General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electronic ignition vs points

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:18 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I don't think I understand......what do you guys recommend points or HEI??
I think we need at least 3 more pages for it to be clear.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I don't think I understand......what do you guys recommend points or HEI??
I think we need at least 3 more pages for it to be clear.
There are only a few people making recommendations. The question I asked the OP was simple. I, and others don't see the advantage of installing HEI when his points system isn't causing him any problems.

It's totally up to you what kind of ignition system you want to maintain in your car.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by s i 442
2, install new $60 Ebay HEI distributor, hook up switched power wire, new 8MM wires, start car drive away from trash can with old 45 year old broke in half distributor.
Alternately, do a tune up so you have new points, install the same new 8mm wires, and keep the $60 in your wallet...

Once again, the plugs neither know nor care if the voltage sent to them was triggered by a mechanical set of points or a semiconductor. The "butt dyno" is never well calibrated, and if you've spent money on a shiny new Chinesium distributor, your butt will CERTAINLY tell you there's a performance improvement. And if you have replacing burned points, a pitted distributor cap, and plug wires with broken down insulation, I also guarantee that you'll get an improvement. If, however, your old ignition system is properly maintained, you won't see a bit of performance improvement if you actually run a back-to-back test at the track (or at the pump).

As I said several pages ago, I am a big fan of electronic distributors, but ONLY because I'm a lazy SOB and I want the low maintenance. I don't kid myself that there's any performance improvement.

And since this will come up again, I am talking about a comparing a $60 Chinesium HEI with points, NOT an MSD 28XXL all singing, all dancing system for a highly modified drag car. Obviously when cylinder pressures get that high, there are advantages to a high-dollar crank trigger system. You get NONE of those advantages from a Chinesium distributor bought from Ebay.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ignore list.

First person I ever put on there.

Hope you never need any help.

- Eric
Remember Eric, in his own words, if he needs help he will ask for it. I am sure we will all be quick to reply.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:11 AM

I didn't know you could ignore people here? That could come in handy.

Si442, do me a favor. Open you plug gaps to .080 and keep them there. We'll discuss reliability in the future along with the benefits of 8mm wires, coil in cap distributors, ignition modules, etc.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM

You mean like I've had for the last two years and 16000 miles?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Still on the planet...

Here is step by step instructions:
1, take out old 45 year old point distributor, break in half throw away so someone else doesn't confuse it with something useable.
2, install new $60 Ebay HEI distributor, hook up switched power wire, new 8MM wires, start car drive away from trash can with old 45 year old broke in half distributor.

3, Go to Olds forum and discuss for over 3 pages on how your car runs better with HEI than points and set back and read other responses that tell you it doesn't.
4, Decide to change back to AM radio and bias ply tires because they are better also.
Moral to the story is, cheese is mold but don't eat mold but do eat cheese.

Is this the solution to the "junk" OEM points ignition you speak of?

Rebuilt distributor after pin and gear sheared off.
Put in new center shaft.

Attachment 95821

Attachment 95822

Last edited by Lonestar; July 2nd, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am not sure a Chevy in an Olds creates this much discussion.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Best comment in this whole thread. Good one Glenn!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ignore list.

First person I ever put on there.

Hope you never need any help.

- Eric
I returned the favor with the other 2 names on there, and I won't need your help so don't lose any sleep over it.

Is this the solution to the "junk" OEM points ignition you speak of?

Quote:
Put in new center shaft.

yes this is what saved my engine from stopping the firing of the engine so it quit running and didn't get hurt from no oil from the locked up oil pump.

Si442, do me a favor. Open you plug gaps to .080 and keep them there. We'll discuss reliability in the future along with the benefits of 8mm wires, coil in cap distributors, ignition modules, etc.
I didn't say .080 but since that seems to be the extreme end of it thats all you can come up with???
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Still on the planet...

Put in new center shaft.

yes this is what saved my engine from stopping the firing of the engine so it quit running and didn't get hurt from no oil from the locked up oil pump.

Regardless of what else is going on I don't ever want to see a fellow enthusiast experience engine failure. Glad it didn't happen to you and I was unaware of the circumstances from your earlier post.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:18 AM

Guys doesn't it just boil down to general preference? Mudeye, yes there are some options for putting HEI in. Just depends on which option you go with & whether you have to change/modify your air breather or not. I've read more here about putting in the Pertronix distributor for Oldsmobile so the stock breather will sit properly without modification & that it seems to work pretty good.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Allan R
Best comment in this whole thread. Good one Glenn!
Thanks Allan. This thread has gotten to the point it is serving no useful point other than comical entertainment.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:54 AM

Well naturally the Chevy would come with HEI, wouldn't it?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Professur
Well naturally the Chevy would come with HEI, wouldn't it?
Now that is funny.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM

Remember Eric, in his own words, if he needs help he will ask for it. I am sure we will all be quick to reply.

