General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Epoxy Floor coatings for a concrete patio floor?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2023 | 12:34 PM

Epoxy Floor coatings for a concrete patio floor?

Not car related, but...

I've used the Rust-Oleum 2 part epoxy floor coating on my garage floor (Gray with the gray/blue/black flakes) and the gloss clear on top and have had very good results. It has seemed to hold up very well to my abuse (10 years now). The only thing I would say is a negative is that it is very slippery when wet. I didn't use the anti-slip grit in the clear, but this is the result I wanted...smooth, durable and easy to clean. Now to my question.

Has anyone used this for an outdoor concrete patio surface? In this case I would probably use the anti-slip grit so it wouldn't be as slick when wet. My only concern would be how easy it would be to clean it with the grit in it being used outside. I know there are other DIY outdoor coatings that look really good, but I don't want to experiment with something new if I don't know how well it would hold up...or even adhere to the concrete. The concrete is clean with no grease/oil spills so that's not an issue...I've seen some bad reviews on some of the other products and want to avoid those problems. The patio is 18' x 36' with 28' of it being covered. I would use the Tan with the tan flakes and clear with anti-slip grit in it. I've read that using half of the bag of grit that comes in the kit would be sufficient, but I don't know.

What has everybody used that has done something like this?
Thanks,
Old April 10th, 2023 | 03:20 PM

Don't do it if subjected to direct sunlight. It's not UV resistant. I coated my 2-car garage attached to the house and the shop floor with it, both when the concrete was new and cured. Applied strictly to the directions. Didn't use the clear on top of it, but I did use the flakes. Still easy to clean but won't slip on your *** when wet going on 20 years now. Still looks good. However, the edges that went beneath the door and were visible from the outside faded, baked, and wore away within 3 years.
Old April 10th, 2023 | 05:24 PM

Agreed with the UV concerns, The epoxy paint does not play well with direct sunlight. (Yellowing) I also strongly agree with your “slippery when wet” approach. Outdoor surfaces that are subject to direct sunlight are better suited for stain/sealer for better longevity in our area. I also live in the Lone Star, and have opted to just let it my more recent mud pour/masterpieces to cook environmentally while I’m focusing my money towards more important fish/car stuff to fry. (No pun intended)🙃. See photo for “recent” sidewalk pour. Simple, clean., affective.

Last edited by Funkwagon455; April 10th, 2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old April 11th, 2023 | 06:21 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I agree with the UV concerns. When I did my garage I flaked and cleared everything from the door lip in. There was a strip about a foot wide that is just the epoxy and now after 10 years it has faded badly...still there just faded from the sun. I brushed the joints in the floor by hand where the roller couldn't get and after time you can tell where the color is a little different than the rest of the floor. I still love this coating in the garage and would definitely do it again (in a garage), but I think I'll try something else on the patio.

This is right after I first applied it:

This is 6 months ago...the circular stain is gone, but you can see how the sun has faded the strip outside the door. Also, if you look at the joint that runs vertically in the picture, you can see where the clear is thicker from me brushing it on then applying more with the roller. It's slightly discolored bout 2" each side of the joint.

Here's my patio before...

And after...

I think I'll go with something more suited for outdoor use. There are some other products available, I just don't have any experience using them.

Thanks
Chris
Old April 11th, 2023 | 06:20 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by KCTexan
Thanks for the replies!

I agree with the UV concerns. When I did my garage I flaked and cleared everything from the door lip in. There was a strip about a foot wide that is just the epoxy and now after 10 years it has faded badly...still there just faded from the sun. I brushed the joints in the floor by hand where the roller couldn't get and after time you can tell where the color is a little different than the rest of the floor. I still love this coating in the garage and would definitely do it again (in a garage), but I think I'll try something else on the patio.

This is right after I first applied it:

This is 6 months ago...the circular stain is gone, but you can see how the sun has faded the strip outside the door. Also, if you look at the joint that runs vertically in the picture, you can see where the clear is thicker from me brushing it on then applying more with the roller. It's slightly discolored bout 2" each side of the joint.

Here's my patio before...

And after...

I think I'll go with something more suited for outdoor use. There are some other products available, I just don't have any experience using them.

Thanks
Chris
All the previous posts are correct. Epoxy is a terrible top coat as it is extremely susceptible to uv degradation. All epoxies are by nature. Even indoors uv will discolor them relatively quickly.

Polyaspartic is better in every way. In my detached garage I used epoxy and it was yellowing within 6 months but not that big of a deal because it’s my workshop and it’s already a tan color. It doesn’t affect the life or durability, just the appearance.

In my attached garage I did a gray epoxy paint, fully covered with black/gray flake and top coated with polyaspartic clear. I will never use anything but polyaspartic on concrete again. It looks better, it’s easier to use, it cures faster, it’s far more durable and it’s highly uv resistant.

Both look great upon application, but the polyaspartic is the better product, hands down. If you do have an epoxy that you like, you can use that and top coat it with polyaspartic and it will provide uv protection.

Old April 12th, 2023 | 12:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion ijasond!
What did you use on the floor in your bottom picture? And, is it slick when wet?

Also, did you apply it yourself or hire it done?

Last edited by KCTexan; April 12th, 2023 at 12:40 PM.