General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Factory Shop Manual - Paper or CD?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2018, 09:34 PM

Factory Shop Manual - Paper or CD?

Hello

Finally getting around to getting some help for the 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado I have.
Im doing some searching, and wondering what peoples preference is.. and recommendations where to get them from.

I see on eBay I can get a CD manual for 25 with 12 shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Oldsmo...cAAOSwB4NWu7CD

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Old July 1st, 2018, 10:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Get an original factory shop manual. Do not get a reprint of the CD version. You want one with a few greasy fingerprints on it. You should find one on ebay but prices can vary. You should be able to get one of $35-40.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:54 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Get an original factory shop manual. Do not get a reprint of the CD version. You want one with a few greasy fingerprints on it. You should find one on ebay but prices can vary. You should be able to get one of $35-40.
I agree that an original is best, but I have a reprint and it has all the pages and has held up well over the years. I think I got it from Faxon.

Actually, I make copies of the spec sheets and frequently used pages and put them in page protectors and three ring binders. That's the old project manager in me.

Rather than buying a CD, look here for an on line version:

https://cardiagn.com/
Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Original 1984 paper manuals can be had on ebay for considerably less than the price of that CD. Write a search string and run it daily. You'll find them quickly.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:05 AM

I bought a reprint of the '67 chassis manual. It was well done, with clear, easy to read text and diagrams. But it had one big problem that I didn't notice until I needed that part of the manual, and I didn't think to check when I bought it. The wiring diagrams, which are in color so you can tell which wire is which as you trace them and as you compare them to what's on the car, were not copied in color in the reprint. You cannot tell the colors of the wires in a black-and-white reprint, so the wiring diagrams are MUCH less useful. I bought an original CSM on ebay shortly after finding that problem.

I presume a pdf version on a CD would have been scanned in color, so a CD manual might be OK in that regard. But original paper is still the best.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM

Here's a paper one. About $50 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Oldsmo...oAAOSwHLNZQaUQ

Another, also about $50 with $5 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-OLDSMO....c100005.m1851

You probably want one of these, too. They're not much money, but there are a lot of them for sale on ebay, and I'm guessing they're needed frequently by anyone servicing these cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Oldsmo...0AAOxyuCJRb42-

Here's an electrical manual with a supplement included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Oldsmo...kAAOSw3h1ZQaUL

There's lots more of these on ebay if you look around.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Geeze, could you find a more expensive version???

This is why I said write a search string. Here is the CSM currently at $10 plus $7 for shipping. Here is the ETM for $9.50 with free shipping.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:32 AM

Geeze, I didn't say he had to buy one of the ones I pointed at. I said there were many more available. I was just listing the first few I came across to show how readily available they are.

Chill out!
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

$10 is as cheap as you will ever find them. Better jump on those.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:37 PM

Wow thanks for those links.
I emailed the fellow about shipping on them. Thank you!
I was obviously not searching the right things on eBay

i will admit I was thinking about getting the CD version. But like what was mentioned, I never thought they were scans, and that they might not be in colour on the wiring diagrams.

Thanks for all the help.
I have 3 projects to do

Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Russfest
I never thought they were scans
What did you think they were?

Remember, this is 1984, not 2018 or 2008 or even 1998. There were no pdf files. There were no desktop scanners. There were no CD ROM drives. (There were no CDs at all, except that they were just then starting to replace vinyl LPs.) We still put actual film in our cameras and got it developed at Fotomat. 5.25-inch floppy disks, monochrome monitors with Hercules graphics cards or low-resolution CGA color monitors with a whopping four-color, 320 by 200 resolution ruled the day. There were still mimeograph machines in offices and schools. Actually "Xeroxing" something with a Xerox copier was still somewhat exotic, expensive, and not found in every office. I was in school at the time, and there was ONE copier in a central location that was shared by all of the departments in the three-story building, which probably amounted to something like 300 or 400 people using one copier.

The ONLY version of these manuals produced originally was on paper. Thus the only way they are in electronic form today is because someone scanned a paper copy.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 2nd, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:12 PM

You think they were linotyped originally?
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:22 PM

I have a very rare Gutenberg edition of the 70 CSM on papyrus.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What did you think they were?

