Can you dye Floor Mats ?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2022, 06:58 PM

Can you dye Floor Mats ?

I see Fusick sells rubber, reproduction floor mats for ‘70 442’s but they only come in black. Can these be dyed green ?
Old August 31st, 2022, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Chances are the dye won't adhere and peel off from use.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 01:20 PM

I can't speak to the Fusick mats, but I had a pair of factory mats from 30+ years ago that were dyed black (over tan and green). The tan/black fell apart and I threw it away, but I just went out to look at the green one. The shoe heel area was pretty scraped up, but the majority of the black dye was still on there. I know there is a member looking for some green mats, so I thought maybe I'll try and strip this old dye off. MEK, Acetone, lacquer thinner barely touched it. It took Aircraft Stripper to get the dye off, and it took two applications. I guess the bottom line is "you never know until you try", but for sure it won't be a perfect solution. If you can get a dye color you like, do the best prep and application as the product recommends, then keep a touch up can of the color nearby, I think you'll have reasonable results. Maybe they're only "show mats" and they stay in the trunk until it's time to lay them down for people to look at. Use something else for actual driving conditions.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 09:52 PM

Thanks Bob
Old September 5th, 2022, 06:33 AM

So I was unsuccessful stripping the old black off the green mat - there’s some kind of clear on the surface of a factory mat, and the stripper took it off, basically ruining everything. So let’s make it black again.

I really messed this mat up stripping the old dye off.

Sand Free, then immediate application of the dye before it dries. Light coats you can see through.

Wet on wet application

As good as this will look - perfectly passable in the car. Took over half a can of the SEM color.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; September 5th, 2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old September 6th, 2022, 05:53 AM

I had a set dyed professionally, it all came off. Look for nOS. It took me a while but I found a camel set. I know a parts guy who found a green set in sage recently. Not sure application.