General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

First Post...I come to learn!

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM

First Post...I come to learn!

Well let me just say right now, i do not own a Olds.....yet.
I am really looking for a 2nd Gen 442, which i believe is the '69 body model.

I first had a chance to buy one about 5 years ago, but i was only 19 then, im 24 now btw, and i was really afraid of it being a bad first starter car with the gas mileage and all, but it turns out that my first car isnt that much better anyways, plus the engine bay is seriously cramped.

The main reason that i want a 442, mainly a muscle car, the 442 is just the one that calls out to me, is because my mom had a '67 mustang and my dad had a Mercury Comet. In a way, its continuing that line of tradition.

I really want to learn on how to work on cars, and ive done some minor stuff here and there, so im not afraid to get down and dirty, plus i dont want something thats all ready pretty and pristine. I want something that i can truly build up to a point and call my own.

I plan on being pretty active on this forum and trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can. Ive noticed that a lot of the Olds parts are swappable, and that just on its own baffles me.

So i guess to start out...
any pointers for someone like me that wants to get a 442?
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM

Welcome to the site Ezeikial, as for advise you are starting in a good spot. Browse through this site find posts about the pitfalls of buying an old car(the revs thread on his 69 is a good place to start). Do your homework feel free to ask all the questions you need to, and be patient there are deals to be had out there you just have to find them, good luck with it
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM

Well, im not too sure what all i could run into, that i havent run into now lol
i mainly wanna learn from you guys.

i guess first question is...
what price range should i look at for a 69/70 442 hardtop that has a strong engine, but not so-so on the exterior and interior
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Welcome.

442=$$$

The only advice I have for your 442 ambition is to bust your hump and save your money.
Either build a beater one up from scratch, a little at a time, or save a lot of money and buy one that has been done right. Run away from rot boxes.

A lot of the middle-of-the-road cars are just candy coated turds, so be careful.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Welcome.

442=$$$

The only advice I have for your 442 ambition is to bust your hump and save your money.
Either build a beater one up from scratch, a little at a time, or save a lot of money and buy one that has been done right. Run away from rot boxes.

A lot of the middle-of-the-road cars are just candy coated turds, so be careful.
Ok, ive been wondering this for a while now...
what exactly makes the 442 a money guzzler?
is it the parts, or is just because it's a 442???

to be honest with you...im looking for something that has a good running motor, or is rebuilt...im not too worried about the condition of the interior, or the exterior...just as long as there is minimal rust and the body is straight, i will be happy.
Or does that seem too much like a pipe dream?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard
Here's one of mine. Make me an offer

Friendly terms avaliable.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-69-442-a.html
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM

well honestly, that would be exactly what i am looking for
but that is waaaaaaay out of my price range tho
best of luck selling it
if i had the cash, i'd love to take it from you
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:09 AM

Weclome to the site. You might think about lowering your goals to a Olds Cutlass and start from there. Save money and still have a nice car. We all had to start someware and very few of us could start at the top
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Past Administrator

X2 on what Pat said. A nice Cutlass with a strong small block would be a pleasing car to own and in the mind's eye of many people is a muscle car. Same body styles, same engines (often), same transmission, same interior, just don't have a few of the performance upgrades and the badges. If you can drive a standard transmission that would be a plus and you just might be lucky and find a car for a fair price. Plain Janes slip through the radar sometimes. The reason I say that is some people don't consider a car with an automatic transmission to be a "muscle car" and if you are one of them then it is still possible.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

man i always do this lol
i shoot really high...probably too high

but ive always been a firm believer that you go out and get what you want, and dont settle for any less.....yeah im stubborn haha

but in all honesty tho, thank you for all of your great advice! As you can tell, i know very little about muscle cars, and even smaller about the Cutlass/442.
So if im gathering all of this correctly...im basically buying the badge and engine/power when i say i want a 442, correct?

now if i remember correctly, from what ive read...the 442 came with a 455? or was that only a certain amount of them that did?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM

68-69 had a 400 70-71 were 455's 72 could be a 350 or a 455

x3 on a cutlass. You can pick one up and have a decent looking driver with money left over for a little engine work for what you would be spending on a 442 that needs work. If you are dead set on a 442 the 68 and 69's seem to sell a little cheaper than the 70-72's(the 72 models having documentation)

