Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Seeking set of wheels for 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Seeking set of wheels for 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

How's it running fellow Oldsmobile connoisseurs!?
I'm currently located in Denver, CO with an irritating wheel and tire problem. I own a '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme and am running 215/75R14s with the original 14x6 wheels. Problem is, the wheels are warped and when I hit 55Mph on the highway, I start to experience steering wheel bounce. I am for certain the cause is the wheels because the car runs bounce free when I throw another set of donor wheels on. The other problem I have is the look of my car with these tall and thin tires. The do not fill up the wheel wells worth a dam and make my car look like a daddy long legged spider. Third problem is the cost of the now discontinued fat tires for 14s from Coker Tires are nearly $300.00 a tire. I don't know about you but $300.00 for one 14 inch tire is ridiculous. At this point I'm looking for new or used wheels with or without tires that will look good and fill up the wheel housing with either rubber or rim. Opinions or recommendations welcomed. Thanks!
(Pictures attached)

-Rick

The wheels and tires are way too tucked in for my taste. Looks more like a grandfathers sunday car than a muscle car.
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:52 PM

Nice looking '72 Supreme - those are my car of choice as well. Every Olds Super Stock wheel from 1972 - SSI, SSI or II - was a 14"x7", so if you have an older or newer 14x6 on there (and especially with 215 tires), no doubt it will look tiny in those wheelwells.

For a stock appearance, you can make a big difference just by going to a 15" SSII wheel and tire (w/ a 225/70 or Wide Oval G70). 1975-up wheels with snap on center caps are simple to find and inexpensive. The rare 1974-only ones with bolt on center caps are more expensive but will look exactly like the ones that came on 1972s new, just one size larger in diameter to fill up the wheelwells. A member here just posted three sets of those for sale today.

If you want to move away from a stock look, then there are others here who can give their two cents.

Terry
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
Nice looking '72 Supreme - those are my car of choice as well. Every Olds Super Stock wheel from 1972 - SSI, SSI or II - was a 14"x7", so if you have an older or newer 14x6 on there (and especially with 215 tires), no doubt it will look tiny in those wheelwells.

For a stock appearance, you can make a big difference just by going to a 15" SSII wheel and tire (w/ a 225/70 or Wide Oval G70). 1975-up wheels with snap on center caps are simple to find and inexpensive. The rare 1974-only ones with bolt on center caps are more expensive but will look exactly like the ones that came on 1972s new, just one size larger in diameter to fill up the wheelwells. A member here just posted three sets of those for sale today.

If you want to move away from a stock look, then there are others here who can give their two cents.

Terry
Thanks Terry, got to love the Cutlass Supremes! Will keep your advice in mind. I was thinking of just ordering some SSII from OPGI in 15x8s and tossing some 255/70R15 BF Goodrichs on them. Would eliminate the problem but want to see if I can find a cheaper route first. On another note I did not know the '72 CSs came with 14x7 originally. Someone before me must have threw some newer wheels on it somewhere down the line.

-Rick
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I think you've made a faulty conclusion about the wheels being warped. I suspect you have out of balance tires more than anything else. Only way to know for sure is have a tire shop spin them. If you had warped rims you would feel that a lower speeds too. If you're feeling the bounce through the column it's the rear wheels that are causing the problem.

The stock tire size for your car was F78/14. I still run 14" tires on my car and the proper size equivalent is 225/70/14 without having any significant effect on the speedometer. They also fill the wheel wells nicely and provide great road feel. I'm not sure why you say 14" isn't available because I just bought a new set of BFGs for around 130/tire installed. Got em from Costco.
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I think you've made a faulty conclusion about the wheels being warped. I suspect you have out of balance tires more than anything else. Only way to know for sure is have a tire shop spin them. If you had warped rims you would feel that a lower speeds too. If you're feeling the bounce through the column it's the rear wheels that are causing the problem.

The stock tire size for your car was F78/14. I still run 14" tires on my car and the proper size equivalent is 225/70/14 without having any significant effect on the speedometer. They also fill the wheel wells nicely and provide great road feel. I'm not sure why you say 14" isn't available because I just bought a new set of BFGs for around 130/tire installed. Got em from Costco.
Thanks for the Input Allan. I know for a fact my wheels are warped because the guys at Firestone told me the whole set of four was bad before mounting. Also when I said I no longer can find tires for 14s I was meaning I can no longer find tall wide tires of my liking that fill up the wheel wells due to them being discontinued.

-Rick
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM
72 Olds CS

Hey Rick

nice looking 72. I have the ss3 15x7 on my 72 w 255-60-15s

also the FS guys might not have known the olds rim is a lug centric rim not a hub centric rim like most are today! that could also account for the appearance of 4 warpd rims
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Hey Rick

nice looking 72. I have the ss3 15x7 on my 72 w 255-60-15s

also the FS guys might not have known the olds rim is a lug centric rim not a hub centric rim like most are today! that could also account for the appearance of 4 warpd rims
Thank you sir. Interesting, never knew that about the Olds rims. So quick question, how does your Olds look with 255/60R15s? Do they fill up the quater wheel wells? Maybe a shot of the car from the rear?
Thanks!

-Rick
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:31 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

here's your guy!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sii-ssiii.html