General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do You Miss Your Car?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Do You Miss Your Car?

I miss my car. I haven't seen it for two months now. It's in storage 5 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Homecoming_2010_030.jpg (129.7 KB, 44 views)
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM

On the contrary! I had both of mine on the road today. We had what might pass for a January thaw this weekend with temps in the mid-40s and sunny yesterday and a bit cooler and partly sunny today. A lot of snow melted yesterday, and roads were dry and clear today, so both cars got started and taken on a nice run around town. It might be another month before I can do that again with the winter storm they're predicting for the middle of this week.
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM

If that close you should visit it now and then! Check the tires, start it up, or just clean it up a little. Of course that's if you have the time.
I miss driving my 2 Olds' and the bike, too. Not enough time and nice weather here is scarce right now.

We DID get to sneak in a 50 mile drive to the lake and to dinner yesterday, half with the top down. It was 75* out.
Supposed to be 15* in a couple days, so no more outdoor fun for a while.
Attached Images
IMG_0048.jpg (62.4 KB, 17 views)
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I miss being able to drive my car.The only thing stopping me is the salt on the roads.
I do have an attached garage so I see my car everyday,just can't drive it.
ole man winter blows

Heres a pic from late fall just before it was put up

DSC03292.jpg
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Whenever I start to miss mine, I go out to the garage and pull back the car cover for a few minutes. I think she's as glad to see me as I am to see her. She's definitely not missing being out in the cold and snow!!!!

I don't start it in the winter anymore. It started rotting out the tail pipe after the muffler. Now I need to take it to the muffler shop in the spring. That will also be a good time to hang in the new dual trumpet exhausts.
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM

I miss my car, it's sitting in my garage but it still looks like this.
DSCF6922.jpg
Waiting for my enigine to come back from the machine shop. I will feel much better once it's complete again.
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Got to drive mine a little last weekend.....Even the Chevy car show guys said my pipes sounded wicked....

046.jpg

CarShow025.jpg

080.jpg
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Snow, salt. What is that??
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM

I do miss my car..................storage 20 miles away.........that is why I spend so much time here........vicarious pleasure.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Mine is in my attached garage so i see it everyday. Unfortunately, since 12/26, the weather here has been horrible and it has not been outside. More bad weather coming this week so I am not sure when I will drive her again.
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:04 PM

Yes.....I want to work on it.
Tearing my engine out and cleaning up my engine bay and powdercoating everything.

2 more months to Spring!!!
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:46 AM

This past Saturday was the first time I've seen mine in over a month, as it is stored 2 hours away from me at my cottage. I went to the garage, pulled the cover off, looked at her, then covered her backup. Did the same thing about an hour later. I also don't start mine in the winter because of moisture buildup in the exhaust.
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:35 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I haven't seen my car in a year! It's over 2,000 miles away in San Diego and I am in Japan.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog
I also don't start mine in the winter because of moisture buildup in the exhaust.
This is the second time this concern has been mentioned. But this is not an issue if you let the engine fully warm up, which you should do, anyway, if you're going to bother to start the car at all. I would run the engine for a good 20 minutes at least.

By letting the exhaust system reach operating temperature, any vapor condensed in the system while it was still warming up is evaporated, and later moisture stays as a vapor as it passes through the system, just as it would if you were actually out driving the car. So no more exhaust system corrosion should occur than would occur if you were just driving the car normally.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
I haven't seen my car in a year! It's over 2,000 miles away in San Diego and I am in Japan.
Set up a webcam, and point it at your car. Then you could look at your car any time you want from any internet-connected computer in the world!

By the way, the crow's-flight distance from Japan to San Diego is about 6,000 miles.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:26 AM

Miss it!? And how. It's been in storage for 2-1/2 months now. And we're going to get up to two more feet of snow this week. It's tough to keep up with a passion that gets interrupted for 5 months out of the year. I find myself buying cr@p i dont need just to get my hands on something related to my Cutlass.

Here's a question. I asked a local vintage restoration shop (who also has a slow down of business in winter) whether they would be interested in putting together a class/club that meets once a week to discuss topics in a hands-on way. I was wondering what topics you would like to see covered in an hour or two hour weekly presentation that would bring you out of hibernation in the evening. Topics could cover anything from basic (what to look for when buying your first classic) to the most technical/mechanical aspects. Also, what would you suggest as a cost for the class? Me? I just want to know if they're serving pizza.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:08 AM
Cutlass Lover

I've been in Cutlass withdrawl since November. I went out and started Teepo yesterday and let her run about 25 minutes, moved her back and forth some, ran the heat and defrost some. She wanted to come out of there, lol! I told her she has to wait another few months - we have that storm coming tomorrow evening. Wish I had a driveway to that garage and I could get her out through the winter when the roads are clear and drive her some. Cutlass withdrawl ain't pleasant, lol!!
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:50 AM
Registered Abuser

Mine is in an unattached, unheated garage. There is a giant snow bank at the door of the garage, so I haven't been out there to pet it since new year. Sigh.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM

We might get our first rain of the year. Won't be able to take the car out today!
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM
"me somebody" site member

I miss my boat more.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:32 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Mine is in a unheated garage attached to the house. I wish it would heat up enough to go out and work on it. Otherwise I won't be able to drive it when the weather does get nice.
Larry
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:14 AM
Past Administrator

