General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Disc Brake Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2017, 04:55 AM

Disc Brake Dilemma

My 70 CS Convertible will soon need a front brake job, as one of the pistons has a slow leak and the shoes and drums are getting thin. So I'm considering upgrading to discs; here's my dilemma:

I'm currently running 15's which I like a lot, plus I have the original 14" SSl wheels in storage as it's a matching numbers car and want to keep the original parts together, either for me someday or for when I sell the car. That said, I've already changed the top to a different color plus changed the seats to cloth, so is it really a numbers matching car anymore?

1) Do I upgrade to discs for 15s, keep the 14s and let the next owner deal with it?
2) Do I upgrade to discs for 15's and sell the SSl wheels?
3) Do I just keep the drums?
4) Going back to 14s is not a consideration right now.
​​
Help!
And thanks -
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

These cars came from the factory with SSI wheels and disk brakes. Assuming these are original 1970 SSi wheels, they clear FACTORY disk brakes (and exact reproductions of factory disk brakes) just fine. Early (mid-60s) SSI wheels will not clear. Ignore the disk brake vendors who claim you need 15" wheels. This is like "headers don't fit Supremes".

Here is how to tell the difference between disk brake wheels and drum only wheels. Disk brake wheel on the left. Outboard side of both wheels towards the left also. Note the shape of the dropped center (yellow and green arrows) and the presence of the bead on the disk wheel (blue arrows).

Old October 27th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Matching numbers on a Cutlass is really not a consideration only personal preference. The least expensive solution would be to replace the wheel cylinders and shoes. Drum brakes are very efficient and inexpensive.
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info guys
Old July 21st, 2022, 08:56 AM

I am a newbie to the classic car world with the purchase of a 1967 olds mobile 442. It has front disc brakes and came to me with wheels that are spaced to clear the calipers. Is this a common practice? Is this a safe alternative? I would like to have an alignment done but my garage wants me to get the proper wheels first.
Old July 21st, 2022, 08:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ALS442
I am a newbie to the classic car world with the purchase of a 1967 olds mobile 442. It has front disc brakes and came to me with wheels that are spaced to clear the calipers. Is this a common practice? Is this a safe alternative? I would like to have an alignment done but my garage wants me to get the proper wheels first.
I'm guessing this is a conversion and not a factory disc brake car. Spacers may be common, but I wouldn't recommend it. Since you've resurrected this old thread, you've probably already seen the photo of the correct wheels above.
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:12 PM

Joe
Thank you for posting the two wheels side by side. When you look at it, it’s obvious the left one will clear a caliper where the right one won’t. But I’ve never seen ‘em side by side.

First time I’ve ever understood the shape difference.

Chris