General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Decoding Transmission production days...

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
NôôB

Decoding Transmission production days...

What day is day number one for a transmission. Mainly for the 1970 turbo 350s

Basically looking for a transmission that would be the same week as what the Rallye was made to keep it all kinda numbers matching. Mine was built in the 3rd week of Feb 1970 and I have no clue what production days to look for or anything.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
What day is day number one for a transmission. Mainly for the 1970 turbo 350s

Basically looking for a transmission that would be the same week as what the Rallye was made to keep it all kinda numbers matching. Mine was built in the 3rd week of Feb 1970 and I have no clue what production days to look for or anything.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
They have a VIN derivative on them so you can look for a trans that is close to your VIN. I'd say since they do have a VIN number on them is it worth worrying about a date match. Anyway you look at it it will not be a number matching trans. What I mean is it isn't the same as finding a replacement carb, starter or distributor, the VIN on the trans will tell you it doesn't match.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:43 PM
NôôB

I understand that but i would like to get as close as i can to make it to numbers matching.
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM

The last digits stamped on the transmission ID tag were a serial number. I think they started with 1001, but I've heard of 3-digit numbers, so who knows.

Each transmission type had its own sequence of serial numbers. What I mean is that there is a serial number 1045 for each of OD, OG, and OW transmissions. So the factory might have built 500 OG transmissions on September 5, numbering them 1001 through 1500, then on September 6 built 300 OD transmissions, numbering them 1001 through 1300. Then on September 7 they might have switched back to OG and resumed the numbering at 1501.

As far as which number would best line up with your car's build date, I'm not sure that's possible. I've been trying to correlate 1970 OW transmission serial numbers to build dates and so far it appears pretty random. The final assembly plant probably received regular shipments of transmissions and put them in a holding area until needed on the line. I doubt these holding areas were a straight line guaranteeing first-in-first-out.

I'd love to hear from anyone else with knowledge of this issue.

Last edited by BlackGold; July 10th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM

I have also heard what Brian said and starting with 1001 with the trans numbers. I have never seen any OW trans number under 1XXX though. Most W30s I have records of seem to have at least a close correlation to the VIN/build date and sequence number of the tag but nothing in exact order as Brian has said.