General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Contemplating a tire and wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2018 | 07:24 PM
Forward into the Past

Contemplating a tire and wheel swap

So I was cleaning brake dust off the rims on my '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible today when it occurred to me it has the same size tires as my late father's 2002 Silhouette, which I have at my house to sell once my mom and sister can find the title. Both vehicles have 225-65-R16 tires. The convertible has a set of El Dorado Golden Fury tires, a brand I'm totally unfamiliar with. Looking at the date code, they're a little more than three years old and have hardly any wear as the previous owner hadn't driven it much the past couple of years. The van has a set of Pirelli P4's that my dad put on it right before he stopped driving, so they might have 500 miles on them. I'm seriously considering swapping tires and wheels between the two vehicles to get the Pirellis onto the convertible. Both vehicles have similar looking alloy wheels, although the van's are a six-spoke pattern and the convertible's are a five-spoke pattern and of course, the convertible's wheels have the older rectangular rocket emblem while the van's have the later oval emblem. I did some measuring and the lug patterns appear to be the same on both. Center to center, adjacent lugs are 2.75 inches apart and every second lug is 4.25 inches apart. On the front of both vehicles, the space between the back of the wheel and the brake rotor is two inches, measuring through the wheel opening. Spacing on the rear wheels is different since the van has drums in the back and the convertible has discs. The outer face of the convertible's wheels have a little flatter appearance than the van's wheels but I'm just curious enough to swap a rear wheel between each and see what happens. If that goes okay with no scraping when I move the vehicle, I'll try a front wheel. If that works, I'll take it the rest of the way. The weather is expected to be bad for the next week, so I will have plenty of time to consider this move. I've included photos of the two wheels for your perusal. At the very least, I'll claim the chrome lug nuts off of the van, which were originally on my '94 LSS. Silhouette wheel
Convertible wheel
Old September 9th, 2018 | 07:31 PM
Olds Fever

IMO keep the 95 wheels on the 95 Cutlass... If you need tires, just swap the tires...
Old September 9th, 2018 | 08:14 PM
Forward into the Past

I hear what you're saying, John. The whole thing is a matter of upgrading to a much better quality of tires on the convertible. I doubt the El Dorados on the convertible have more than a couple of thousand miles on them but they're pretty much a budget all season radial while the Pirellis on the van are more premium quality. To swap the tires only would entail mounting and balancing eight tires, which would cost more than would really be practical on a vehicle that is not a daily driver. That said, now that I look at the two photos, I tend to agree with you from an aesthetic standpoint. I like the look of the '95 wheels. I may just swap one wheel to see how it looks before making a final decision.
Old September 10th, 2018 | 03:22 PM
Olds Fever

My strong point on staying with the Cutlass wheel is to keep the "Cutlass Convertible" original as possible... It's stands out from all other Cutlass models of the W-Body series and also has a higher resale value as such... Straying too far from originality can reduce the value when/if you should decide to part with it sometime in the future... IMO the Silhouette wheel just isn't sporty enough for the Convertible... You may also have to consider will there be any issues when trying to sell the Silhouette with a much older style wheel on it that is not factory for that model once you swap them... It's just my $.02, but it's your $.98 that really counts...
Old September 10th, 2018 | 04:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Neither of these are really high value, collectable vehicles. I just think the five spoke wheels look a lot better than the minivan wheels.
Old September 10th, 2018 | 04:25 PM
Forward into the Past

Yeah, I've pretty well decided to keep things as they are. The more I look at the two wheels, the more I can't see the convertible sitting on Silhouette wheels. It'll be interesting to see how long those El Dorado tires last. Since the convertible will never be a daily driver for me, they'll probably dry rot before they wear out.