General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cooling system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Cooling system upgrade

Hi again guys, I'm moving along on the frame-off of my '72 and decided to change to a clutch-fan and shroud set up. I'm doing this car as a "Day-Two" type resto. and some of the items will be a little racier that stock. I am using an aftermarket aluminum radiator with two 1" tubes, a Dick Miller high volume aluminum water pump, and factory 6-blade fan and clutch. The core support and top plate that came in the car are for a std. cooling system. I have a 3-core top plate from a previous parts car that, providing it will fit with all the other components, I will refurbish and use. The core support is at the body shop so here are my questions: Do I need the saddles or "U" shape brackets for the bottom of the core support (I think I do)? Has anybody used the ones from Fusick? They are listed as a 4-core replacement and come with the rubbers. Do I need the tabs that attach to the bottom of the core support to fasten the shroud to? Has anybody used that item that is available from Inline Tube? Do I need and should I just go ahead and buy the 4-core top plate from Fusicks (thay also come with the rubbers)? Has anybody used that item? If so, is it a decent repro. and does it look correct and fit correctly? Boy!, This is getting long in the tooth here, but I figured you guys would know!!!!! Thanks in advance, Dave.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
JC

Outcome?

Dave,
What were the answers you figured out to all these questions?
Im in the same boat, my rad took a dump, needs to be recored or replaced.
Im leaning towards an aftermarket Aluminum rad.
Companies Ive looked into-
Be Cool
US Radiator
Griffon
Champion
American Eagle

Couple others that escape me at the moment. Looking at the 2 row 1 inch per row type. I will be putting a shroud back on it too. Dont have one yet or any of the shroud hardware either.
So any info to what I will need, what fits, what to avoid, etc is appreciated.