General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Chevy guys don't like the truth!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:13 AM
car guy

I never understand these debates. I am a hard core car guy. I like a whole crap load of different kinds of cars and types of builds. I am on several other boards and I never see the bickering like here and ROP when it comes to brand loyalty. Life if is too short to worry about such trivial crap. Build your car and enjoy it.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I never understand these debates. I am a hard core car guy. I like a whole crap load of different kinds of cars and types of builds. I am on several other boards and I never see the bickering like here and ROP when it comes to brand loyalty. Life if is too short to worry about such trivial crap. Build your car and enjoy it.
My thoughts exactly!

by-the-way, I've seen ROP mentioned a few times in this thread now. What site is that exactly? Google searching isn't coming up with anything useful...

Inquiring minds want to know!

-Jeff
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Real Olds Power.

And if ya wanta see how a board can get out of hand just go visit
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM

i never understand these debates. I am a hard core car guy. I like a whole crap load of different kinds of cars and types of builds. I am on several other boards and i never see the bickering like here and rop when it comes to brand loyalty. Life if is too short to worry about such trivial crap. Build your car and enjoy it.
x3
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Real Olds Power.

Ahh, Thanks. Ran across that one before, but for some reason the synapses weren't firing correctly.

I've seen things get out of hand on boards before. This one seems to be pretty much self-moderated (by actual forum users) very well in comparison to some others I've dealt with.

And I want to tip my hats to the mods here if I haven't said anything before. It's usually a thankless job with no perks, unless you enjoy settling bickering, getting flamed and constantly having to *facepalm* and shake your head.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for running a good site here. I've learned a LOT since I joined.

-Jeff
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Real Olds Power.

I have tried. They say to e-mail the moderator to activate your user name and I get nothing. Guess they are too good for an old coon ***.
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Originally Posted by garys 68
Guessing the same thing that's in the camaro, corvette. It's not cost effective to produce another line. LS3,7,9,99? Or they could have their one off version of the above like the LS7 corvette or LSA in the CTS-V.
I think a better question is what would the exterior look like? I really like the new retro mustang, camaro, charger looks. The same treatment for a 72 442 would be a great looking car.
Well thats sort of my point, You can't put in what does'nt exist. If you want to have the most current up to date technology in your Olds you have to use somthing other than an Olds engin. I personaly like my 72 442 convert the way it is and would never consider putting in a high tech motor. But thats just me. My DD is an 08 Charger and I love the retro look and the modern handeling. I wish they made a modern day 70 W30 but we all know that story
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
I have tried. They say to e-mail the moderator to activate your user name and I get nothing. Guess they are too good for an old coon ***.

I read some where that it's not moderated and It's a PITA to get on [if you wanted to]
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM

X4
I'm with you Gearhead, I'm just a car enthusiast.
I love the 442, Chevelle, C6 Corvettes, NEW Camaro, NEW Challenger, NEW Mustang GT (except for the Chinese transmission)

There's varying enthusiasts, with purists, donker's, and modders, and we have to all get along like mature adults.

Originally Posted by garys 68
Guessing the same thing that's in the camaro, corvette. It's not cost effective to produce another line. LS3,7,9,99? Or they could have their one off version of the above like the LS7 corvette or LSA in the CTS-V.
I think a better question is what would the exterior look like?
Agreed , it would.

Someone did a concept of a modern 442 on the Zeta platform of the Camaro body.
I'm not a big fan of it, but it's not totally hideous.

New442copy.jpg

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
by-the-way, I've seen ROP mentioned a few times in this thread now. What site is that exactly? Google searching isn't coming up with anything useful...
Have you been on Yellow Bullet yet ??

It's like Romper Room. Kinda the same thing.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 19th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Too camaro"ish", wondering if maybe the old GTO platform would make a better 442.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM

OK 70 442's are my favorite car, and I would gladly take a new Camaro but put the two together yikes reminds me more of an Omega.
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Tried to get on ROP a few times.

