General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do You Miss Your Car?

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM

Ok so after a few weeks of not seeing or running my burgundy 98, I made some time to head over to my storage unit and let her run for a bit. I should have figured something would get in the way. I unlock the door and realize that the door is FROZEN SOLID to the ground! There was absolutely no way I was going to be able to open it. Now I have to wait for it to warm up a little bit or go back with a little force!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM

I hate when that happens, if not the lock itself freezing than the overhead door to the ground does.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Moses
I hate when that happens, if not the lock itself freezing than the overhead door to the ground does.
Tell me about it. Last year I had another unit at the same facility and the roof dripped right onto my lock and it froze solid. I ended up breaking the key off trying to open it and had to cut the lock off and start over again. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of this weather by the day. Can't wait til the day I can build my dream garage and can get in there anytime I want.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:42 AM

A former client had a real nice garage with a heated brick driveway leading to it. He'd pull into his 3 car garage and drive on 1 car platform, push a button, floor would descend into lower level and there you find 1,000 sq ft heated room full of American and imported classics. When I first saw that I knew I was in the wrong business!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM

DAMN. OK as incredible as that is, that's a bit beyond my dream garage lol. I just want a 3 car garage with a separate workshop, 2 lifts (one for storage and one for service) and plenty of storage. It will also have a floor drain so I can wash the cars indoors all year round. The obvious plumbing, heat/air as well. At this time, I have a 2 car garage that's just big enough for my 2 Ninety Eight's and as much as I love that I CAN keep them both at home finally, it's WAY too small. Someday, I'll build my dream, in the meantime I have made the most of my space.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM

John,
I would MUCH rather have your idea of a 3 car garage along with maybe electrical outlets every other stud board. And yes, I do agree with having the necessary heat/air combo. Maybe make garage space deeper than your typical 2 car garage. Picture the depth and width of containing 6 '76 Regency 98's with walking room between each one.

Good to know we are on same track of thinking!
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I dont really miss it that much, its just a few steps from my kitchen to my attached heated 2 car garage. I have a couch out there with carpeting,cable tv, stereo and cold Yuengling Lager on tap! I can pull the cover off and see it as I watch TV and have a cold one. Plus my winter hobby is snowmobiling so Im having a blast with that right now! If you're gonna live where there is snow might as well have fun with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
014.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM

im starting to. It's stored over at a friends house on the other side of town. Im hoping to be able to bring it home around April 1st.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Frozen locks and weatherstripping

My car will lock it's self up if I leave it outside over night.I now treat my locks and weatherstripping with pure antifreeze. Wipe a little on with a rag around the weatherstrip and poke the soaked key in a couple times and your good to go for a month or so. Just a tip I learned living in the mountains...Tedd