Last edited by Eric Anderson; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

ooooh ok i see now
what would be better to have tho???
a 455 or a 350?
i always hear of people dropping in 350s into pretty much anything and everything
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ezeikial
ooooh ok i see now
what would be better to have tho???
a 455 or a 350?
i always hear of people dropping in 350s into pretty much anything and everything
Thats a chevy 350 you always hear about, the olds 350 is a different animal. As far as 455 or 350 you will have an easier time finding a car with a 350 but you can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM

man i always do this lol
i shoot really high...probably too high

but ive always been a firm believer that you go out and get what you want, and dont settle for any less.....yeah im stubborn haha

but in all honesty tho, thank you for all of your great advice! As you can tell, i know very little about muscle cars, and even smaller about the Cutlass/442.
So if im gathering all of this correctly...im basically buying the badge and engine/power when i say i want a 442, correct?

now if i remember correctly, from what ive read...the 442 came with a 455? or was that only a certain amount of them that did?
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland Ponies."

69 442's came with the 400 ci engine, but many have been replaced with 455 which was what came in later 442's and came in the 69 H/O.

Confused yet.

Pick a year you want and someone will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM

Follow your gut feeling...

Welcome to Classic Olds!

I do understand that one should always get what you really want, even if you have to wait and save for it. That is why i was sitting on the floor in front of the TV for a few years after I bought my house 15 years ago. I wanted a good couch and not a cheapo that would get trashed after a few years...

WHY do you want a 442 and not a Cutlass? Knowing this may help us to help you make a wise decision. A Cutlass can be had with almost all the 442 goodies for much less $$$.

The high cost of the 442 is mainly due to the limited availability and the collectability. Not many were factory made compared to the Cutlass.
The desirability of the power and performance went along with it.

The real 442's usually came with the 400+ cubes, but in some years could be had with 350s. Which one you choose is based on your desires - gas mileage or high performance. My 72's 350 gets 19mpg on the highway cruising 75, same as a new mid-sized suv!

If you get a costly 442, I would avoid making too many unreverable mods to it that would hurt its value. If you really want to make mods to it, the Cutlass route may be better and cheaper. Also, another driver's ego will be hurt more after losing a race against "just" a Cutlass!

Post # 1000!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 23rd, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Post # 1000!
And I might add, All of them have been high quality. Thanks for all 1000 of them.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM

........ im basically buying the badge ........
The badge is what makes it a 442.

Smart money bought a Cutlass with the same "performance" options. Looked cleaner, less of a "cop magnet", and lower insurance rates.

Norm
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
68-69 had a 400 70-71 were 455's 72 could be a 350 or a 455

x3 on a cutlass. You can pick one up and have a decent looking driver with money left over for a little engine work for what you would be spending on a 442 that needs work. If you are dead set on a 442 the 68 and 69's seem to sell a little cheaper than the 70-72's(the 72 models having documentation)
well i really didnt want to dive too heavy into engine mods. Id really like to have something thats set that i wont have to mess with right away. If something goes out 3-6 months after i get it...then thats cool with me. The car i had now, i was very impatient, and it sat in my drive way for a year before i could take it out and drive it. So needless to say...ive learned my lesson with that.
But to answer your question...i guess a 69/70 hardtop seems to be right about the money maker of what'd id want.

Thats a chevy 350 you always hear about, the olds 350 is a different animal. As far as 455 or 350 you will have an easier time finding a car with a 350 but you can't go wrong with either IMHO.
so where does that leave the 400 at???

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland Ponies."

69 442's came with the 400 ci engine, but many have been replaced with 455 which was what came in later 442's and came in the 69 H/O.

Confused yet.

Pick a year you want and someone will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
not quiet that confused.....yet. I just figured that H/O meant that it was a built by Hurst, lol i had a totally different idea xD
but if i had to pick a year...id say 69-71

Welcome to Classic Olds!

I do understand that one should always get what you really want, even if you have to wait and save for it. That is why i was sitting on the floor in front of the TV for a few years after I bought my house 15 years ago. I wanted a good couch and not a cheapo that would get trashed after a few years...

WHY do you want a 442 and not a Cutlass? Knowing this may help us to help you make a wise decision. A Cutlass can be had with almost all the 442 goodies for much less $$$.

The high cost of the 442 is mainly due to the limited availability and the collectability. Not many were factory made compared to the Cutlass.
The desirability of the power and performance went along with it.

The real 442's usually came with the 455s, but in some years could be had with 350s. Which one you choose is based on your desires - gas mileage or high performance. My 72's 350 gets 19mpg on the highway cruising 75, same as a new mid-sized suv!

