General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Easiest blower motor repair ever

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2017, 08:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Easiest blower motor repair ever

It's no secret that my 72 hasn't scorched any asphalt for a few years now. Since I uncovered it this year I've been slowly getting my ducks in a row to turn the key and hit the road.

One of the things that I needed to fix was the no fan condition except on high position. Typically this is 99.9% the resistor for the blower motor (non AC car) which is located on the top of the air plenum.

I ordered a new one from ILT and yesterday went to install it. I reached up behind the lower dash to see if I could get to the wiring and screws without removing the glove box. That's when I had a WTH moment. The pigtail was hanging down and wasn't connected to the resistor. Took all of 30 seconds to feel the connector position and lock it back on. Test the fan and BAM! It works on all speeds again. So now I have a spare resistor in case it fails. I'm impressed that the 45 year old part is still working as when new.

If I had tried to remove the resistor to test the various poles, I guess I could have solved the problem earlier and avoided the cost of a new one.

Truth is I hardly ever use the fan in the car. Usually when I take it for a cruise I have all the windows down, and I don't drive it in cold weather. If I did, the heater would be on high, which is a direct 12 v feed to the fan switch.
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congrats Allan. Once in a while you win one. I would have done the exact same thing you did. I wonder how many years it had been like that.
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:50 PM

You have to wonder why it was unplugged from the resistor sometime in its past life?
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Congrats Allan. Once in a while you win one. I would have done the exact same thing you did. I wonder how many years it had been like that.
Thanks Glenn
I suspect it was like that since 2008. That's the last time I ever let a shop work on it.
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Junkman
You have to wonder why it was unplugged from the resistor sometime in its past life?
That exact thought crossed my mind. I suspect it was done when the aftermarket stereo was installed. POS Pioneer junk. It didn't work properly from day one. I suspect that was a result of a quick in/out service tech schedule?
I'll never know for sure. I'll be pulling the aftermarket one and installing OEM AM/FM with front and rear speakers, along with the 8track. Just need to recone the 10 ohm speakers.

Last edited by Allan R; August 1st, 2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Word change amp/ohm
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:26 PM

I believe that you mean 10 ohm speakers?
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:30 AM

Thumbs up

I have your repair beat.

When the blower motor in my 84 Delta 88 stopped working on every speed, I bought a new one.

Before I installed it, I was telling my Dad about it. He walked over to the car lifted the hood and gave the blower plenum a good blow with his right fist.

Problem solved. The fan continued to work from that day and every other day until I junked the car after it rotted out all around me.

Fast forward 13 years and I found myself working on my 83 Wagon project. The blower motor was rusted solid and wouldn't even turn by hand. But the Olds replacement I've had on the shelf all these years matched up and got bolted in.
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:42 AM
delete

Sometimes things go your way
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Junkman
I believe that you mean 10 ohm speakers?
Yup, stupid auto correct on the eye pad... Good catch.
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:35 AM

I recently had trouble with my blower not blowing, after assembly, getting my build together. I was stumped, everything had power except the blower motor, which is new. Two harnesses, one to the resistor and the other to the high speed relay. Each has a 3 prong plug and a single prong, now its been 4 years since I took it apart. Each 3 prong plug will fit only the part intended, resistor 3 prong will not fit the relay and visa versa. So I assumed the single prong plugs also went on the same part as the 3 prong, but I was wrong. The single resistor plug goes to the single relay, and the single relay plug goes to the single resistor, and then, the blower blows! Something so simple but at least for me was difficult to see.