General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

deceptive practices.

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2015, 06:24 AM

I think the Mods bailed on this thread!! Might be because i thought of stating we needed a sticky. Eric and i don't always agree so he will overlook this one!
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:10 AM
Administrator

I've monitored this thread with interest but don't think a sticky would work. It's a discussion that comes around quite often and the concern has been increasing since the mid 70's. I had set up a thread previously that pertains to parts that do not work which I thought would be easier because that list is understandably smaller. Do we really need a list for parts that do work.
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:41 AM

When talking to a sales person its a 50% chance they don't have a clue what they are talking about. I'm being nice when I say 50%.
So to ask them were a part is made or if it is quality is almost pointless.
I buy Can first and US second for the Jobs and quality that said there are some very good products coming from the Taiwanese.
The stuff coming out of China is getting better as well, and can sometimes be equal or better than North American.
This is bad news because the only reason to buy products from one's own country will be jobs and for some that will not be enough.
Its not lost on me that you don't trust off shore parts were death and injury could be the out come of a cheep off shore part, I feel the same way on this as well.
Its nice to see that others also think about the hidden cost of cheep off shore parts environment protection and worker rights.
China has little protection for both worker and environment.

Good post

Last edited by Bernhard; May 21st, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've monitored this thread with interest but don't think a sticky would work. It's a discussion that comes around quite often and the concern has been increasing since the mid 70's. I had set up a thread previously that pertains to parts that do not work which I thought would be easier because that list is understandably smaller. Do we really need a list for parts that do work.
Failing and american made is two different things!!
There is a need to buy usa parts if they are Quality parts !! If they are usa made and fail then they go in the {Do not work parts sticky}I am always going to buy USA parts first if they are quality made and work. All off shore parts are not all bad and this is why people should know the good from the bad to be informed. If you do decide it would need to be double column for usa parts and off shore parts.Like a list of what it is who makes it. JMO
Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:06 AM

I work for a company that manufacturers equipment that is used to build an oil and gas pipeline. In one instance a US contractor wanted cradles that can but a pipline into the trench while moving down the line. We make those. I was looking to see if our Canadian standards would be accepted in the US or if we would have to build and certify to US standards. After some searching on US government sites and then Canadian government sites, it turns out the US and Canada accept the others safety standards and building standards. So our CSA built lifting equipment is recognized and accepted as equal to US Standards in the USA and vice-versa.

So for me, if I'm looking to buy a part, I will go with the Canadian/American made product. I have noticed that the Chinese products are getting better in quality however. I also remember when I was a kid, that if you wanted to insult the quality of something you said "It's probably made in Japan". Today that it's a compliment. So overseas parts are probably getting better. Even the Chinese are outsourcing today. I wonder what the Chinese think of Cambodian made products.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:48 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by 442much
So for me, if I'm looking to buy a part, I will go with the Canadian/American made product. I have noticed that the Chinese products are getting better in quality however. I also remember when I was a kid, that if you wanted to insult the quality of something you said "It's probably made in Japan". Today that it's a compliment. So overseas parts are probably getting better. Even the Chinese are outsourcing today. I wonder what the Chinese think of Cambodian made products.
"Made in England" or "Made in Britain" used to mean something was made as well as it could be. Then America an Germany took over the mantle for top quality, only to be overtaken in their turn by the Japanese.
In the '60s the French car makers Renault and Peugeot had a stellar reputation for reliability, as did Volkswagen. Where are they now?.
Cadillacs were noted for top notch build quality as well as a luxurious driving experience back in the day.
I wonder if we will see the day when Great Wall and Hindustan are recognised as the quality leaders in car manufacturing?.

Roger.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't sell it short Roger. The way GM and others are leaning it might not be that long (relatively speaking) before the major production plants and tooling dies are located in those areas. Canada and USA could end up being 'final assembly' and sales only. I'm not sure if I can justify saying this with facts but it seems that some companies see sales $$$ as more important than reliability/quality. Heck of a way to make an impression or statement in the market isn't it?
Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Don't sell it short Roger. The way GM and others are leaning it might not be that long (relatively speaking) before the major production plants and tooling dies are located in those areas. Canada and USA could end up being 'final assembly' and sales only. I'm not sure if I can justify saying this with facts but it seems that some companies see sales $$$ as more important than reliability/quality. Heck of a way to make an impression or statement in the market isn't it?
I can say the end game for aircraft being built will be in china!! Also we are in the demise state here in american being sold out by corporate america and politicians get use to it it's been going on since 1970. I hope i don't live long enough to see the total collapse. White guys are to dumb to march on washington!! Let the brothers do it and the ones down south! I am afraid quality parts will soon be a myth in america!
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:14 PM
morgan

China certainly can make good stuff when they have t and choose to harden the steel ....china does not want to go the way the USA has. I have a 3 cyl iron block chinese yangdong diesel engine and has proved to be one of the most reliable engines ive had some of the rubber parts are crappy but overall china makes good engines
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:10 PM
Kjr442

I bought my brake calipers, and rotors from NAPA. When I got home I realized the calipers were made in china. I took them back, and bought rebuild kits.
I am sure the china calipers would have been fine, but I just couldn't let myself put them on my 442
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:46 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

How come America can't build cheap junk at a price to compete with Chineseum?. That is what the buying public are purchasing.
Perhaps $1 per hour wages would help. Manufacturing can't compete on a level playing field with emerging industrial nations. Maybe tariffs to even things up?. But protectionism led to some of the worst recessions in world history.
Any economics majors out there with some input?.

