General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Delux Spinner caps

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Delux Spinner caps

looking for advise, I have the deluxe spinners on my 59 and they squeak when I drive.
I replaced the clips but the problem got worse as the replacements are loose on the cap and now they rattle too
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:30 AM

Closest thing I had was a 65 Valant Rag that had hubcaps making ticking noises. No matter what I tried I couldn't make it stop. Finally switched to mags, then smashed the car up doing some seriously bad teenage driving....that fixed the noise problem, but I don't recommend it.
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Finally switched to mags, then smashed the car up doing some seriously bad teenage driving....that fixed the noise problem, but I don't recommend it.
Now *that* made me laugh!

I have factory wire covers on my Jetstar 1 and one side front clicks only on left hand turns. Best I can do with them. Cars tend to throw these covers on the highway too, but I've not had that happen. I wouldn't keep them on the car, but that is what it came with, so they stay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JS1 Sept 15 2013.jpg (93.3 KB, 11 views)
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I have factory wire covers on my Jetstar 1 and one side front clicks only on left hand turns. Best I can do with them. Cars tend to throw these covers on the highway too, but I've not had that happen. I wouldn't keep them on the car, but that is what it came with, so they stay!
Now that you mention it, the Valiant used to throw a wheel cover. I can sort of remember having to comb the ditches looking for it from time to time. So long ago I'd forgotten. Maybe 34 years ago !!
Where DOES the time go?
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Closest thing I had was a 65 Valant Rag that had hubcaps making ticking noises. No matter what I tried I couldn't make it stop. Finally switched to mags, then smashed the car up doing some seriously bad teenage driving....that fixed the noise problem, but I don't recommend it.

Yup that will fix them lol
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Now *that* made me laugh!

Im wondering if the tyres are hitting the edge, because as you turn the tyres deform and can hit Hmmm
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
Im wondering if the tyres are hitting the edge, because as you turn the tyres deform and can hit Hmmm
For some years my wife and I drove 63 and 64 Buick Rivieras. They had some spinner spoked caps that were quiet. Great big steel claws held them on. The cheaper ones have just got bent tin for grabbing the rim edge. Maybe that made a difference.
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
Actually it is a slight (and normal) wheel flex that is the culprit.
Useally wheel covers have "spring" clips to attach them to the wheels. This is how you can "pop" them on by compressing the clips. But these clips also absorb normal wheel flex. Some heavier covers are more rigid in the attachment attempting to keep the cover on the wheels. But they are then less forgiving to the wheel flex.
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:15 AM

If your hub caps are in good condition and a poor fit isn't the culprit then I suggest using a little bit of brake caliper grease between the wheel and the hub cap. Hopefully this will muffle any sound coming from the hub cap rubbing against the wheel. Of course, it might cause your hub caps to get thrown off of the car once you get up to driving speed too. Just a thought...
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
cause your hub caps to get thrown off of the car once you get up to driving speed too.
That will definitely get rid if the noise......