General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Clear coat Anodized parts?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Clear coat Anodized parts?

Hey guys, just looking for a few rattle can suggestions for putting a clear coat on some new parts.
What brands do you like best?

New Booster and MC coming in this week and want to help it look a little better for a little longer.
Not show car or anything.
Thanks!

-peter

Old May 6th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Ive had good luck with VHT Clear on engine parts(aluminum intake, Water pump)
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:37 AM

Just don’t get any brake fluid on that clear, it will stain/wash right off. Only catalyzed clear/paints have a decent chance of standing up to brake fluid and even then it’s no sure bet.

Rattle can is just minimal solids in a solvent, when the solvent evaporates it leaves behind the solids. Catalyzed clear, the higher the quality the more solids and UV protection it contains. It has very minimal solvent and when activated it chemically hardens by cross linking the solids creating a very durable paint, any solvent is there just to allow it to be sprayed.

Clear coating those surfaces is a good idea, just be aware of solvent sensitivity.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:47 AM

ECS makes a product that is supposed to help protect plated parts and keep them looking nice:

https://ecs-automotive-concepts.mysh...gic-guard-4-oz

I have some but haven't used it, their RPM (rust prevention magic) has worked pretty well from my experience.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:50 AM

I need to get that, I have some gray phosphated parts getting rust.
Old May 6th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just to clarify, nothing in that photo is anodized. Anodizing is an oxide layer on aluminum. The RPO B85 trim parts are anodized, for example.
The gold coating on steel parts is alodine. That brake combo valve is brass and that's just the natural color.

The problem with clear coat paint is that you can't sand the surface to promote adhesion. I've had bad experiences with clear coat peeling from smooth surfaces.
I've been using Sharkhide on polished aluminum and alodine steel. So far so good.

Also, consider the Eastwoom master cylinder paint for the cast iron M/C. It's pretty much brake fluid resistant.

Old May 6th, 2021, 10:15 AM

"alodine" ...that's very interesting, never heard that before.
I guess I knew it wasn't really anodized...but didn't know that term.
Thanks!

And yeah...that eastwood paint is great.
-peter

Old May 6th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
"alodine" ...that's very interesting, never heard that before.
I guess I knew it wasn't really anodized...but didn't know that term.
Thanks!

And yeah...that eastwood paint is great.
-peter
Well, alodine is apparently a brand name (owned by Henkel, who also makes Loctite) for chromate conversion coating. I didn't know that until just now. We always called it by the brand name when I was at Hughes.
Old May 6th, 2021, 12:54 PM

"Alodine" as I recall was mainly used on aluminum in "commercial aircraft repair" as a protective coating. "Unbright-Cad" was for steel.
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
"Alodine" as I recall was mainly used on aluminum in "commercial aircraft repair" as a protective coating. "Unbright-Cad" was for steel.
Yes, that's where I used it, but it's a chromate conversion coating that's also used on steel, zinc, and other metals.

From Wiki (yeah, we all know how accurate THAT is... ):

Chromate conversion coating or alodine coating is a type of conversion coating used to passivate steel, aluminium, zinc, cadmium, copper, silver, titanium, magnesium, and tin alloys.[1].1265[2] The coating serves as a corrosion inhibitor, as a primer to improve the adherence of paints and adhesives,[2] as a decorative finish, or to preserve electrical conductivity. It also provides some resistance to abrasion and light chemical attack (e. g. from dirty fingers) on soft metals.[2]

Chromate conversion coatings are commonly applied to everyday items such as screws, hardware and tools. They usually impart a distinctively iridescent, greenish-yellow color to otherwise white or gray metals. The coating has a complex composition including chromium salts, and a complex structure.[2]

The process is sometimes called alodine coating, a term used specifically[2] in reference to the trademarked Alodine process of Henkel Surface Technologies.[3]
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:14 PM

I always thought it was zinc chromate
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, that's where I used it, but it's a chromate conversion coating that's also used on steel, zinc, and other metals.

