General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Don’t Drive on Old Tires

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2023, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
George, good to hear that the OE spare stayed together for you! BTW, what tires do you have on your 75 98? They're white walls aren't they?
I was glad it did too!

Yes, they're SureTrac 235 75 15s.

Old July 19th, 2023, 12:13 AM

Lug nuts...

They could be brand new yet worthless if they're not torqued...sorry, I just had to throw that out there.
Old July 19th, 2023, 03:30 AM

^^^THIS^^^

Good advice RollinOlds. If you have to change to a spare make sure you retorque the lug nuts the first chance you get.
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:20 AM

Where we live, some unknown person(s) were getting their kicks by loosening lug nuts on random cars, and it happened to my '73 Cutlass. I was going down the road and thought I had a flat, but I had braked and decelerated smooth enough to not lose the tire (rear, thankfully) it stayed on the hub even though all my lugnuts were gone; I couldn't believe it was just sitting on the lugs. I had extra nuts in the trunk, put em on and began checking them every time I drove anywhere until I moved from the area (nice neighborhood, too).
Old July 21st, 2023, 01:08 PM

A lot depends on the type of tires. Radial tires are designed to self destruct in around six years where bias tires you can usually drive on them until the tread is gone. I had tires on a jeep which lasted 22 years before I replaced them. That was three years ago and I still have them. In a pinch I wouldn't be afraid to put them back on. They have some small cracks but are fully aired up.
Old July 21st, 2023, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RollinOlds
Where we live, some unknown person(s) were getting their kicks by loosening lug nuts on random cars, and it happened to my '73 Cutlass. I was going down the road and thought I had a flat, but I had braked and decelerated smooth enough to not lose the tire (rear, thankfully) it stayed on the hub even though all my lugnuts were gone; I couldn't believe it was just sitting on the lugs. I had extra nuts in the trunk, put em on and began checking them every time I drove anywhere until I moved from the area (nice neighborhood, too).
The unknown person(s) should get a kick, alright. A few of them. From Herman Munster.
Old July 21st, 2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by blakes7
The unknown person(s) should get a kick, alright. A few of them. From Herman Munster.
I was thinking the lug nuts were actually STOLEN.
Old July 21st, 2023, 02:41 PM

My wheel would've come off after making the few turns I made before going straight, I think. No, they were setting people up to lose wheels at speed...it's a small town, and it had happened to 4 other people that I knew; luckily nobody was hurt. They were nice lug nuts, though, and I did have to go buy new chrome ones. I normally don't carry extras around, but I had em then, so I was lucky all things considered.