General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electric-powered, hybrid and performance sleeper assist

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2020, 12:38 AM

Electric-powered, hybrid and performance sleeper assist

I'm filing this under the "Other" sub-forum, since I don't know where else it belongs to.
Rule-conforming discussion is appreciated.
Electric-powered drivetrain conversions, electric-powered vehicles, hybrid and electric add-on performance tweeks (electric-assisted flywheels, for example) or whatever relates welcome.
This thread can spin off from this one: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...c-cars-150503/
Hybrids, as well as, some sportscars now use electrically-assisted flywheels, in order to either increase performance or to reduce peak internal combustion engine demands, the latter of which saves fuel. These flywheels also double as starter motors, alternators and regenerative brakes, especially on vehicles equipped with start/stop automatic starting intended to shut down the engine automatically at stop lights and railroad crossings.
Nothing rules out a theoretic performance tweak for vintage automobiles, through adding on these type of flywheels. An adapter plate, as well as some possible tunnel modifications would make it possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Motor_Assist

Getting back to Earth for a second , I've got a gasoline-powered version of a made in China under Daihatsu license "Miles" car. There were a handfull of these sold in North America:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=miles+electric+car+daihatsu&t=h_&iax=images&ia= images

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Electric_Vehicles
...These were available in the United States and were used by organizations such as NASA, the U.S. Navy, Yale University, Rice University, Stanford University, UCLA, California Polytechnic State University, the San Francisco Airport Authority, Bennington College and Provo, Utah.[3]

All Miles Electric Vehicles were DOT/NHTSA Federal Standard 500 compliant...
There is no legislation here, regulating top speeds this slow. Modern lighter-weigh compact accumulators could replace the old-fashioned original-type batteries. Of course, the vehicle's top speed would have to be limited to that of the gasoline-powered models:

...NHTSA/FMVSS Standard 500 law requires all low-speed vehicles (LSV) be electronically limited to 25 mph (40 km/h), and are street legal for use on roads with posted speed limits up to 35 mph (56 km/h).

Miles electric vehicles use wet cell lead acid deep cycle batteries weighing 100.5 pounds each...

If possible, I'd like to find one in North America and have it shipped here. Rust buckets are okay, because, all that would be necessary are anything to do with converting it over, as well as the paper work required for licensing.
Here's what I've gotten a hold of. The oil rings are stuck, through oil change interval neglect causing varnish. The person who used to own it is a notorious car-killer. She drove it in winter. So, it's got just one visible rust spot of which doesen't look like terminal cancer of which this brand is known for:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; December 15th, 2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old December 15th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Administrator

I moved your thread to the General Discussion forum as the Other Forum is for Oldsmobile cars not listed above it. I'm not ready to convert any of my cars to electric or hybrids power as of yet. 10 years from now if I'm still capable physically and I'm forced to do it for reasons beyond my control, maybe.
Old December 15th, 2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Hybrids, as well as, some sportscars now use electrically-assisted flywheels, in order to either increase performance or to reduce peak internal combustion engine demands, the latter of which saves fuel.
The loaner 2021 Kia Soul I have from the dealership has a start/stop function. Interestingly, it won't turn off the engine at a stop light if the fan is on setting 3 or 4. I guess the blower motor pulls too much current.
Old December 15th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
...I'm not ready to convert any of my cars to electric or hybrids power as of yet. 10 years from now if I'm still capable physically and I'm forced to do it for reasons beyond my control, maybe.
I wasn't about to bother, either. I'm presently driving the previous series to the one pictured which is even more difficult to get parts for than the one pictured. So, if my back is put to the wall someday, I might have to see if I can avoid keeping it as a monument.
The blue and silver one pictured is an easy conversion, since all I'd have to do is to swap the drivetrain cradle and wiring. Depending on how much less space modern accumulators would take, if there would no longer be a need to store batteries where the spare tire belongs, I wouldn't even need to swap trunk floor pans.
f the opportunity didn't present itself, I wouldn't even bother. But since, the electric version was already put into production, I'll do all I can in getting a donor car and maybe even be the first to swap drivetrains on one of these
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:40 AM

Old December 16th, 2020, 08:51 AM

I wonder as to why that truck rolled back. Either the driver forgot to set the hand brake or he was catching z's and got baked well-done crispy while doing so.
If they have full coverage in that country where it happened, the owner would have gotten away without having a totally ruined day.
Perhaps, someone should invent ejector battery packs for those things