General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Don't try to talk me out of it!!! Exhaust woes...

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by texxas
I've got the Thornton 350JR manifolds on my 67 Cutlass ragtop, running a SBO 350. I wouldn't paint the manifolds. I used an exhaust manifold dressing sold by Eastwood, Calyx. Works great.
http://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating.html
I know you already bought the manifolds but just an FYI. Sanderson also makes a SBO header that would fit your car.
I attached a couple of pictures of my engine with the manifolds freshly installed and coated with Calyx. I used an old toothbrush and applied it before I installed the manifolds. They still look good and in two days, it will be a year since I installed them and close to 3500 miles so far.
Those look great!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM

Why, thank you very much.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM

well i've turned a big job into an even bigger job!!! when i pulled the old exhaust off, i was under the car conteplating what to do. so i decided to POR15 the rest of the frame, so now the whole thing is done. and i decided to undercoat the entire bottom of the boddy so under the car look alot cleaner now. then i painted the maniflds a flat black with the rustoleum high temp paint which looks great. i loosely hung the mufflers, then the tail pipes, then the H-pipe. i got everything basically where i want it. all the pipes and mufflers are straight and even, all the joints are band clamped and looking good!! i also installed the new copper manifold gaskets along with the manifolds themselves and stainless manifold bolts. now all there is to do is bolt up the down pipes and the connector pipes that join them to the H-pipe, then tighten everything up!! can't wait to hear this beast rumble and take it for a ride!! it's been out of commision for 3 weeks due to my limited time to do work on it, but soon enought my friends:-)

i tried to get it all done yesterday, but after 3 hours of sweating my ***** off, rolling around under the car, and making 2 trips to the hardware store only to end up with the wrong flange bolts TWICE...i decided to call it a day.

this weekend though, it will be done!!! i'll post some pics and hopefully a video when complete.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Good tread , I'v bin thinking about those manifolds also. Cant wait to hear your reaction.
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM

thanks bud!!! the manifolds are really nice, you can tell they are quality. the mounting surface is nice and flat with no imperfections, the shipping time was only 3 days and they were wrapped in tons of bubble wrap for shipping. all the mounting holes lined up correctly with the heads as well, it's like they are a factory part. not like most aftermarket headaches. i'll say this, they went on easier than the old ones came off!!! i can't wait to hear the car without that annoying leak at the flange, that's what i'm most excited about.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM

I was at the Springfield, Ohio Swap meet a couple of weeks ago.
The Pypes people were there. I asked about a 2.5" X-pipe stainless exhaust system for my '67.
For stock exhaust manifolds from the manifolds back-$500.00.
With headers from the headers back (not including headers)-$400.00.
This included some really nice S.S. clamps. $60.00 shipping.
I thought that was a really good deal for a stainless 2.5" X-pipe system.
He had a complete system on display so I saw it first hand.
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM

They have those stainless pypes systems on eBay for $377 w/ mufflers and X-pipe, free shipping. The stainless band clamps cost me $10 each. But I was advised by an olds guru (friend of a friend who has 2 olds drag cars) that the H-pipe is the better option for small block olds. They boost the low end power range and are louder:-). That's why I went with the flowmaster system.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM

When you get this all together you will be very happy with the sound. I used this same set-up on my 84 H/O. It was the best sounding Olds I have owned.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbrianman
When you get this all together you will be very happy with the sound. I used this same set-up on my 84 H/O. It was the best sounding Olds I have owned.
THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!

thanks man, now i HAVE to finish this weekend!!
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Well, she's all bolted up and sounding pretty damn good!!! Definitely louder than before, it's got that nice deep hollow tone, and no leaks that have emerged yet. I have to get under it one more time to try to level out the left side if the H-pipe and muffler. In the pic u can see that the muffler is tilted slightly and consequently the H-pipe leans to that side a bit and hangs a little low. It's not even really that much lower and could stay the way it is, but I'm just wanting it to be even and level. From behind the car, everything looks even & straight, u can't even really see the mufflers or h-pipe from behind, only the rear end and tail pipes. It rumbles & resonates nicely when cruising at about 2500-2800, and has a good sound at idle too. Overall, I'm very happy with it, here's a few pics.

70e177ae.jpg

8c6a5d40.jpg

990030b5.jpg

The manifolds bolted up perfectly, no issues, gaskets were great as well - copper with raised seal rings around the ports. I will tighten everything down after a few rides to ensure all the hardware is tight and no leaks. And I snapped a quick pic of the old girl for good measure:-)

1c60ac23.jpg
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Good job, looks really good!
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Very nice , what fasteners did you use for the manifold to head?
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DENT
Very nice , what fasteners did you use for the manifold to head?
thanks guys....i used ARP stainless header bolts.