General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

dilemma about selling and buying cars

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM

dilemma about selling and buying cars

i have had my Rallye 350 from 1990 or 91. i all ready sold the 91 442 i had from 1993. now i still have my Rallye and my wife has the 72 cutlass we got from Scott 442. we were going to repaint the 72 this winter but tossing the idea around of selling both cars and all the Oldsmobile parts and part cars i have all the way down to nothing left and buying a
442 W-30. it will have to have A/C and automatic trans. we could both drive the same car and not have 2 of them. i will save garage space and less insurance. i would miss my first car but would enjoy a 442 just as much or more. i guess what i am asking is, is it worth keeping a car just because it was your first car? as far as enjoyment goes i know i would enjoy an automatic car more. i like saying i have a 4 speed car but that is only bragging rights. (this town, if you have a 4 speed car it triples the WOW factor) when people comment on the 4 speed i think to myself, i wish it were a duel gate. i will have to think long and hard about this one but would like your input and thoughts. maybe you will spark other ideas that i am not thinking about.
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

eric,the fact youre thinking of selling it answers your question on whether it being your first car is a big deal or not.

i think it all depends on what you want for the rallye,and what you want to pay for a w-30.

being a 4 speed is a plus,definitely.

ive seen driver condition rallyes selling in the 8k-15k range lately,but they were all automatics.
there is one here locally for 10k,it's a column shift F85 with a/c.been for sale a long time.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Talking

Hey man,are you saying your very first car or the first one you restored?
I guess you could let me keep them for a while,to see if you miss them...hahaahhaha!
If its your very first car,I'd say your losing touch with reality and should probably seek some help,Help him car gods!!
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Hey man,are you saying your very first car or the first one you restored?
I guess you could let me keep them for a while,to see if you miss them...hahaahhaha!
If its your very first car,I'd say your losing touch with reality and should probably seek some help,Help him car gods!!
both, first car and first car i restored. i got it at 15, around 1990 and restored it in 99. i do have alot of memories in this car.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

Unless there is also a monetary issue and only a practical/storage issue I would keep your first car. Maybe you could find a family member (older Aunt or Uncle) that would not mind you leaving your car stored inside their garage. Then you could sell the other car and buy what you want.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Just give it to me to store to you regain your composure. I'm stuck in a 69 rut and need to expand my life.
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Captain of my ship

It would also depend on what the wife thinks , but if she is on board then I would check out what similar cars are selling for right now. the market has not been as good the last year but things may be turning around a bit. I would not sacrifice very much in price if you are selling your car or lose anything on the one you just bought. you have a long time to find the car you want since you are relatively young compared to some on this site ( no names mentioned )
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Keep your first car. If you sell it you will regret it.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Getting There

20 years later after selling my 66 I still kick myself.............
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM

I think after you sell your "first", you will miss it and regret it...
See if you can find a very close friend to sell it to, or someone whom would let you come see it under "visitation rights!"

This is the main reason I still have my 78 Ford - I remember the day when my mom drove it home the first day. It was my first car to drive and it is still a reliable daily winter driver (other reason)...

I think Jamesbo will store it for you for free, as long as he can drive it.
Of course the interior might get covered with bear hair...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 20th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Sell things you can replace later. Don't sell things you can't replace like your first car. I'd pay extra to get my first one back.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM

You can never replace a first car
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM

I met a guy at our car show from Vancover Canada who has three Rallye Sports. He has the right idea 3-kids, 3 Rallye, will leave one to each kid when he passes on. bought a storage facility and added a few more. Now thats the right Idea and the first car was the first Rallye Sport. On the other hand if I kept my first favorite plus all of the others I would need a farm like Joe P. has to keep them all and the wife would leave..............hm, have to think about that, no wife, more money for cars...........
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
hm, have to think about that, no wife, more money for cars...........
My mentality for sure!
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM

I would think twice if I were you.This advice comes from experience
the REGRETS start as soon as someone puts the money in your hand and the car hasn't even left your driveway yet.Put it away for a couple of years and don't even go look at it Then see if you feel the same about selling it.Even if you can buy it back in a few years the car will never be the same it will be beat up or fixed up the way you wouldn't have done it.
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM

i told my dad what my wife and i were thinking and he thought i was out of my mind. he said to just bite the bullet and put an automatic in my Rallye for a while. i did that in high school for a short while. i would have the original 4 speed to put back in it when i decided to. i told him if i was going to do that i would put a 455 in it also. i would never raise my hood again at a car show. a Rallye 455 i definitely would not take it to any nationals with this setup in it. i would be embarrassed around a crowd of olds guys. thanks for your input.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I can't choose between my choice rallye 4 spd a w machine ...

What a dilemma ...

Poor baby ...
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM

Talking

Just to get this out of the way,MUGZILLA,your a SICK man!i.e. picture,HAHAHa.
Dont sell your first car,i still have mine and NO-ONE i talk to ever says,''oh,i'm glad i sold mine''.Think about it,theres only one ''FIRST'',like the first time you got laid.I got my first ,in my first car,so theres a another memory right there.I've owned my car for 24yrs,the other day ,my dad ran into the guy we bought it from,guess what he asked...Still got the car??Hes still sick,after all those years.I think you'd regret it,you can replace your wife[probably should'nt have said that,but its true]later on,BO
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Keep your first car. If you sell it you will regret it.
X2. Plus the Rallye is an original 4-speed car. I'd DEFINITELY keep it.
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by citcapp
On the other hand if I kept my first favorite plus all of the others I would need a farm like Joe P. has to keep them all and the wife would leave..............hm, have to think about that, no wife, more money for cars...........
Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My mentality for sure!
You need a wife like mine. I have more cars with her than I'd have without.

68conv455 is right, don't sell what you can't replace. If it really is that important, don't sell it.
You're doing the right thing by carefully considering it. What is right for you is particular to you and nobody else. Just be as certain as you can be before moving ahead.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM

jensenracing -

Bro, Don't live the life I have up until recently. My very first car was a '73 Cutlass Supreme. Nothing special. Just a triple green CS. Some of you may remember the story behind "my first car", in that I never got to drive it. When I sold that car there was a feeling that ate at me in the back of my head from after about the second day had passed that I sold that car. After 17 years of searching for another '73 to replace the emptiness and emotional attachment to THAT car. I now own a very nice, totally stock, extremely low mileage '73 Cutty. But you know what? It's NOT the same car. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cutty. Enjoy driving it, washing it, detailing it and going to car shows with it. Talking to other GM big body fans about it. And the smell of the interior is like nothing you will ever experience. Just like a time capsule. But it's not that one. That first car I ever owned. Everyone remembers their first car and thinks to themselves "wish I wouldn't have sold that "__________." I don't care if it was a crappy Geo 3 banger or a 1970 396 SS El Camino. Everyone remembers and has memories of the first one. Ultimately it's your choice. Could you sell the wives car now.....put a little extra back every month until you have the $$$ to go on the hunt for a W30? Me personally, and I will admit that my case is special, but I'd trade the most rarest of the rare for that green '73 Cutlass Supreme that I had and let go. So what if your wife will have an awesome W30? You still got your first car.
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM

Oh, and I'd like to add, it's not like your car is some chump car, by any stretch of the imagination. It's a RALLYE 350!!! That's a damn nice and pretty rare car in and of itself!!
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM

Heck yeah! Way better than a plain old '73 CS!
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by nukesec1
Heck yeah! Way better than a plain old '73 CS!
Oh, don't sell short a plain '73 CS. They're cool in their own right...!