Roger.
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Mak

Everything is made in China, now... your smart phone, television, fridge, microwave, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, there's plenty of junk coming out of China, but that's because companies specify it to be cheap, junk. But, even that "high quality" product that is not being made in China, it's a good probability that the precision machinery being used to manufacture said product, is itself, made in China.

I know it's hard for the old guys to accept, but China IS where manufacturing happens now. Nearly everything that you use day to day was made in China. Take all the "Made in China" items out of your local Walmart and see what you have left... maybe one isle?

Bottom line, the consumer ultimately dictates what is available, it's quality and price point... we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:04 PM
jfb

amen the buck speaks loudly out there in a quote to above.
Old June 13th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Even worse .

I was reflecting back to an article from Hot Rod Network from 9 /20 / 2013 .
It was entitled : " Counterfeit Automotive Products . " The article referred to estimated costs of 12 Billion worldwide and 250,000 jobs in the US .
The 5 manufacturers in the US mentioned were , MSD 6AL Ignition Box , Auto Meter Monster + Pro Comp tachometers , Comp Cams Hi-Tech Rockers , ARP Fasteners , Flowmaster Mufflers , Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators . It said that this was the tip of the iceberg .
As Mak indicated above , we have met the enemy , and the enemy is us . Easiest way to be taken advantage of , paying 20 - 80 % less and buying from the internet . Second easiest , open box's at swap meets or used from internet .
The article indicated that they had been targeted for years , and showed pictures of how to spot a fake part . And , this is for parts that we would consider beyond being able to be substandard .
Brake parts in box's ? That could be an unbelieveable Pandora's box . From 1983 - 1993 I managed multiple Midas Muffler and Brake shops in MSP . We believed we were installing the highest grade friction material and hardware available . 10 - 20 % of what was shipped , was questionable . Caliper slides and hardware were the worst . Owens Corning was stipulated for high temp lubrication , and primarily for GM , we ended up buying our caliper pins from GM dealers . All of the aftermarket market brake hardware in kits was lesser than O.E. quality , and all vendors were vetted . In some ways , it frightens me what I've actually put into my 1967 442 . Most brake parts came from Parts Plus or NAPA ...... Just my observations , and of course , @ 62 yrs . old , maybe I'm just too old .. J2 .
Old June 14th, 2015, 05:59 PM
jfb

hey jim I am the 2nd generation after these cars were built I hear you on the parts and we are never to old to enjoy these cars. I used to be able to know what was pure quality also and now is crap and nobody really says anything about it, what a fu===n shame now. I want quality under my a=s for serious matters not c==p also. this needs to change soon. I am not one who goes to hugely populated areas with my olds and I have to depend on my intellect with parts to avoid hassles,long tows and maybe a job problem with unavoidable lay overs. the parts have to have a good quality record and there are a lot of lies out there but we and our friends as a community can make a difference in this area. money, conversations and group strength and discipline and then we can have a better time out there.
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:05 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Soap box time....I would LOVE to see the shelves stripped bare of chineasium garbage, mardi gras beads excluded. Maybe it'd be the wake up call for all the sloths of society that don't care that they will be required to speak chinese in 20 years because we empowered their corporate take over of the planet....It would be totally different if high quality and poison free products were available. Unfortunately this is generally not the case. I for one will not give up my quest to ferret out USA or Canadian made products. I will restore it verses give in to purchasing new garbage(when humanly possible). I also call/email these companies and thank them for keeping it here and keeping us employed. I cant tell you how many times a week I read the "country of origin" and put the junk right back on the shelf or don't hit the "order it now" button on Amazon etc...I'm raising the kids this way as well. Family and close friends are on the wagon too. Its a mind set, lack of a washed mind that is. You'd be surprised at how many people I speak with that simply do not pay attention to this undermining of our country. But....once made aware of it the light bulb does actually go on, duh. Aldis sells fresh garlic....imported from china...REALLY! Guess where I stopped shopping. Im sure none of our farmers need to sell their garlic...I let the branch manager know this and that Id be spreading the word. No sir I will not lay down and let corporate goonies dictate.
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:27 AM
"me somebody" site member

Rock Auto...rocks.
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Administrator

It's going to be a short list, not a lot of items made here in the states anymore. I've been ranting about the direction that manufacturing was going since the mid 70's. Why just limit this to car parts Jim, what about everything else you own? Go find an American made washing machine, tv, cell phone, etc. It aint happening!