I wasn't a real Olds guy because I have an Alero and put a 350 in a Delta 88 and not a Cutlass.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:22 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If ROP is as bad as some say it will die a natural death, let it wither on the vine and pull together keeping this forum the friendly, informative, & entertaining site it is.
I was welcomed onto this forum despite my car being a Buick powered fwd unitary bodied badge engineered model. And I have found help getting parts I wanted & useful "how to"s as well.
I subscribe to other forums relevant to my car as well, some are better than others, sadly the American car forums in the UK don't match the standards set by the better US forums, particularly with technical help. I dare say British car forums in the US would be the same in reverse.
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I dare say British car forums in the US would be the same in reverse.
Oh, I don't know about that.

I have no direct experience with it, but the British car guys here are a bunch of fanatical SOBs (kinda have to be to want to drive cars with no windows and lights that don't work ), and tend to stick together pretty tightly. I suspect they were all glued to their tellys teary-eyed for the recent goings on at Westminster.

- Eric
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Banned

everybody with half a brain knows the problem with olds engines is that the head flow doesnt match the bore and stroke

all 455 motors suffer from this dilemma

after 5500 rpm a stock 455 is done because the head is done

now if a olds motor had a factory head that could flow like a factory bbc head then this conversation would not be happening

bbc actually is a punk compared to a big block ford and dodge hemi engine

there just werent as many of those produced so they dont get the attention
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:58 AM

slow dime you stole my thunder I Too was going to throw the penstar power in the race Say it with me HEMI !
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by slowdime
everybody with half a brain knows the problem with olds engines is that the head flow doesnt match the bore and stroke

all 455 motors suffer from this dilemma

after 5500 rpm a stock 455 is done because the head is done

now if a olds motor had a factory head that could flow like a factory bbc head then this conversation would not be happening
I agree. Olds were just good for torque, but had oiling issues.

Unfortunately you'll be receiving PM's from members who feel the need to tell you
that you shouldn't divulge that kind of information here on a Olds site.

Critiquing isn't allowed in their eyes.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 20th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM

The way I've always looked at it is that over time every engine was designed to do specific things. If you need something economical, go get a Camry/Civic/Omni/etc. If you want something consistent & safe at high speeds, you looks towards Germany and the VAG group. They have to build to TUV/Autobahn specs after all. If you need to haul loads and need stump pulling torque, you look for a Cat/Cummins Di.... ER. Olds Big Block!

The thing I love most about the older cars is the aesthetics. We've totally lost that in today's market. With fuel efficiency being at the forefront of the design factor for the everyday "common man" and having to take so much consideration for aerodynamics and longevity, everything pretty much looks the same anymore. Cookie cutter cars stamped out for the masses, no matter whose badge is on it.

I don't even own an Olds currently, but to me they had the best looking and some of the most durable cars I had ever owned when I was growing up. The first "Drivable" car I ever owned and tooled around in was a 1976 Cutlass Supreme. It came from the factory special ordered with a 250 inline chevy 6-cylinder, and that thing was a TANK. It would go anywhere and do anything and was damn near indestructible. If I hadn't loaned it to friends that ran her out of coolant AND oil at the same time, that engine would probably still be running today.

As far as "other forums" being a royal PITA with bad moderation, difficult to join, etc. Yes, they will die off eventually from total implosion and members seeking calmer waters and a friendly atmosphere. It's the natural course of this type of site, and most websites in general. The internet is a constantly evolving entity. You either go with the flow, or get left behind. (Think MySpace) That being said, I'm a "Car" guy. I love engines. I take things apart to see what make em tick and to see if I can make something serviceable that someone else has given up on.

Just last night I found a deal on a 1950 Elgin outboard. Sitting in a dry shed for decades, last licensed in 1974, and locked up, but it was complete and unmolested. I had never worked on one before, but I figured why not? It's something fun, and way cheaper than getting a new outboard if there's any chance of making it live again. A few hours of soaking the rings/pistons and gentle nudging with a breaker bar, and pop! It's spinning freely again! Now to clean the carb and see if it will fire up.

