General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

That Explains it...

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
same but different

That Explains it...

My car had become difficult to restart hot recently. Pumping the trottle had no effect even repeatedly. Priming the carb with a little fuel from a bottle, did the trick.

....And thats when I noticed the accellerator pump arm was off. Of course this took at least two attempts to notice. I put it back on but it would not stay there. Thats when you see the casting boss for the pump arm is broken and jigling around

Just when you think you got it right, there is allways something else to fix on these old cars. Hmm..whats next ? I'm off to the junk bin, in hope to find an airhorn that will swap.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM

It's always something lol. If you don't have one let me know and I'll look through the few Quadrajets that I've set aside over the years.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM

There is always JBweld to try until you find the right airhorn...
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Hey, no big deal....I am stupid when it comes to these quadrajets...(no, I'm not calling you stupid, but me)....I pulled into a gas station a couple of weeks ago, and the thing died when I pulled up to the pump. Tried to start it, and it just turned and turned and turned....thinking it was the timing, I got out of the car, mad, of course, filled the car, then tried to start it.....still wouldn't start. Kept kicking the foot feed, and it finally rumbled to a start. Nursed it home, ran fine, and pulled it into the garage. It cooled for awhile, then I popped the hood to look around.....BEHOLD! This quarajet has an electric choke...(I'm previously a 2 barrel Nova man), and the wire to the electric choke was laying on the intake manifold....geez, I don't know why it wouldn't start.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM

You can also try fabricating a piece of metal that will match up where the broken piece is and hold it in place under that front carb mounting bolt. Put the metal bracket between two washers to keep it from spinning when you tighten the bolt. Should hold well enough until you find another part or, if you don't care how it looks, may work for many years.