'64 D88 - Easiest way to R&R fuel pump?

Old April 20th, 2013, 06:18 PM

'64 D88 - Easiest way to R&R fuel pump?

So in addition to the rubber fuel lines, my car needs a fuel pump. Fortunately for me my uncle had a couple of NOS pumps stashed away that I found.

So what's the easiest way to R&R one of these? Normally I would go from underneath but the pump sits right on top of the front crossmember. So it actually looks like removing the alternator is the way to go. The A/C compressor is still in the way, but with the hole opened up with the alternator gone I think it will make enough room.

Any other opinions or something I am missing? Or am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Michael
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:21 PM

Not sure what a 64 looks like exactly....but i just changed the one on my 72 350....i removed the alternator and lower bracket to make it easier to get to. Had about 30 minutes in entire job.
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big red72
Not sure what a 64 looks like exactly....but i just changed the one on my 72 350....i removed the alternator and lower bracket to make it easier to get to. Had about 30 minutes in entire job.
Yeah, I suspect this is the way I will go. The front crossmember is directly below the fuel pump, so it will be almost impossible to get to it underneath like on later cars and chevy's.

Thanks for your post,
Michael
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Oldsdruid

If you put those NOS pumps on, you're gonna be doing the job again soon. The last NOS one I used lasted all of 100 miles before modern gasoline got to it and it started pouring gas. Do yourself a favor and either get a rebuild that has upgraded ethanol-resistant materials, or get a kit and rebuild it yourself before installing it.

Removing the alternator on a factory air car will make the job simpler, but a timesaver is to go to Sears, Harbor Freight or somewhere and get yourself a set of wobble extensions. A 3" straight extension is too short and a 6" is too long, but a 6" wobble will work great to get to that back nut. It's gonna be a PITA to access whatever you do, but the wobble makes it much easier and is not as clumsy to use as a universal joint.
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If you put those NOS pumps on, you're gonna be doing the job again soon. The last NOS one I used lasted all of 100 miles before modern gasoline got to it and it started pouring gas. Do yourself a favor and either get a rebuild that has upgraded ethanol-resistant materials, or get a kit and rebuild it yourself before installing it.

Removing the alternator on a factory air car will make the job simpler, but a timesaver is to go to Sears, Harbor Freight or somewhere and get yourself a set of wobble extensions. A 3" straight extension is too short and a 6" is too long, but a 6" wobble will work great to get to that back nut. It's gonna be a PITA to access whatever you do, but the wobble makes it much easier and is not as clumsy to use as a universal joint.
Thanks for the info..

Is 10% ethanol fuel you get now a days really that bad? If so then I am in trouble as I also have a 68 International 1200C that has LOTS of fuel system components. It came with factory dual tank option. Or does this issue only affect GM components?

I was really hoping to get this car running this weekend but if things are as you say, then it certainly sounds like I would be better off to rebuild one of the NOS pumps I have first.

I've done more difficult things but that pump really does look like a PITA.

So where is the best place to get a ethanol fuel friendly fuel pump rebuild kit and what should I expect to pay for it?

Thanks,
Michael
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Radius
So where is the best place to get a ethanol fuel friendly fuel pump rebuild kit and what should I expect to pay for it?
Looks like I answered my own question. Then and Now seems to have what I need for a reasonable price. I will call them on Monday to see what I need.

Michael