We all pretty much do this cause we like to tinker with things. We like to get dirty. We like to take something that someone else doesn't like/need/want anymore and make it our own and unique, and if possible, bring it back to a former glory forgotten by most of today's youth. They don't understand what people used to have to go through just to keep a daily driver on the road 20, 30, 50 years ago. When you had to deliver papers as a kid just to be able to afford a cool bicycle. Classic cars are a hobby for most. We toss our money, LOTS of it, after something we know will rarely have a decent return on our investment. Not always the case, and there is money to be made too, but for the vast majority, it's just another hobby to have fun with and enjoy.

Personal preference usually comes into play the same way politics or religion does with most people embracing what they grew up with. If Dad was a Republican/Baptist/Oldsmobile guy, then that's usually pretty good for the kids as well, and we'll defend our beliefs, because we were raised to do that, but for the most part, our generation was also taught to respect others beliefs as well. Something that also seems lost in the ever changing world we live in.

I'm here because I love old cars, Oldsmobiles in particular, but I have great appreciation for just about anything old, interesting and mechanical. These forums, and the information shared freely by the members here is an unbelievable pool of knowledge that is being captured for others to learn from, and expand their own understanding of how things work, and share what has already been learned by others to those wanting to learn more themselves, and I'm very grateful we can all get together in such a way.

Thanks to everyone here that has freely contributed their time, energy and lifetimes of experience to provide this knowledge!

-Jeff

p.s. Anyone want a slightly used soapbox? I'll make you a good deal on it, especially if you have a carb kit lying round for a 1951 5hp Elgin outboard...
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM

DenireClapping.gif

LMFAO......well spoken Jeff. The last line humored me.

Great post.
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

LMFAO......well spoken Jeff. The last line humored me.

Great post.
You talkin... to ME?

Thanks for the thumbs up. I get a little long winded at times, but it usually has a purpose and a good outcome.
I've thought about getting into politics a few times, but I'm way too honest.
-Jeff

Last edited by GTI_Guru; May 20th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Banned

olds didnt have bad oiling issues that is a urban legend

people just ran them like they were a small block and they blew up

some of the fastest Olds jet boats don't run oil restrictors

do your research BBC engines blew up too because of bearing starvation

396s were basically junk motors back in the day
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM

olds didnt have bad oiling issues that is a urban legend
people just ran them like they were a small block and they blew up
Hmm....that does make sense if the RPM red line was set at 4,500 and people went above that to see valve float.
Problem was......IIRC the Tachometer's shown 6,000 rpm as the red line....no ??

Maybe people were trying to squeeze too much RPM out of an engine that wasn't built for it. OR.....
Maybe Olds shouldn't have set the red line to 6,000 rpm if the engine couldn't achieve that RPM.

Post #9 and #10 show some better alternatives then the oil restrictors. Joe's one of them.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/olds...rs-156217.html

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 20th, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow, Jeff.

Great post. I couldn't agree more.

Thanks.

- Eric
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Banned

Hmm....that does make sense if the RPM red line was set at 4,500 and people went above that to see valve float.
Problem was......IIRC the Tachometer's shown 6,000 rpm as the red line....no ??

Maybe people were trying to squeeze too much RPM out of an engine that wasn't built for it. OR.....
Maybe Olds shouldn't have set the red line to 6,000 rpm if the engine couldn't achieve that RPM.

Post #9 and #10 show some better alternatives then the oil restrictors. Joe's one of them.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/olds...rs-156217.html

im not looking to trade facts i just use common sense

i dont get why you are even on this board

your car even has chevy stripes on it lol
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM

im not looking to trade facts
I understand now.

See, I'm a believer in order to have a legitimate discussion excluding biased conjecture facts are necessary.
I'm kinda crazy like that I guess.

i dont get why you are even on this boardl
To keep it real of course
Want me to show you where I've posted facts about Chevy's failures on a Chevy site too ??
The worst I know of is the 1978 LG-3 350ci 135 hp turd.