Yeah, I backed off on this thread once my "hey dude, you might want to calm down and quit trolling" got interpreted as wanting a pissing contest by some moderators. As the Irish say, he can go to hell in his own way, as far as I am concerned.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM

I've never owned a points distributor but if one came in an older car I bought I suppose I would keep it. If I replaced it with an HEI unit it would be a quality unit though and not some junk-*** Chinese POS from ebay that's for sure.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Thanks Allan. This thread has gotten to the point it is serving no useful point other than comical entertainment.
The only reason is some one says they switched to HEI and some one always has to say they done nothing to improve performance. Noone is going to take that when we all know no maintenance, 50000 volt coil, better wires and increased plug spark is a better setup than a factory points set up.
The only people defending points are people who refuse to change over to the better upgrade.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM

The only reason is some one says they switched to HEI and some one always has to say they done nothing to improve performance. Noone is going to take that when we all know no maintenance, 50000 volt coil, better wires and increased plug spark is a better setup than a factory points set up.
The only people defending points are people who refuse to change over to the better upgrade.

That's probably because many of the people on this site don't see zero maintenance as an improvement. Most people today do ... but you won't find those folks on this site. As I said ... when a points system fails ... the failure is immediately and visually obvious. When an HEI fails ... is it a broken magnet? a high resistance? Repair is a process of finding what didn't fail, not what did. By the same token, old style copper spark plugs need servicing much more often than 100k platinum ones do ... but copper ones don't see the stripped threads issues that platinum ones do simply because they're not going to be in there for 7 years. If you're driving a 40 year old car and regular maintenance is a bugbear for ya .... you're doing something wrong.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, the reason why we say it does nothing for performance is because the rest of us define "performance" as acceleration, braking, and cornering. If you define "performance" as "no maintenance", then I suggest you trade your Olds for a transportation appliance like a new Civic.

And yet again, the coil voltage and plug wires have NOTHING to do with converting to HEI. I have 8mm wires and a high voltage coil with the stock distributor on my 215. Once again, the plugs neither know nor care how the spark was triggered. Personally, I'll take a 50 yr old Made-in-USA Delco distributor body over a new Chinesium one any day.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

To other posters, you should go back and read some of this guys threads and you'll get a good idea of his attitude and ability.

I can say that in all honesty there's been no improvement when I switched to HEI. The one thing I didn't like about it is I had to butcher a perfectly good stock air cleaner to make it fit on the carb. I don't believe your statement about newer is better. Newer is certainly less maintenance, but not necessarily better

Your opinion is noted. Flawed, but noted. The HEI in my car is coming out in favor of points. Lucky I still kept the old parts instead of snapping them in 2 and hucking them in a bin. That's where the HEI is going BTW. I'll put your name on it and maybe the trash collector knows you and will drop it off at your door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, all this discussion from you about this, and wasn't it just awhile ago you couldn't even get an intake manifold installed properly and then you dissed others who offered help or suggestions? Said your CS wasn't worth your time anymore? Yup....speaks to your workmanship too.

Well, Finally got to start the 442 after resealing the intake with new gaskets and sealer on the ends.
And guess what? It leaks now more than it did the first time and the front leaks also!!!
It leaks so bad it puddles on the floor!
I give up, Im not taking it apart again.
It will sit until I die or somebody buys it, yes its going to be one of those stories!
The day you stop taking a loss is the day you start making money.
I couldn't care less if the car every moves again, I was just messing with it for a side project, its not worth another set of intake gaskets and all that time and work.
Now you're an 'Ace' at dispensing information? I trust and respect other folks opinions and judgement, except yours. Your thoughts appear to be random, illogical, irrational and not well thought out. No reply necessary as I'm on your ignore list, remember? That must really irritate you to not be able to respond to a post that you're supposed to be ignoring.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Beer Connoisseur

WOW.

...........and the saga continues. I find this very amusing and borderline comical.

PLEASE keep going I am bored at work.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

That's probably because many of the people on this site don't see zero maintenance as an improvement.
There again only include info that makes your point seem valid.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:43 PM

There again only include info that makes your point seem valid.

If there was info that would make my point invalid, my point wouldn't be my point, would it? I included info that is 'relevant'. Relevant. Look that word up. Every point you've made towards claiming HEI to be some magic savior for the common man has been proved irrelevant. The only advantage to switching a well tuned points ignition to one with HEI in a street car is maintenance. Fin. You have made many claims ... they've all been debunked. The reasons have been explained to you by some very patient people ... and you've chosen to ignore what they took the time to convey. They have taken the time to list your points one by one and respond to them individually ... and you've failed to change your position. There is a word in the internet lingua franca for people like that.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
morgan

Jeez enough with this god damn nonsese already
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is probably time for an admin to shut this one down. There is nothing to be gained from continuing. Eric, where are you?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Old School Olds

Sure you guys don't want to go for page 5?
I like points, I like points, I like...
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM

The factory recommends checking and setting points every 12,000 miles or one year.