Remember, this is 1984, not 2018 or 2008 or even 1998. There were no pdf files. There were no desktop scanners. There were no CD ROM drives. (There were no CDs at all, except that they were just then starting to replace vinyl LPs.) We still put actual film in our cameras and got it developed at Fotomat. 5.25-inch floppy disks, monochrome monitors with Hercules graphics cards or low-resolution CGA color monitors with a whopping four-color, 320 by 200 resolution ruled the day. There were still mimeograph machines in offices and schools. Actually "Xeroxing" something with a Xerox copier was still somewhat exotic, expensive, and not found in every office. I was in school at the time, and there was ONE copier in a central location that was shared by all of the departments in the three-story building, which probably amounted to something like 300 or 400 people using one copier.

The ONLY version of these manuals produced originally was on paper. Thus the only way they are in electronic form today is because someone scanned a paper copy.
Ha! I deserved that, as yes I should have realized.
I think you enjoyed writing that.
I was born in the late 70’s.

I was surprised when I saw there was CD available for these. Now it makes sense.

Thank you for the replies

Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Russfest
Ha! I deserved that, as yes I should have realized.
I think you enjoyed writing that.
I was born in the late 70’s.
My comments were not intended as a criticism, but I suspected that you are too young to remember anything before the era of CDs, digital cameras, and the internet. There really was a time when there were video rental stores on every street corner renting VHS tapes and when cell phones did not exist, "car phones" were exotic and expensive and only used by people on TV like "Cannon" (go look that one up), and we had to actually use landline phones at home and....gasp....pay phones when on the road!

It was also a time when people at a table in a restaurant had no choice but to talk to each other.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

My comments were not intended as a criticism, but I suspected that you are too young to remember anything before the era of CDs,

What is this "CD" of which you speak?

Heck, I haven't had a laptop with a CD drive in at least five years.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 02:13 PM

I have been happy with the CSM for my 65 in PDF from Dave Graham Literature. Wiring diagrams are in color and convenient to use, enlarge and print. That said, original can't be beat. Having both is ideal.
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What is this "CD" of which you speak?

Heck, I haven't had a laptop with a CD drive in at least five years.
I was having trouble responding to this because I forgot to disable call waiting on my phone, and my acoustic coupler lost the connection.
Old July 4th, 2018, 05:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I was having trouble responding to this because I forgot to disable call waiting on my phone, and my acoustic coupler lost the connection.

Shoot. Now you made coffee come out my nose.
Old July 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Frank, that is really funny.
Old July 4th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Speaking for myself, my preference is always for a paper manual. Given the low cost of a CD I tend to have both. I can tell you the paper manual sees a whole lot more use than the CD. I also like having a Motors Manual, if available.

Old July 4th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Hard to beat those old Motor manuals. The way they explain all the different systems is fantastic. I have collected them for years and pretty much have been giving them away to people that can use them as I downsize. They explain better then the factory sometimes. All the old independent garages and gas stations bought one each year.
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
^^^^This. OEM printings show the details in better clarity. I had a set of Manuals for my 83 Ninety Eight. One was for the Chassis, and one for Electrical. Yeah, that much stuff and crammed into 2 volumes about 2" thick each.
Old July 4th, 2018, 05:29 PM

The two books for my Bravada are two and a half inches thick each. Cannon...hell, think about Peter Gunn.
Old July 4th, 2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
I have a very rare Gutenberg edition of the 70 CSM on papyrus.
The down side of papyrus is it is not to be used when the humidity is above 40 percent.
Old July 15th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I bought a reprint of the '67 chassis manual. It was well done, with clear, easy to read text and diagrams. But it had one big problem that I didn't notice until I needed that part of the manual, and I didn't think to check when I bought it. The wiring diagrams, which are in color so you can tell which wire is which as you trace them and as you compare them to what's on the car, were not copied in color in the reprint. You cannot tell the colors of the wires in a black-and-white reprint, so the wiring diagrams are MUCH less useful. I bought an original CSM on ebay shortly after finding that problem.
Until I read that ^^^ I've been saying that a reprint was just as good as an old original. I never realized there were color pages, so I've been hand coloring the circuits on the reprint version as needed!

In New England, they call that "dawn breaks over Marble Head". I'll never suggest a reprint version again.

Thanks Jaunty!
Old July 16th, 2018, 02:06 PM

I ended up buying both of those linked cheaper manuals off of eBay.

Now I have to find the time to work on it.

Thanks to everyone with the suggestions and comments.