General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Condolences for Chris Witt ("Octania" on this forum)

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Chris (Octania) shared many laughs together. Loved his sense of humor. Bought many parts from him. Got a fuel pump from him just a couple of weeks ago. Always enjoyed talking with him. I am glad to see he is giving life even after death by donating his organs. That's the kind of guy he is. Condolences to the family. You will be missed Octania but you shall continue to live! RIP my friend.
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:36 PM

So sorry to hear this terrible news.
Deepest regrets and condolences to Chris's family.
His knowledge was a huge asset to our community.
Bought parts from and sold parts to Chris a few times over the years.
Always a stand-up guy.
RIP Chris.
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Pardon my French, but holy ****.

My wife had surgery yesterday, was at the hospital all day, got her home, logged in, and I see THIS?

Oh, man. I'm really upset. Crap. I liked him.

My deepest condolences to Chris's family, and to all of the Oldsmobile community (Classic- and otherwise).
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but if anyone who knows his family thinks that a collection is in order, I'd be glad to contribute.

What a damned shame.

- Eric
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:28 PM

So sorry to hear. He was always very helpful with parts and advice. Prayers to his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Lansing built

Wow! I heard of news story for a man hitting a dog on his motorcycle about 11:00 PM last night on the southside of Lansing. I tried the link on facebook not sure how to glean information from that! I wonder if this was it?

Another Olds brotheren gone! RIP my good man. Lived across town, chatted a few times here but never really had a chance to press the flesh.

Pat
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Sad day for sure. Prayers for his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Very sorry to hear the news. Chris got me started on Classicolds.com. He always answered any question I asked. Too bad, good guy!!!!

Harry
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:56 PM

Very sad. Rip
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:26 PM

I've read his posts for years, and occasionally messaged about parts. Always a nice guy, such a shock. My deepest sympathy for his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I tried the link on facebook not sure how to glean information from that!
My wife tells me that what is visible on FaceBook is his "public wall," and that most of his posts are only visible to "friends," so the only way to see that stuff is to have his wife accept a "friend request."
Since his wife is probably overwhelmed and very busy, it seems unlikely that she will be "friending" anyone on his account any time soon.
Also, if you are like me and have no FaceBook account, then your friend request will actually be from someone else completely unrelated to Chris's interests (such as your wife), and so may be rejected anyway.

Personally, I would be grateful if anyone who CAN see his wife's message could post a screen grab of it here.

There but for the Grace of God go any of us.

- Eric
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:56 PM
1971 442 conv

Very sad indeed. Our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and family. I never met Chris *the* Rocket Scientist in person, but I always looked forward to receiving his emails from the original Olds Chebecto ListServer back in the late 90's. He was always helpful and encouraging to the rest of us. He also enjoyed looking up GM part numbers while he was compiling his PN Database and bolt sizes spread sheet. RIP Chris. Thank You for all your help.
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Wow! I heard of news story for a man hitting a dog on his motorcycle about 11:00 PM last night on the southside of Lansing. I tried the link on facebook not sure how to glean information from that! I wonder if this was it?

Another Olds brotheren gone! RIP my good man. Lived across town, chatted a few times here but never really had a chance to press the flesh.

Pat
i also read it in the lsj, but it didnt have a name, said the man was critical condition.later in the day i came on here and seen this,felt like a kick in the gut. where the man hit the dog isnt very far from chris' home. shocked i tell you just shocked.like i said in the other post,i dealt with and talked to him a few times,but knew him from here and other olds forums,i even have one of his old flyers i picked up at the local speedshop about 28 yrs ago. he was a legend in all of the olds communities.
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Senior Moment Member

Argh. Bikes are SO dangerous. All it takes is one person not looking properly. This is a damn shame. Of course my thought and prayers are with the family. Just a damn shame.

Last edited by z11375ss; August 5th, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM

Damn, I liked Chris and his sense of humor, I first ran into him online at Oldsgooglegroups, knowledgeable, and like to prank us there with his April Fools jokes. My sincere condolences, you will be missed.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:22 PM

This is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. I wish them strength in this difficult time.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:25 PM
GM Enthusiast

I never had the pleasure to meet Chris but we shared many conversations back and forth on our postings. Great guy and he will be missed. My prayers to his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:31 PM

Sad loss. A brilliant sense of humour and obviously brilliant mind as well.

Prayers to his family.
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:22 PM
72Cutlass S

I am deeply saddened to hear this. I always enjoyed his wry wit when he weighed in on things.

Only my best wishes for his family.
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:12 AM

I'm sorry to hear it too. He seemed like a very nice guy who probably had a lot to do with this forum being such a pleasant place to "hang around", as shown by all the comments here.