YA RIGHT! Good luck with that if it's a good set of performance points.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Sure you guys don't want to go for page 5?
I like points, I like points, I like...
Page 5 is where we start talking about magnetos, remember?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

If there was info that would make my point invalid, my point wouldn't be my point, would it? I included info that is 'relevant'. Relevant. Look that word up. Every point you've made towards claiming HEI to be some magic savior for the common man has been proved irrelevant. The only advantage to switching a well tuned points ignition to one with HEI in a street car is maintenance. Fin. You have made many claims ... they've all been debunked. The reasons have been explained to you by some very patient people ... and you've chosen to ignore what they took the time to convey. They have taken the time to list your points one by one and respond to them individually ... and you've failed to change your position. There is a word in the internet lingua franca for people like that.
And right back at cha, lets review, shall we?
50000 volts, bigger wires and a bigger spark plug gap will burn fuel more effectively than 30000 volts, 7mm wires and a smaller spark plug gap.
Why is the wires such a big deal you ask?
Points can run either 7mm or 8mm, but HEI only runs 8mm or bigger so its and improvement.
So,...... lets review the review, bigger coil, bigger wires, bigger plug gap= improvment.

Now I will put this in bold so you can read it several times before you come up with DUUUHHHHH its low maintenance!!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM

I think all of you have missed the boat about the performance gains from switching to HEI. It us a known fact that a Billet MSD HEI Type distributor weighs 50 grams less than the OEM points stuff with a coil. This translates to .00001 of a second off your fastest ET at the track.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sampson
I think all of you have missed the boat about the performance gains from switching to HEI. It us a known fact that a Billet MSD HEI Type distributor weighs 50 grams less than the OEM points stuff with a coil. This translates to .00001 of a second off your fastest ET at the track.
Another over looked unappreciated performance gain, that will be twisted around to look like a disadvantage.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:49 PM

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

And right back at cha, lets review, shall we?
50000 volts, bigger wires and a bigger spark plug gap will burn fuel more effectively than 30000 volts, 7mm wires and a smaller spark plug gap

Wrong.
A spark strong enough to ignite the mixture is all that is required. 2 billion volts won't work any better than 20,000 volts for an old fashioned ohv American style engine.
You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Don't take my word for it, I'm a member of this forum and probably need 24/7 adult supervision in your eyes, check out peer reviewed tech bulletins written by accredited engineers instead.

Btw how many moons does your planet have?.

Roger.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rustyroger
A spark strong enough to ignite the mixture is all that is required. 2 billion volts won't work any better than 20,000 volts for an old fashioned ohv American style engine.
You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.
Save your breath, Roger. I went through this much earlier in the thread. It doesn't matter. This isn't about facts.
You live in the real world where he laws of Physics apply - that's not the world he's living in.

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Wrong.
A spark strong enough to ignite the mixture is all that is required. 2 billion volts won't work any better than 20,000 volts for an old fashioned ohv
Its OK now all I have to do is copy and paste the right answer for your review.

50000 volts, bigger wires and a bigger spark plug gap will burn fuel more effectively than 30000 volts, 7mm wires and a smaller spark plug gap.
Why is the wires such a big deal you ask?
Points can run either 7mm or 8mm, but HEI only runs 8mm or bigger so its and improvement.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM

See, this is the problem. He doesn't *know* anything; he just copies and pastes. Copying information is much better than bullshitting, but it's nowhere near what you need.

Example: I had a kid co-op, mech eng student, who seriously thought the second law of thermo was important on vehicle carrier bearings. He knew of the law, but didn't know that you don't care about entropy on bearings. You care about the first law in terms of heat dissipation via friction from the loads, obviously. This kid knew OF engineering, but he didn't KNOW it. Our friend here is the same way, knows just enough to be dangerous.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
See, this is the problem. He doesn't *know* anything; he just copies and pastes. Copying information is much better than bullshitting, but it's nowhere near what you need.
No, the problem is that we are all wasting time posting in this thread.

"Stupid is as stupid does"
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, the problem is that we are all wasting time posting in this thread.

"Stupid is as stupid does"
Yep, I tried to tell ya.
I can't wait until the quarterly " Flowmaster verses Magnablows" starts!!!
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:17 PM

"I can't wait until the quarterly " Flowmaster verses Magnablows" starts!!!"

Let me guess which side you're on?

Quick Reply: Electronic ignition vs points