General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

engine paint color for 67 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM

engine paint color for 67 Toronado

i had some GTO blue engine paint for a Pontiac. It is close to the engine color for the 67 Olds, but this Toronado is too nice a car to be close..I need the right color.. What I'm wondering is the paint for a 455 70 olds engine the same color as the 67 Toronado? It the blue Olds engine paint that NAPA has the right color? I know Fusick has the right color but at about $40 bucks for a spray bomb is a little much..The Toronado was a rotis restoration but they didn't replace the aluminum rocker stands and they were worn and the engine was rattling. I replaced one side and it quietened right down so I need to do the other side now and when I sat the valve cover down, the paint was soft and it messed up the surface. so I need to repaint the valve covers..any info is appreciated..also has anyone lowered a 67 Toronado? I know the front won't be a problem with the torsion bars, but the rear is a little tricky since Olds put the rear end under the leaf spring so lowering blocks won't work. I don't think it will lower but a few inches since the oil pan and the trans pan are already pretty close to the ground and lower than the chassis..Also does anyone have big tires and wheels under their Toronado? I wonder how much width and diameter the wheels wells will accomodate..
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gforcecuda@gmail.com
i had some GTO blue engine paint for a Pontiac. It is close to the engine color for the 67 Olds, but this Toronado is too nice a car to be close..I need the right color.. What I'm wondering is the paint for a 455 70 olds engine the same color as the 67 Toronado? It the blue Olds engine paint that NAPA has the right color? I know Fusick has the right color but at about $40 bucks for a spray bomb is a little much..
The paint color is unique to the early Toronados. The later Olds metallic blue is not correct and I'm not aware of any other source. Fusick is expensive because they spent a lot to get the correct match and there is little demand. On the other hand, if you're lowering the car and installing oversize wheels and tires, it isn't clear why you're worried about the correct engine paint color.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I agree with Joe. If you put aftermarket wheels on it just use the POR 15 brush on paint for the engine. Its durability FAR exceeds any spray on paint I have ever seen. They have 2 or 3 shades of blue available.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The paint color is unique to the early Toronados. The later Olds metallic blue is not correct and I'm not aware of any other source. Fusick is expensive because they spent a lot to get the correct match and there is little demand. On the other hand, if you're lowering the car and installing oversize wheels and tires, it isn't clear why you're worried about the correct engine paint color.
This car was a first class rotis restoration on a 60K mile one owner West Texas absolutely rust free car.
the engine bay is pristine as is the rest of the car. I just screwed up one of the valve covers when I had it off and laid a rag on it..The spray bomb paint just was a little soft due to the engine heat that hadn't cooled all the way down..So all I have to do is paint the one valve cover and it's look near perfect..i'm not going to change anything else on the car except lower it some and fill those mammoth wheel wells with some cool tires and wheels. i liked the wheels Leno had made for his Toronado. I have a 66 Riviera I was planning on doing and like them a little better than the Olds, but I bought the Olds for way less than I would wind up spending on the Buick..