General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Check accident history and more

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2023, 12:42 PM

Check accident history and more

Hi guys.

I am checking an oldmobile to buy it.
The car left the US about 4 or 5 years ago.
I would like you to recommend me a website to check vehicle information in the US. It is an olds from the year 1971.
Unfortunately I have accessed Carfax but it does not locate the history, I understand that it is because it will be older than 1980.
Thank you.

Regards
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:18 PM
Administrator

None of the carfax type vin searches will work on these old cars, not enough characters in the Vin#. There is no real way to get any accident history for these cars outside of perhaps an insurance company search.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
None of the carfax type vin searches will work on these old cars, not enough characters in the Vin#. There is no real way to get any accident history for these cars outside of perhaps an insurance company search.
Hi sir.
I understand then that it is practically impossible to know the history of the car in the US, right?
Thanks.

Regards
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by keyboard
Hi sir.
I understand then that it is practically impossible to know the history of the car in the US, right?
Thanks.

Regards
You understand correctly. What does it matter on a well restored car, even a salvage title has little impact on price for the rarer varieties. I would however make sure it was not a flood reclamation vehicle though.

Last edited by oldcutlass; May 23rd, 2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 05:42 PM

Try Classic Decoder, https://classicdecoder.com , they claim to be able to provide historical data on vintage cars, salvage info, accident info etc... They have a sample report on the website you can look at. I have never used them myself but it might have the info you need.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 10:48 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Close inspection with a trained eye will catch incorrectly repaired collision damage. It's usually quite obvious if you know what to look for.
If previous damage is undetectable with a trained eye then it was repaired properly or never damaged.
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by vintagepne
Try Classic Decoder, https://classicdecoder.com , they claim to be able to provide historical data on vintage cars, salvage info, accident info etc... They have a sample report on the website you can look at. I have never used them myself but it might have the info you need.
I just tried it but it leaves a lot to be desired. According to what he says he was registered in California in 2015 but nothing else.
On the web it indicates that they indicate the owners that it has had and others but none of that, it is only limited to decoding the VIN.