If you get a costly 442, I would avoid making too many unreverable mods to it that would hurt its value. If you really want to make mods to it, the Cutlass route may be better and cheaper. Also, another driver's ego will be hurt more after losing a race against "just" a Cutlass!

Post # 1000!
well the reason that i want a 442 is because that was the first car i saw that i was just like........same body as a cutlass i know, but to me its almost the equivalent of just buying that epiphone les paul guitar, when you really wanted the gibson les paul. They both do the same thing, but theyre both in totally different classes. ok maybe that wasnt a good way to stake my claim, but its just that thing inside of you that you know if you had only held out longer, you wouldve gotten what you REALLY wanted. I dont really want to race it, i just mainly want to have it cruise it. im not really here to chase big numbers...if the one i find has a 455, then so be it, if the one i find has a 350 in it, then so be it. the only thing that i would really be picky about is the paint scheme, and that can be changed on any 442, thus why i am looking for something thats being rebuilt, because i dont want to take an already pristine 442, and change the color on it. To me thats just sorta defacing the car, but thats me tho.

I hope that answered some of your questions you had for me.
Im really liking it here! Everyone is so friendly and willing to help!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
The badge is what makes it a 442.

Smart money bought a Cutlass with the same "performance" options. Looked cleaner, less of a "cop magnet", and lower insurance rates.

Norm
hey hey hey....that was in the form of a question to make sure i was understanding everything correctly :P

but if the cutlass and 442 both looked the same...w/o the badges...then wouldnt it be a cop magnet none the less???
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM

well i really didnt want to dive too heavy into engine mods.
I was just thinking an exhaust upgrade, mabey an intake and 4 barrel...etc...not any major engine work, stuff you could do in a day without keeping the car off the road.

so where does that leave the 400 at???
A good engine as well, however a 350 will be easier to find.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM

I was just thinking an exhaust upgrade, mabey an intake and 4 barrel...etc...not any major engine work, stuff you could do in a day without keeping the car off the road.

A good engine as well, however a 350 will be easier to find.
well i wouldnt mind doing the exhaust and intake...but i have no clue what you mean when you say 4 barrel
what else could be done thats not too intensive???
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM

well i wouldnt mind doing the exhaust and intake...but i have no clue what you mean when you say 4 barrel
what else could be done thats not too intensive???
4 barrel carburetor, most cutlass' will have a 2 barrel. A 4 barrel is basically 2 2 barrels put together to make 1 carb. More air + more fuel=more power. Another easy place to upgrade is in the ignition system.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM

aaah ok ok gotcha!!! im guessing that the best way to go about getting a 4 barrel is getting one new, or would finding a used one be just as good if its in decent shape?

lol you're really hitting on my weakness area now
but thats cool tho, these are question that i wouldnt know to ask
because i wouldnt come up with these kinds of ideas at the moment
man im here trying to find a car, and you already got me thinking about upgrades :P

also...are sites like this ok to consider or parts? or should i stay away from it???
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...0+1970/c-10101
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM

aaah ok ok gotcha!!! im guessing that the best way to go about getting a 4 barrel is getting one new, or would finding a used one be just as good if its in decent shape?
Either way works

also...are sites like this ok to consider or parts? or should i stay away from it???
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...0+1970/c-10101
If you want to buy online Rock Auto is a good site(good prices), I have purchased alot of parts from Summit in the past as well, IMHO jcwhitney sells kind of cheesy stuff(although I have bought stuff there before)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

Either way works

If you want to buy online Rock Auto is a good site(good prices), I have purchased alot of parts from Summit in the past as well, IMHO jcwhitney sells kind of cheesy stuff(although I have bought stuff there before)
ah ok then, its just that ive been kinda conditioned with my old car that if im not buying something thats barely used, im better off buying oem
so all of this..."luxury"...is new to me
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM

Ok, I think you could find a Cutlass easier than a 442...money wise and get a sounder vehicle. You might want to consider a full size 1965 or 1966 car such as a Delta or Starfire.....these 2 years had a standard big block 425, automatic dual exhaust on the Sfire, with power plenty and can be modded for even more HP....real easy to work on and pretty inexpensive to purchase.....just a thought....after all wouldnt you rather be driving it than have it sitting in the driveway while your saving up enough to get it roadworthy?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Past Administrator

Maybe you could go take a look at this one.