My condolences to his family.
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:31 AM

Very sad! Deepest condolences go out to his wife and family.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WMACHINES
Chris Witt update. I just got off the phone with his wife Angela. He donated his organs. Will be a couple of days before all details are done. She will have a memorial service. As soon as she gets the details she will text me with the info. I will pass on said info to everyone.
Regards Mark.
Thanks, Mark. I'd be especially interested to know if there is a memorial fund or charity donation fund set up. It would be nice if we could do something as Classicoldsmobile. I'm in for that.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:07 AM

Very sorry to hear about this. I did not know him personally, but we had communicated about a re-stamped dist several years ago. I will miss his help, knowledge and wit. Rest in peace and my condolences to family + friends.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:16 AM

He was so very helpful when I had a problem. I knew when I saw the name 'Octania" I was going to get some good advice. So sad to hear of his passing.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Thanks, Mark. I'd be especially interested to know if there is a memorial fund or charity donation fund set up. It would be nice if we could do something as Classicoldsmobile. I'm in for that.
X2 Joe, Count me in for a Ben.
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:05 AM

We live in a "Fallen World" and Chris is in a better place. Robski......
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:12 AM

His humor was a breath of fresh air. He will be very missed. Prayers for all who feel his lose.
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Kind of numb, a hollow sensation. Was just speaking with him at Homecoming, known him for over 25 years, done business on many occasions. Always a ready hand to help, offer advice, research...whatever that was needed. Always will remember the twinkle in his eyes when talking Olds. I remember the first time we met was the old swap meet in front of Headquarters building, he and his brother with their little yellow parts flyers looking for red engines, or W parts...or a lead on the SMW 403....

Rest in Peace Chris

Brett
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:09 AM

I think that is a great idea. If somebody will help start a fund,I'm in for a donation. I'm sure his family could use some support and help. We did it for a member on ROP who passed away and we raised some money that they appreciated. Anybody?
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

Rest in Peace my friend.

We will All miss him.
Really enjoyed our talking on the phone or emailing. We learned a lot from one another.

I also will be an organ Donor. Signed up a few years ago.

Mike & Barb from Nebraska.
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I think that is a great idea. If somebody will help start a fund,I'm in for a donation. I'm sure his family could use some support and help. We did it for a member on ROP who passed away and we raised some money that they appreciated. Anybody?
Did that ROP fundraiser use an on-line donation system, or was it just cash and checks. I suspect it would be a lot easier to use paypal or something like that, give how geographically spread we all are. If no one else has suggestions, I'll research it tomorrow. Booked up for the rest of today, unfortunately.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Joe, I think this is one of the more popular ones

https://www.gofundme.com/
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's always GoFundMe and similar things...

- Eric

edit: JINX!
Old(s) Fart

OK, it turns out that there are many such online memorial donation services available now. I don't have time to research which ones may or may not take a cut for their service. We need to know details on the beneficiary, etc. I'm happy to take the lead on this, but I can't do it today. I can have it up and running tomorrow. If someone else already has one started, that's fine too, just let me know.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Thanks Joe, if you have the time to track that down I expect there's a lot of us who would join you in providing support at this time.

Mikes442, I agree being an organ donor is a good idea. When I'm done here on earth if someone else's life can be enhanced by using my spare parts that's a good thing. That was one last gift Chris gave to others.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:27 AM

:sad:

HERE's his last post here.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Did that ROP fundraiser use an on-line donation system, or was it just cash and checks. I suspect it would be a lot easier to use paypal or something like that, give how geographically spread we all are. If noone else has suggestions, I'll research it tomorrow. Booked up for the rest of today, unfortunately.
I actually was the one who took paypal and other types of payment and forwarded it to his family. I think a Gofundme account would be a good solution as long as they don't take a cut. If we do get something setup,we can post it on ROP because Chris was on there also.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; August 6th, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Diego
HERE's his last post here.
Already noted in the Necrology thread (for which all additions, ideas, and assistance are welcome).

- Eric

edit: It just occurred to me that the thread title may not be known as a common expression amongst all members - if a Mod judges it better to change the thread title to "In Memoriam" or something similar, that would, of course, be welcome, as well.

Last edited by MDchanic; August 6th, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:43 AM

I've heard of times when a devoted person of a hobby passes and their heirs raffle or auction off their stuff of that hobby, and it usually goes for way more than it's worth. I only mention this now as it is on subject to the donation fund idea; otherwise it's too crass to speculate about things instead of talking about the person. Perhaps something like that should be set up so that his heirs can be well taken care of by his friends in the hobby. I was nowhere near close enough to him to do any more than suggest this, though.

"Lansing man seeks virgin, unmolested 702657 Quadrajet, inquire within." This sucks, I'm going to miss him.
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
"Lansing man seeks virgin, unmolested 702657 Quadrajet, inquire within." This sucks, I'm going to miss him.

i always chuckled when i saw his wanted ads...always..

Quick Reply: Condolences for Chris Witt ("Octania" on this forum)