General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Converting bench to buckets -- impact on value

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Converting bench to buckets -- impact on value

When a car comes with a factory bench seat & column shift, does converting to buckets seats and floor shift hurt or help the resale value?

Last edited by 71OldsCool; November 16th, 2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: missed a few details
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:20 AM

I think a few factors come into play. Like is the car a rather rare car and keeping it original is the best way to retain value? Or is it a typical Cutlass that say does or does not have numbers match drivetrain? Then converting to buckets and console makes it more desirable to a bigger buying market. But, the expense of doing it right is up there too. Are you building it for resale? Or are you building it for your own pleasure?

All comes into play. Unless it is a numbers match car and not a rare car then I say make it what you want.

Just my two cents.

Larry
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM

Not only that, if it's a plain-jane, vanilla Cutlass how much difference would there be in value between buckets and bench? Couple hundred dollars? A thousand dollars? It's not like it will double the value of the vehicle.
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:21 AM

If you do convert it, and the original seat and column are in good shape, you should keep them along with the car. There would be no room for complaint if you then sold the car to someone who wanted it original if it came with the original parts, or, better yet, you could convert it back then sell the buckets and console to someone else as an upgrade kit.

Many people want to change to the buckets because they are more comfortable, and many people want to do it because it's sportier. I personally don't think the buckets are that much more comfortable, and a properly set up transmission will performance shift fine on its own, but that's your preference. I do know a console gets in the way of a friendly girl trying to be close.
Old November 16th, 2016, 01:53 PM

OK, Let's hear it. Exactly how do you know this?
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Easy...he's not married!
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
I own a couple bench seat A bodies....

and I'm not married.
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:58 PM

I don't think it makes any difference on a car that is not something special. On a race car, pro-touring etc., I can see having buckets. For something different I like seeing bench seats, as they are seen less. Over the years removing benches became common.
Not having to jump in the back to get some is a big advantage with a bench. How many here ever got a horn blown at them when necking while the light turned green?
On a manual floor shift car with a original bench, I think it is a big wrong move.
And there are no bench seat cars made today.
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:48 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Just do it correctly with all the factory hardware and wiring etc...(and correct after market) and you should be fine. To the right buyer buckets add value, but not much. Conversely removal of the OEM bench stuff wont impact value much. This also depends of the car. Alter a numbers matching documented W or Hurst car and in my opinion it will significantly hurt the value if I was the buyer.