Or this one, it's a pretty nice looking VC.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy

Whats the difference?
I see no VC...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
And I might add, All of them have been high quality. Thanks for all 1000 of them.
You obviously missed the gross mistake in that post, omitting the 403! Just testing your alertness ... I corrected it just now.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 23rd, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM

well the reason that i want a 442 is because that was the first car i saw that i was just like........same body as a cutlass i know, but to me its almost the equivalent of just buying that epiphone les paul guitar, when you really wanted the gibson les paul. They both do the same thing, but theyre both in totally different classes. ok maybe that wasnt a good way to stake my claim, but its just that thing inside of you that you know if you had only held out longer, you wouldve gotten what you REALLY wanted.

Im really liking it here! Everyone is so friendly and willing to help!
So it sounds like you really want a REAL 442, so that is what you should get. Folow your gut feeling so there will be no regrets... Either find one in your price range that needs some work, or save up for one that is in better shape. They keep appreciating, so look now. You never know what you might find.
Might I ask a price range that you are leaning towards?
Also, do a search here on the 1972 442 W29 option package. This is one 442 you can get a 350 in and would cost less than the big block monsters. Just look out for clones!

Glad you are enjoying it here - there are more swell Olds lovers here than on any other Olds site (IMHO)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Ok, I think you could find a Cutlass easier than a 442...money wise and get a sounder vehicle. You might want to consider a full size 1965 or 1966 car such as a Delta or Starfire.....these 2 years had a standard big block 425, automatic dual exhaust on the Sfire, with power plenty and can be modded for even more HP....real easy to work on and pretty inexpensive to purchase.....just a thought....after all wouldnt you rather be driving it than have it sitting in the driveway while your saving up enough to get it roadworthy?
yes i would love to be driving rather than watching it sit in the driveway, thats why i plan to be extremely patient with this as well, and while im being patient, im going to be putting money aside for it

i need to see how far that is from me, but here's my achilles heel...i have no clue what to offer for that

Whats the difference?
I see no VC...

You obviously missed the gross mistake in that post, omitting the 403! Just testing your alertness ... I corrected it just now.
ok glad i wasnt the only one that i caught that lol

So it sounds like you really want a REAL 442, so that is what you should get. Folow your gut feeling so there will be no regrets... Either find one in your price range that needs some work, or save up for one that is in better shape. They keep appreciating, so look now. You never know what you might find.
Might I ask a price range that you are leaning towards?
Also, do a search here on the 1972 442 W29 option package. This is one 442 you can get a 350 in and would cost less than the big block monsters. Just look out for clones!

Glad you are enjoying it here - there are more swell Olds lovers here than on any other Olds site (IMHO)
yes you are right...i want a REAL 442. I was talking about it with my dad just now, and he thinks that getting a cutlass like everyone else was suggesting to do would probably be the better route since i really dont care about number matching of the vehicle, and pretty much dressing it up as if it were a 442, but to me thats like painting tigers stripes on a house cat...no matter how good of a job you do, its still a house cat and wont ever be a tiger.
Right now, i want to try and find something in the 4k-6k range...again thats right now, i dont plan on trying to jump on anything until i see some green lights from you people, and i wouldnt mind the 350 package to be honest. Im sure i said this before, but im not chasing big numbers here, all i care about is that it came out of the factory as a 442...the paint on the other hand is at my discretion
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

Ok, somehow my cut 'n paste procedure failed. Here is the Vista Cruiser I was wanting to refer to.

I did notice that there are different wheel treatments in different pictures, from no covers, to wheel covers, to chrome wheels. Not sure which ones would actually be on the car. You might be able to find a member from this forum to go look at a car with you to help you determine the value of it before you make an offer. I know of two or three but would not want to make a promise on their behalf. Maybe someone will have some time to do so.
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Here is the Vista Cruiser I was wanting to refer to...
I shouldn't have asked... This is not too far from me and I was wanting a VC... Not to bad a shape, and with A/C, PW, and 455! Too bad the Cragars do not come with it...
Anyone want my Caddy so i will have room for the VC??
Dan, you really got me thinking now....
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Past Administrator

Well, sorry then. Or maybe you'll be thanking me for a heads up on your "new" car soon...
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Ok, somehow my cut 'n paste procedure failed. Here is the Vista Cruiser I was wanting to refer to.