My wife found me out in the garage, in the Cutlass whimpering, frozen tears stuck to my cheek, mumbling something about 'when is spring coming?'.
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:18 AM

Definitely miss the warm weather. My burgundy 98 is in storage only a few miles from my house. I actually drive right past the place on my way to the train station everyday and try to pop in once every week or two to check on it and run it for a bit but it's been a little longer than that now. My black 98 is in the garage at home and I've actually been making major progress on it since putting the other into storage so I guess I'm making the most of the cold weather. This spring and summer will be filled with lots of Oldsmobiling for us!!!
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Mine is in a unheated garage attached to the house. I wish it would heat up enough to go out and work on it. Otherwise I won't be able to drive it when the weather does get nice.
Larry
Start it and let it run, then close the door. The heat from the engine seems to warm my garage up to a bearable temperature.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:42 PM

Why would I miss her. Temps in south Florida were high 60's low 70's over the weekend. Perfect top down weather!
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Crazy Canuck

I am some jealous of you guys down south. This is the first time in a couple of years that I have stored mine at home in the garage. I try to have my alone time with her as much as possible.

Tuesday we are supposed to get another 2-1/2 feet. I think Mr. Groundhog is going to predict a lot more winter!!

Wayne
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldsca
Tuesday we are supposed to get another 2-1/2 feet. I think Mr. Groundhog is going to predict a lot more winter!!
Don't forget how it works. If the groundhog comes out of his hole and doesn't see his shadow, then that predicts an early spring. If he does see his shadow (because it's a sunny day), then he gets scared and goes back into his hole, and that predicts another six weeks of winter.

So if it's a cold, snowy day on February 2, which it is apparently expected to be across most of North America, then the groundhog won't see his shadow, and we should have spring by the end of February.

Remember, too, that it's only the official groundhog in Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania, which is about 80 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, where it really should be cold and snowy on the 2nd, that counts. All those other groundhog wannabes, such as Ohio's "Buckeye Chuck" (give me a break), don't count.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM

I spoke to soon. We had a little rain today and our temps are going to be in the low 20's for a few nights. thank god, it only lasts a few days. I am transplanted from Portland Oregon so I know rain and clouds. Should be driving weather this weekend. Snowbirds have flown down and we are crowded.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Crazy Canuck

You just hurt Wiarton Willie's feelings and he is not happy...
Attached Images
willie.jpg (8.6 KB, 7 views)
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM

I got so desperate I sat in the parts car for a good 10 minutes the other day. It was telling me stories of the good old days and I sat back and listened. They love to talk if you just listen to them!
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:24 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Set up a webcam, and point it at your car. Then you could look at your car any time you want from any internet-connected computer in the world!

By the way, the crow's-flight distance from Japan to San Diego is about 6,000 miles.
Sorry, I was thinking Ohio! haha I was technically correct though cause I said "over 2000."
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
I was technically correct though cause I said "over 2000."
Yes, you were. The Japan-Ohio crow's-flight distance is about 8500 miles.
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Yes, you were. The Japan-Ohio crow's-flight distance is about 8500 miles.
Can a crow fly that far?
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:00 AM

Well, since my birthday is February 2nd, Groundhog Day, I have a personal relationship with the old groundhog. I'll put in a good word for you guys and maybe we can get you some better weather soon. You guys have had a lot of rough weather to deal with this season, so maybe it's time to ease off!
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wish Teepo and I were in Tucson......
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM

You can get an "App" for your smartphone to stay in touch with Phil.

http://www.chipchick.com/2011/02/pun...groundhog.html
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

I don't at the moment but will if the weather that's coming is anywhere near as bad as they say it will be (run "48111" at weather.com). With 10 to 15 inches of snow predicted on a car with more horizontal sheet metal than an aircraft carrier (and snow-catching horizontal trim around every opening), she's sure to get as "buried" as possible.

[This will be the first time I had to dig her OUT v. dig AROUND her....]
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM

class/club

Originally Posted by dingusboy
Miss it!? And how. It's been in storage for 2-1/2 months now. And we're going to get up to two more feet of snow this week. It's tough to keep up with a passion that gets interrupted for 5 months out of the year. I find myself buying cr@p i dont need just to get my hands on something related to my Cutlass.

Here's a question. I asked a local vintage restoration shop (who also has a slow down of business in winter) whether they would be interested in putting together a class/club that meets once a week to discuss topics in a hands-on way. I was wondering what topics you would like to see covered in an hour or two hour weekly presentation that would bring you out of hibernation in the evening. Topics could cover anything from basic (what to look for when buying your first classic) to the most technical/mechanical aspects. Also, what would you suggest as a cost for the class? Me? I just want to know if they're serving pizza.
I'd be interested in this club too, pending on location. I just bought mine in July, been in and out of shop since then till it went into storage this mid November. We are currently experiencing a blizzard with talk of 12-22 inches of snow! Last time i had a car of this era was in '95 so I am looking forward to an early thaw. Any car clubs in Will County?

Stay warm & safe!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
...should get a life....

I miss mine. Been a week today since I've been able to take it out cruisin'....TOO BLOODY HOT !!!!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM

Nope I'm in the Car everyday for quick start up or a trip around the Block. Usually to the gas station!!

Quick Reply: Do You Miss Your Car?