This was the engine that changed the discussions of all 350's being cool for me.
I have to remind people not all 350's were great, and I use this motor as the example.

All the engines Chevy made in the mid to late 70's-80's were absolute junk headed boat anchors too.
That's why my 1978 z28 got rid of it's pig ages ago. (wasn't the LG-3 but not much better)

your car even has chevy stripes on it lol
It's more fun to be unique then to be a follower is my philosophy.
But......for the sake of honesty my Uncle painted the car in NC.
I really dig it though for it's unqueness. Some dig it, others don't.
It's all gravy baby.

I'm keeping one more Oldsmobile alive with some jazz and flare.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 20th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I don’t understand the relevance of bashing other forums to the performance capabilities of GM engines.

Both CO and ROP are a wealth of information. This world is made up of different people and coincidentally so is the Internet.

Granted each site has some overlap for the Olds enthusiast. It is this person's opinion each has their niche. If you want high performance go to ROP, if you own an Aurora go to ACNA, if you own an Alero go to Aleromod.

I am not trying to plug nor put down any of these sites.

They all have a reason to be.

The ones mentioned about have been around for some time now, are all very live and active and are not going away any time soon.

I like them all for the niche they have to offer. Does that make me a bad person on CO?

Back to the bowtie - rocket bench racing.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM

LOL Can't we all just get along. I don't care what you put under the hood, there has never been an engine made I can't blow up. Just keep the Olds brand out there and rolling. I think they are the best looking cars of the 60s and early 70s, and if it takes running a Chevy, Poncho, or anything else under the hood, just keep them rolling. As far as the stripes, well I guess I am a bastard red headed step child too, because my stripes and for that matter my base color are not original to Olds. But I like them, and I am the one paying for it, and it is still running the roads.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Argueing who is better Olds or Chevy is akin to argueing someones favorite color. To each their own. Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

To keep it real of course
Want me to show you where I've posted facts about Chevy's failures on a Chevy site too ??
i get it now

you go from board to board and talk trash about different brands of motors

that is the defnition of a board troll
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

I also wonder about the point of threads like this one. Sure, friendly marque rivalry is fine, but keep it in perspective. As for the BBC being GM's "best" motor, well, the V6 in the new Camaro makes more net horsepower than just about any factory installed BBC with about half the displacement. The lowly Quad 4, at 190 HP out of 140 cu in, had one of the highest specific power numbers of any GM engine. Is either of those "better"? Who cares?

And I wish the stereotype "Olds is good for torque" would finally die, especially when used to describe an Olds 350, which has a shorter stroke and larger bore than a 350 Chevy.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Again, they have not made an engine I can't blow up
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM

It's more fun to be unique then to be a follower is my philosophy.

Says the man putting a LS based engine in his Olds, and has one in his Camaro. Unless youre the first one to do this swap, youre a follower.

Removed from another of your posts....

I'm into more of the Affliction MMA / Biker / Rocker wear type of clothing.

Yep, every tool in the bar thinks he is a MMA fighter with his Tap Out and Affliction shirt on. Unique......

Last edited by TK-65; May 20th, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Boom!

Again, they have not made an engine I can't blow up
Try a slant 6 chrysler. I've seen several people try and blow them propping them at WOT until they quit. Even overheated and locked up, once they cool down, they will spin and fire again. Won't run worth a damn and smokes like hell after that, but I've never seen one scatter & fail.

I remember watching an ALMS race a few years back and there was a porsche sitting on the edge of the track smoking like hell. Announcer said something to the effect of:

"Gee Bob, that looks like an electrical failure... From a rod through the battery! I think he's done for the day"

-Jeff
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Wink

Try a slant 6 chrysler. I've seen several people try and blow them propping them at WOT until they quit. Even overheated and locked up, once they cool down, they will spin and fire again. Won't run worth a damn and smokes like hell after that, but I've never seen one scatter & fail.