I did notice that there are different wheel treatments in different pictures, from no covers, to wheel covers, to chrome wheels. Not sure which ones would actually be on the car. You might be able to find a member from this forum to go look at a car with you to help you determine the value of it before you make an offer. I know of two or three but would not want to make a promise on their behalf. Maybe someone will have some time to do so.
im sorry but the first thing that popped up into my head is Eric Foreman from That 70's Show asking his dad to use the car and driving it around lol
i see where you were going with it tho...same front end, same 442 engine, but that is definitely not the hardtop that i had in mind lol

how much would you guys pay for a non-# matching 442 that had a decent engine, say not rebuilt, so-so interior, with AC and very minimal rust????
lets also say it was a '72 that had a 350 in it.
now how much would you be willing to pay if the engine was rebuilt?
and lets say if it was a 455???

im kinda asking for 3 different price ranges here, so i can get my head in a guage of where it needs to be
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Honestly that is a tough question to answer depending on options year origional color etc. I'll say 3,000-15,000 you pretty much need to find a car then ask if tis worth the asking price . Keep in mind if you find a 72 that is supposed to be a 442 you need documentation to back it up as the vin does not state whether or not it is a 442. To buy a car that has a freshly and I'll add quality rebuilt engine will add thousands to the price, if you are paying a premium to somebody claiming a rebuilt engine you will want to see some reciepts to back it up IMO.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

hmm im starting to give into this 68-72 cutlass option that everyone has recommended and just build it up to be a 442, altho i would rather not do that for stated reasons before, but i'll just have to see my options when they start popping up.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Honestly that is a tough question to answer depending on options year origional color etc. I'll say 3,000-15,000 you pretty much need to find a car then ask if tis worth the asking price .
X2 on this...
Start hitting the classifieds, craigslist, evilbay (if you want), classic car trader, etc. and find something in your price range. If you find something that really catches your eye and cannot tell its worth, come back here with some good details and perhaps we can help you decide if it is worth it. I have a bunch of old car mags at home; I will try to remember to look in them to see what I find...
Just be patient - It took me 6 months to find mine on the other side of the US! I searched daily, too...
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM

X2 on this...
Start hitting the classifieds, craigslist, evilbay (if you want), classic car trader, etc. and find something in your price range. If you find something that really catches your eye and cannot tell its worth, come back here with some good details and perhaps we can help you decide if it is worth it. I have a bunch of old car mags at home; I will try to remember to look in them to see what I find...
Just be patient - It took me 6 months to find mine on the other side of the US! I searched daily, too...
well the more and more i toy with this idea of a clone, the more im curious about what kind of effort it'll take to actually do it right.
How easy/hard is it to find 455s
and see now we're getting into something that may be over my head at the moment because i really didnt want to get into engine swapping
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM

hmm ok...i just read up on the 3G cutlass, and im a lil confused...
what was the major difference from the 3G cutlass and the 442???
i mean i know the 442 was the supreme package, but from what im reading
the 455's and the 350's were still being used in them.
the only major difference that ive seen is that there were 4 door options and a VC
since i did a lil more research into this...and engine swap doesnt seem to be in order if i find what i like, so this seems more plausible now

heh sorry for being a stick in the mud before
dont get me wrong, i still want a 442 xD

how does this look???
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1086709469.html

Last edited by Ezeikial; March 24th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM

hmm ok...i just read up on the 3G cutlass, and im a lil confused...
Me too... What is a 3g Cutlass? The G-body 80's ones? If so, which do YOU like more as for style? Engine outputs are low in the 80s... The 80's 442 engine puts out less than the '72 350 with duals. Few easy mods for the 80's engine also.

i mean i know the 442 was the supreme package, but from what im reading the 455's and the 350's were still being used in them.
Maybe this was misworded, but in 1972 the 442 package was available on the S and Supreme lines. Either engine was available in that year. The potent W30 package (455 with ram air and duals) was the cream of the crop then!

dont get me wrong, i still want a 442 xD
how does this look???
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1086709469.html
Well it is not a 442, but looks to be a good project for the $ if there is no major rust or drivetrain issues.
A paint job adds maybe 3000, new high quality interior might add 2000 or more. So for 7K, it will look very nice. You can put more into it as you get the time and $$. Any options you cannot live without like A/C? That can be a pain to add later...

As for creating a 442 clone, it is often almost as expensive as just buying an original... The engine, tranny, hood, grilles, etc are becoming harder to find and may be costly if you find some. Repro 442-only parts are high.
Perhaps look out for cars for sale that were cloned long ago... An honest seller will sell for not much over a regular Cutlass. This is how I got mine. It also had no major rust, bood bodywork and paint, and a good drivetrain. I loved the color combos also! I had to travel from Dallas to S. Carolina to get her, but it was worth it. I drove her home with no real issues and did a little vacationing along the way. So prepare to search the country if needed!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 24th, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: First Post...I come to learn!