From Wiki (yeah, we all know how accurate THAT is... ):

Chromate conversion coating or alodine coating is a type of conversion coating used to passivate steel, aluminium, zinc, cadmium, copper, silver, titanium, magnesium, and tin alloys.[1].1265[2] The coating serves as a corrosion inhibitor, as a primer to improve the adherence of paints and adhesives,[2] as a decorative finish, or to preserve electrical conductivity. It also provides some resistance to abrasion and light chemical attack (e. g. from dirty fingers) on soft metals.[2]

Chromate conversion coatings are commonly applied to everyday items such as screws, hardware and tools. They usually impart a distinctively iridescent, greenish-yellow color to otherwise white or gray metals. The coating has a complex composition including chromium salts, and a complex structure.[2]

The process is sometimes called alodine coating, a term used specifically[2] in reference to the trademarked Alodine process of Henkel Surface Technologies.[3]
Wiki makes it sound like "3 in 1" oil. "We" (major airline Overhaul Base) had chemical tanks and procedures that were standardized to satisfy Boeing, Douglas, McDonnel-Douglas, Airbus and probably Convair. I think the protective coating was dictated by where the part would reside. The "plating department" had tanks dedicated for individual processes. Passivating, Alodine, Unbrite-Cad, Chrome (Industrial), Copper, and perhaps others. Some processes/steels required ovens to bake parts the reduce the risk of "hydrogen-embrittlement". Some parts being repaired were cleaned mechanically (blasting with various materials) or electro-chemical process (such as chrome removal).
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Wiki makes it sound like "3 in 1" oil. "We" (major airline Overhaul Base) had chemical tanks and procedures that were standardized to satisfy Boeing, Douglas, McDonnel-Douglas, Airbus and probably Convair. I think the protective coating was dictated by where the part would reside. The "plating department" had tanks dedicated for individual processes. Passivating, Alodine, Unbrite-Cad, Chrome (Industrial), Copper, and perhaps others. Some processes/steels required ovens to bake parts the reduce the risk of "hydrogen-embrittlement". Some parts being repaired were cleaned mechanically (blasting with various materials) or electro-chemical process (such as chrome removal).
My experience was also with aluminum because that's all we used for spacecraft parts (well, besides beryllium, titanium, and graphite ).
Old May 6th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
My experience was also with aluminum because that's all we used for spacecraft parts (well, besides beryllium, titanium, and graphite ).
I was fairly sure we had some overlapping areas of knowledge, for quite a while.
Old May 6th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Banned

Like Joe said. You can only anodize aluminum.
Old May 6th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Administrator

We used to use it in aircraft after burnishing wiring ground points to keep the area from corroding.
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Like Joe said. You can only anodize aluminum.
Plain anodizing looks dull on aluminum. The correct finish is to bright dip after polishing.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Plain anodizing looks dull on aluminum. The correct finish is to bright dip after polishing.
Right. But to all the masses you cannot anodized non aluminum . I am a huge anodizing guy.
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Right. But to all the masses you cannot anodized non aluminum . I am a huge anodizing guy.
Yes I understand. You zinc plate steel parts and for the ones who don't know,the silver zinc is called clear and the yellow/gold is simply yellow zinc. Then you have black oxides &, phosphates.. These are the most common coverings used on these cars. Cadmium was used on a lot of OEM parts but is hard to get done,so clear zinc is most used to duplicate cadmium.
Old May 7th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Cadmium? Isn't that that bunny that ***** chocolate Easter Egg candy?
Old May 7th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Cadmium? Isn't that that bunny that ***** chocolate Easter Egg candy?
Yep,you broke the code.
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:55 AM

Good luck with that Sharkhide. I stripped, then polished, the aluminum wheels on my Silverado. It lasted exactly 3 drives in the snow/salt. They need to be taken all the way down with 80 grit again. As a comparison, I used Duplicolor Wheel Clear on the back, and they're still good a year and a half later.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
Good luck with that Sharkhide. I stripped, then polished, the aluminum wheels on my Silverado. It lasted exactly 3 drives in the snow/salt. They need to be taken all the way down with 80 grit again. As a comparison, I used Duplicolor Wheel Clear on the back, and they're still good a year and a half later.
Well, the TTOs on my 67 Delta don't exactly get driven in snow...
Old May 7th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by fleming442
Good luck with that Sharkhide. It lasted exactly 3 drives in the snow/salt.
The first clue about potential quality problems might have been the misspelling of "peel" on the Sharkhide label.
Old May 7th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VC455
The first clue about potential quality problems might have been the misspelling of "peel" on the Sharkhide label.
And yet, no "quality problems" here. There is a fairly specific set of instructions that are supposed to be followed before application. Just sayin'...