General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass died again

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2010, 11:49 AM

Cutlass died again

My 70 Cutlass died again today but I was on my way home and I rolled to a stop in front of my house, driving then the ignition just cut out. Connected a volt meter from ground to positive terminal on coil got 12 volts. I previously swithched out coil last week with a known goon one, still no start. I've ruled out coil, also fairly new. Checked points (Blue Streak) connections good. Checked distributor wire for a short, no short. Changed condesor. Started right up. Rotor and cap good, no cracks or carbon tracts and they are fairly new Standard brand. The one time I was hoping it wouldn't start was when I put the old condensor back in but it started up and ran fine. Still not trusting the old condensor I replaced it but mounted it on the coil this time. Car is running fine but I did not drive it for any distance. Both times it died it started fine but died after 10 to 15 minutes. When it dies it completely dies as if the ignition was turned off, no sputters, nothing. Still wondering and hoping it's a condesor with an intermitent problem. Unfortunately the new condensor I put in is made in Mexico.

There was really no loss since I took it out today with the intension of replacing the condensor, but I'm still wondering if that was the problem.
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM

One thing that can do this is a bad ground it could be the ground cable or ground strap.
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:01 PM

I'll check those, no harm disconnecting them, cleaning and reconnecting, though the engine cranks strong when I have the no start problem. My 88 Caprice had a bad ground but that caused the starter to barely turn. The coil gets 12 volts but still no start. running a jumper to the + on the coil then cranking still had no start. Two summers ago I had a bad condensor, it would start fine run fine for a few minutes then would barely run.
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:20 PM

There's a reasonable PERTRONIX set-up for sale on here - fix it forever!!
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:38 PM

Pertronix is probably in my future. I had two caddies, a 72 Eldo as an everyday driver and a 71 Coup DeVille both for nearly 10 years. I never replaced a condensor. I only replaced the points once in each, just cleaned and adjusted. I suspect the quality of some of today's parts are junk.
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Destructor
I suspect the quality of some of today's parts are junk.
I suspect that you suspect right.

- Eric
Old October 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

I suspect the quality of some of today's parts are junk.
I agree too.

Unfortunately the new condensor I put in is made in Mexico.
I bought a NAPA condenser a couple of months ago and it was made in Mexico too. I found a Blue Streak Dealer and bought a new set of points and condenser. More $ but made here.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Destructor
Pertronix is probably in my future. I had two caddies, a 72 Eldo as an everyday driver and a 71 Coup DeVille both for nearly 10 years. I never replaced a condensor. I only replaced the points once in each, just cleaned and adjusted. I suspect the quality of some of today's parts are junk.
xx3