General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

EFI Question

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 05:56 PM

EFI Question

Anyone have any experience with the EFI units that bolt to the intake in place of the carb? Looking at one for my truck rebuild and thought someone on here may have done one.

One of the companies is FAST.
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM

I have FAST EZ-EFI (version 1) on my Olds.

What can I help you with?
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:05 PM

Just looking to see if the claims about ease of installation and great tech support are true. The auto tune on the 2.0 sounds great and the ability to tune the car with the handheld sounds like a major advance. I'm looking to use the 2.0 with the distributor and electronic ignition with an in tank fuel pump.
The reviews sound great, your experience?
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:46 PM

I did not need to use their tech line for anything, which I guess is a compliment to them.

I also used an in-tank system, I would suggest either of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18689/overview/
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat153.htm

The "in tank" kit that comes with the FAST kit just clamps a pump the the sending unit, with no baffles in the tank. Which means at lower fuel levels and accelerating or cornering, the pump can suck air. Both the above kits have smaller fuel buckets, which the return line feeds into, thus keeping the pump covered at all times.

Definitely get a good ignition system with it, and wire it all properly. Just about every trouble shooting issue I've read about online was caused by the installer not wiring everything right. If they say wire it straight to the battery, do it! The version 2.0 can control timing, with the distributor you mentioned. That's a big plus over the version 1.0 I have.

Overall my install went smooth, most of my time was spent mounting the ECU where I wanted it, neatly routing wires, and running my fuel lines. After I let it self learn for a few weeks, I then played with the AFR's a little. After a couple more weeks I then played with the acceleration enrichment. I knocked down about 16-17 MPG on the Power Tour with overdrive, but did NOT have a vac advance hooked up on the distributor yet. I may damn well see 20 MPG on the highway once I add in vac advance and learn to stay out of the left lane... yeah right!

My only two complaints (which may not be as issue on 2.0) is the warm up AFR is not adjustable, and mine runs too lean till it hits 140* and goes into closed loop. It's still drivable and has never died on me, but it's just too lean during warm up.
Second, the IAC intake hole makes a noticeable sucking sound when it opens. I'm running an open element air filter, changing to a dual snorkel cold air intake this winter. Hoping a closed filter housing will quiet it down.

For a long time I left the hand held screen hooked up and sitting on the passenger seat. I kept glancing at it while driving and at every light. I finally unplugged it and put it in the glove box, never even think about the EFI anymore. I just enjoy the excellent drive-ability from my hot little small block.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Here is my install post and some pictures.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...st-ez-efi.html
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:08 PM

This was a big help, may go ahead and do my Olds also. I would like a more reliable, fast start. I appreciate your post and story of your change.
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Great loking car by the way. Love the paint.
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Moment Member

Nick, I'm doing one of these on my Vette. I'll call you to come check it out when it's done. I'm renting half a warehouse in NL. I had no idea you were running EFI or I would have asked to see it, etc.