I remember watching an ALMS race a few years back and there was a porsche sitting on the edge of the track smoking like hell. Announcer said something to the effect of:

"Gee Bob, that looks like an electrical failure... From a rod through the battery! I think he's done for the day"

-Jeff
Throw a nice dose of the giggle juice on it and "Boom, out go the lights"
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Jeff, I loved your post! I also have a love for anything old, vintage, or restorable. That is what I do, and it doesn't matter if it is a car or an old doll or piece of furniture. My love of old cars stems from my love of history and art. I don't have a clue how fast one car is, or how cool it is. If I like it, I like it.

Oldsmobiles have PROVEN to me that they are a great car. I drove my kids around in a 1989 Station Wagon forever, (I do dog rescue and it was nicknamed "the sheltiemobile" by all the neighbors) until I traded it for my '54 88. We have had Olds, non-collectible ones, for our daily drivers as long as I can remember and they are just great cars that you end up feeling some sort of overt affection for....and miss them when they are gone. It helps that they were beautiful...seemingly from the beginning.

There is a wealth of knowledge here that has already helped me to a great extent. So I will ignore the car wars and enjoy this place!

Katheen
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Removed from another of your posts....

Do you really want to try and do this internet arguing thing about who is cooler??
Because I think it's as gay as a bag of dicks personally.

How about I just post MY wife , and you post yours and we can settle this real quick like
We can let the jury decide who was more successful.

I don't have time for haters. You said you'd steer clear of me since we don't agree, so don't
come into threads just to kick up arguments and throw sh** at people. It's pretty gay.
It's even more gay that you remember what clothes I wear......who does that ?? Really.....??
i get it now

you go from board to board and talk trash about different brands of motors

that is the defnition of a board troll
.....moving along now.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 20th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

-Jeff
Jeff, too funny. I bought a 72 Dart GT with a blown 225 in it last year from the original owner for $600. Guess what killed it? Too much oil. The original owner loaned it to his daughter and told her to check the oil because it leaked. She took it as add 4 quarts at the next fill up. Punched a hole right through the block behing the starter motor. They can be killed, but you have to be really dumb.
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Throw a nice dose of the giggle juice on it and "Boom, out go the lights"

Now I'm curious... Have you actually gone to the trouble of hooking NOS up to a slant-6? I know theoretically that yes, that will scatter anything over time or given enough juice.

Which brings me to one of my all time favorite quotes:

"There is no problem which cannot be solved by sheer ignorance and a large ammount of high explosives"

At least one member here has that paraphrased in his signature. Always makes me smile.

(And no, I'm not attempting to call you ignorant at all. That's just the way I've always phrased it. No offence intended.)

And thanks Kathleen! Sounds like you and I probably have similar brain chemistry. At least I realize it enough to try and avoid being a "hoarder" I'm actually in the processs of trying to clean out the house and garage and purge things this spring/summer. As I drag home unworking boat motors and the like...

-Jeff
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Do you really want to try and do this internet arguing thing about who is cooler??
Because I think it's as gay as a bag of dicks personally.

How about I just post MY wife , and you post yours and we can settle this real quick like
We can let the jury decide who was more successful.

I don't have time for haters. You said you'd steer clear of me since we don't agree, so don't
come into threads just to kick up arguments and throw sh** at people. It's pretty gay.

.....moving along now.

Since the sunny is shining, the rain around here has stopped for a minute and the world is ending tomorrow I figured I must reply or regret it for eternity.

How mad were you to find out your buddy was as unique as you at Disney World??

Epcot2006.jpg
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
How mad were you to find out your buddy was as unique as you at Disney World??
Wow......now you want to stalk my Photobucket ??
All class....real winner you are. LMAO

FYI Jacko, that's my brother. Feel stupid now ??
ThreadSucksLOL.gif

EWWWWW I found another you can use!!!!! LOOK!!!!! LMAO

IronMaiden2006DrunkteamMedium.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 20th, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevy guys don't like the truth!