General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

cleaning convertible tops

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2016, 05:20 AM

cleaning convertible tops

The 3 year old white top on my convertible is starting to show some age and is getting a few dingy spots. It just appears to be dirt that soap and a sponge/scrub brush aren't getting rid of.

Do any of you other 'vert owners out there know of a good product for cleaning the tops (besides elbow grease)?

Last edited by chip-powell; May 20th, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:46 AM

My Father always swore by a bar of ivory soap. The 68 442 he bought new(still Have) had the orig. top on it in bright white for well over 30 years before being replaced due to tears(age). Was it the soap?? i don't know, but it was clean.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:57 AM

I don't own a convertible; however, you might try Simple Green. It is a mild cleaning agent recommended for cleaning whitewall tires. It isn't as harsh as Bleach White.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:24 AM

I use blue magic brand convertible top cleaner. I first started using it on my jeeps soft top and when I bought the Cutlass it was an easy decision.
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/bl...e_top_cleaner/
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:35 AM

I had good results using simple green and a soft scrub brush to get into the texture on the vinyl. Work in small areas and towel off most of the gunk before rinsing to keep the cleaners off the paint. Maybe spot treat any remaining stains with peroxide or diluted bleach. Start with the mildest product that will work before moving to harsher options.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM

I've tried a bunch of different stuff including most of the above but have settled on spray Oxie- Clean when it is real dusty/dirty. Seems to pull out the junk that gets into the weave of the fabric real well. Other wise I just use water and McQuires gold car soap.The guys on another board I frequent swear by #303 top cleaner but I haven't tried it as yet, haven't needed to.... Tedd
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:54 AM

The top on our convertible is white and for the most part it is down. So, when I put it up it has dirt that has built up and I too have had this issue. I use simple green, I also will use some clorox bleaching cleaner in a spray bottle. I will spray it on a soft rag and then I can use it in the tough stops and not effect the entire top.
I had a 72 442 that was matador red, with a white vinyl top back in the late 70's and I was stationed in San Diego and the dew there had a nasty black tint to it on your car. I am sure it was pollution. about once a year I would use comet and scrub the entire top and then treat the top with a vinyl dressing. Of course that also meant I had to wax the car a few times as the comet run off and water from rinsing it would effect the wax on the car.

Some cleaners like "Scrub Free" work really good for the stubborn spots as well. I treat the top on my car with the top up and let it sit for a day like that before I put it back down. Like I said earlier it is down most of the time.

Hope this helps
Larry
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:12 AM
It's a Cutlass.

How about a black top? Is there a way to refresh the look? Mine is pretty faded, I don't really want to use armor all, that stuff seems too oily to me.
Old May 20th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the oxy clean one first. Mainly due to the laziness on my part. I spent 2 hours waxing my cutlass yesterday and don't feel like doing it again so soon. If that doesn't do it, I'll try the simple green, and so on, and so on...
Old May 20th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Get the rag you will use wet with water then ring it out and then add the cleaner you use. After that wipe the top. This will keep the run off to a minimum and get the most from the product.

There is some different black trim coatings that can make a black top look fresh.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is one called Ragtopp that I have used. They make a kit with cleaner and treatment. It is pricey. I have used the 303 that Tedd mentioned and it is very good and cost a lot less that Ragtopp. All the 303 products are good and are available from Amazon.
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:49 AM
72 Olds CS

I've used the raggtop cleaner an conditioner on a very my dad used to own. It was a dark top and worked well. It's a bill hirsch product
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:06 AM

Saddle soap is a very good cleaner and will not dry out the top plus it won't leave makes in your paint if you get some on the car like bleach products. It may take a few applications depending on how much dirt is on it but comes out nice and is very inexpensive.
Old May 21st, 2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 68442
My Father always swore by a bar of ivory soap. The 68 442 he bought new(still Have) had the orig. top on it in bright white for well over 30 years before being replaced due to tears(age). Was it the soap?? i don't know, but it was clean.
I just got my top done. The installer and the sales person from Electron top said use Ivory soap (bar or liquid).
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
It's a Cutlass.

lots of options, good thread.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:17 AM

Thanks again. Hopefully the weather will change soon and I can try some out. The ivory soap suggestion intrigues me. I might try that one before the oxy-clean.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM

Hand cleaner and an old toothbrush also is good for tough spots
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Hand cleaner and an old toothbrush also is good for tough spots
It's not a staining issue, more of a general dinginess from when the top is down.
Old September 6th, 2021, 02:03 PM
---------------

Thanks Tedd!
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
Thanks again. Hopefully the weather will change soon and I can try some out. The ivory soap suggestion intrigues me. I might try that one before the oxy-clean.
I have used Comet Cleanser and a scrub brush while continuously flushing the body. This is for vinyl tops only.
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Don't put Armour All on your top. It will wash off in the rain and make the windows cloudy. Its impossible to get off glass. Maybe if you polish it off but anyway, don't do it.