texas, but i figured that if i start branching out and looking around the arid regions, i could get a better grasp for their market on these cars...and from what ive seen, they have been in better condition out there for about the same price here.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM

i thought that finding a dash would be one of THE hardest things to find for these older cars

and yeah...im in texas, but i figured that if i start branching out and looking around the arid regions, i could get a better grasp for their market on these cars...and from what ive seen, they have been in better condition out there for about the same price here.
Interior parts are pretty easy to come by, as alot of these cars that stayed in the rustbelt had the body disintegrate, while the interiors stayed in pretty good condition, and were parted out. Also unlike fenders and quarters you can buy interior parts and have them shipped across the country without getting hammered on shipping.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Interior parts are pretty easy to come by, as alot of these cars that stayed in the rustbelt had the body disintegrate, while the interiors stayed in pretty good condition, and were parted out. Also unlike fenders and quarters you can buy interior parts and have them shipped across the country without getting hammered on shipping.
hmm good point
i was also kinda afraid of the interior issue because of how much little pieces for my car cost. i figured that there's really only a couple big pieces that come with these cars.

Does anybody got any good restoration websites that i can take a look at???
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Does anybody got any good restoration websites that i can take a look at???
Come on Zeek, you're slipping on me man. I thought you were gaining.

Yeah, How about this one.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Come on Zeek, you're slipping on me man. I thought you were gaining.

Yeah, How about this one.
lol dont be so quick to lose faith just yet
i was talking about interior-wise
mainly trying to get a gauge on the stuff like the carpets and side wall
cuz i know that you can buy pre-cut carpet
but its the side walls that im not too sure about
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM

lol dont be so quick to lose faith just yet
i was talking about interior-wise
mainly trying to get a gauge on the stuff like the carpets and side wall
cuz i know that you can buy pre-cut carpet
but its the side walls that im not too sure about
Almost always you will be looking at new carpet with a fixer upper. If by side walls you mean door panels they are repopped check Robs interior thread, if you are patient you can find OEM panels fairly cheap that aren't perfect but are very nice. As far as all the litlle pieces go they can be found cheap if you need them but usually alot of the small stuff like kick panels seat bases ashtrays etc. don't really get the sun damage something like a dash will get and will only need to be redyed.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Almost always you will be looking at new carpet with a fixer upper. If by side walls you mean door panels they are repopped check Robs interior thread, if you are patient you can find OEM panels fairly cheap that aren't perfect but are very nice. As far as all the litlle pieces go they can be found cheap if you need them but usually alot of the small stuff like kick panels seat bases ashtrays etc. don't really get the sun damage something like a dash will get and will only need to be redyed.
hmm this is refreshing to hear
what i mean by the sidewalls is the area of the car thats by the rear window
on the cutlass that i went to go see...what looked like vinyl, was peeling and shreaded. So would i just sand everything down and glue more vinyl down? or is there another process i need to look at.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM

If you mean the package tray the flat area under the rear window that is repopped IIRC about $35.00 If you mean the sail panels the area between the back window and the rear window that is also repopped.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM

wow seriously!? only $35
what about redoing the ceiling of the car?
same thing???

Quick Reply: First Post...I come to learn!