General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dissecting an Accumulator/ Receiver Drier for G body

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2023, 12:41 PM

Dissecting an Accumulator/ Receiver Drier for G body

So had a curiosity of what is actually inside a Accumulator/ Receiver Drier for G body(1978-88) Cutlass.

I am putting the photos in order of the Low Pressure Vapor flow as it comes from the Evaporator 3/4in fitting.

The vapor comes in at the top of the accumulator(3/4in fitting. I hacksawed off the top just below this fitting

Next the vapor goes down towards the bottom past a cone-like thing at the top of the outlet tube(which is inside the accumulator which comes from the bottom about 8 inches high)). The vapor then goes through a screen at the bottom of the outlet tube on the outside of the tube) ,

then goes to a desiccant filter bag (green felt like material) inside a plastic holder sitll using the outside of the outlet tube. After the vapor goes through all this, it then goes from the outside of the outlet tube to the inside of the outlet tube via the cone-like plastic thing, and the out to the 3/4in outlet at the bottom. They designed it this way so the oil stays at the bottom of the accumulator, and doesn't get sucked into the suction side of the compressor which could cause serious damage to the pump. Liquides don't compress..

Cone-like thing at the top of the Outlet tube inside the accumulator, Vapor goes past this from the outside, and then goes inside to the 3/4in outlet with filtered and dry low pressure freon vapor to be compressed by the compressor into High Pressure vapor..

note dirty oil laden filter bag, has desiccant beads inside

Desiccant beads in filter bag.

Outlet at bottom, providing filtered and moisture-free low pressure vapor to the compressor inlet hose.

Last edited by FStanley; September 11th, 2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old September 11th, 2023, 01:58 PM

Cool, thanks for sharing. I guess you got a new accumulator? Or did you swap to aftermarket AC?
Old September 11th, 2023, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Cool, thanks for sharing. I guess you got a new accumulator? Or did you swap to aftermarket AC?

it is recomended one replaces the accumulator with a new one, after throughouly flushing the system and puts in a new compressor. (mine siezed)

the items inside of the accumulator will give you and idea why this is necessary to trap all the crap, and unfortunaley these are not rebuldable.. meh $30 or so..