General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Changing the subject within threads

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM

My favorite rifle is my 6mm ruger, but of course I have my old marlin 30/30
for a shotgun I still always grab my old jc higgins 16 gauge single shot the first gun I got and still one of my favs.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM

6mm is great gun flat shooting,long range =great deer gun
16 gauge are you finding it hard to find ammo i just sold my winchester 4 10 becouse of ammo issues 15 dollers a box for dove loads
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Thats what I like about the 6mm get anything within 200 yds and its a goner( must be all that Lee Harvey Oswald trainin' I got on Parris Island) never really had any trouble getting 16 gauge around here that same shoutgun has a 22 hornet barrel that that you can use with it they are a little tough to find so I reload them.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Pics of the 1873

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The fact that most [if not all] of these trapdoors encountered service makes an origional unaltered rife rare. Most were re sighted, overhauled and refinished at government arsenals with various new interchangeable parts such as sights, triggers, hammers etc.

Later as the new "smokless powder" became avaliable for the "new" Springfield Krag rifles, many trap doors went to Guard units etc.

As a side note; Trap door Springfields #311218,322,599,322,634, 472,841,472,927,472,941 were sunk 1898 on the U.S.S. Maine in Havana Harbor and were recovered and sold for $25.00 in a catalog.

If ya got one PM me

Later still, some were government reworked, had their barrels sawed off, filled with lead and equipted with a leather cover bayonet. These were used to train troups for WWI in bayonet practice.

But you definitely have one of the last black powder US arms made at the Springfiled Arsenal.

More than you ever wanted to know Huh?
I love it.
Thanks for the help!
Can you tell anything from this pic?
We shot about 10 rounds through it when I was hunting in SD. The shells were very old and we had a few duds but it worked great.

Last edited by MN71W30; December 18th, 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

Man You guys are lucky. I never had the chance to "hunt game" I would love to do it.

I do not own a gun due to the lack of close "hunting grounds" and the lack of friends who hunt.

All I have/want to hunt around here are the thieves that might steal and break into my cars and home. Unfortunately, I think it is illegal here.

Although I do have a unbuilt AK-47 kit my buddy gave me in trade for a car part but it lacks a "receiver" (I think) to complete the kit. I have had it for about 2 years.. BTW: He told me it was legal t own and build. IS IT?
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I love it.
Thanks for the help!
Can you tell anything from this pic?
We shot about 10 rounds through it when I was hunting in SD. The shells were very old and we had a few duds but it worked great.
Warning Warning Warning

These guns were designed to use black powder 45-70 shell. Never use a smokeless powder shell that isn't specifically designed for a trap door. The breech is not nearly as strong as a modern bolt action and can blow up. But they still make smokeless powder shells for trap doors, just be sure you know what you're buying.

Your pic shows one version of the Buffington rear sight found on later guns 1884ish.

The lower barrel band should have a groove in it to accomidate the top of the Buffington sight and the letter "U" to to insure correct placement of this grooved barrel band.

The hammer has a small lip on the underside of the head,which was authorized in Jan 1880

Your trapdoor has a low arc trapdoor which also indicates a later model that the origional 1873.

Look right at the top of the trap door where the hindge is and see if there isn't another date

US
Model
XXXX
[I am betting 1884]

Also look and see what type of ram rod you have. There are several varieties including 2 types with ram rod Bayonet that slides out and locks.

If it isn't a ramrod bayonet there are bascially 2 kinds of ramrods. The earlier has a serrated head with a slot [1873-1882] the other [later] has a smooth tulip shaped head

You have a very nice example with nice patina and some of the case hardening still visible. Don't EVER refinish a gun like this or clean off the attic patina on the metal it will kill the value.

Had enough? or would you like me to continue the trap door tome about Carbines, cadet models,Officers models, experiment versions, and the Shotgun [used to hunt game for the camp].

Then of course there is the rare Metcalfe Device. An opened wooden box that clipped on near the lock plate and held 8 shells used for quick loading.

So what if 'Grandpa "embelished the story a bit" I have a cousin who has one that swears his great Grand father used it in the War between the States. [1873-NOT]

However they were used often in movies about "The Recent Unpleasantness" and some can be found mark "Fox" [for the studio]

I need to get a life.

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 19th, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM

It says US model 1873 by the trap door and I took a pic of the end of the gun. Thanks for the tip about shooting the ammo. First I shot it just incase it blew up, then I let my 2 sons and a couple other guys shoot it. I will heed the warning about the ammo and probably never shoot it again. My G-Grandfather was a railroad engineer in SD and probably picked it up somewhere close to the battlefield.
I had to buy it from the estate for $500 but figured with the sentimental value it was well worth that.
Do you know Oldsmobiles like you know guns? Thanks for the Great history lessons.
And to everyone out there, Have a great Christmas,
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Do you know Oldsmobiles like you know guns?
Not hardly, I wish I did.

But I have more Springfields than Olds

FYI various types of trapdoor rifles and carbines are on rows 4,5,6 L to R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0334.jpg (83.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 19th, 2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: messed up rows #
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM
69CuttyS

Now, that's a lot of weaponry.
No handguns?
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
No handguns?
Are you trying to change the subject in the "Changing the subject within threads " thread?

I can only orate and pontificate on one subject at a time.

It's like walking and chewing gum.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Dang Jamesbo you can start your own militia! Am jealous of your cars now of your guns too
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 74omega
Man You guys are lucky. I never had the chance to "hunt game" I would love to do it.

I do not own a gun due to the lack of close "hunting grounds" and the lack of friends who hunt.

All I have/want to hunt around here are the thieves that might steal and break into my cars and home. Unfortunately, I think it is illegal here.

Although I do have a unbuilt AK-47 kit my buddy gave me in trade for a car part but it lacks a "receiver" (I think) to complete the kit. I have had it for about 2 years.. BTW: He told me it was legal t own and build. IS IT?
Its definitely a lot of fun to hunt with buddies.I still got some good friends in northern california, who I got started hunting back in the day look around maybe there's a hunting club in your area that is not ridiculous in price
or you could get started by shooting sporting clays. shooting clays doesn't cost any more than a round of golf and you can gain same great shooting experience I shoot clays about 6 or 7 times a summer just to keep in the swing of things
You could also pickup a cheap bow and go out and shoot carp or bullfrogs in the levees/deltas now that is a blast. I think its PSE that makes a bow that comes completely set up for fishing for around 150$ its called the kingfisher so get out there and kill something
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Jamebos,

Gee willicers where did you learn them big words like "pontificate" must be college edgabucated
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM

" If ya can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle them with B.S."
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 69convertible
My wifes being bugging me to put up the Xmas Lights ... so I Did
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This has been happening quite often lately. Please start a new thread if you change the subject. There are now many threads that have interesting and valuable information, but are difficult to find because it is not where it "should" be......
The other thing I noticed after reading through this one is not just how many times it changes subjects, but how many of them aren't really related to Oldsmobile. My turn.....

Anyone thought about pm off topic stuff, or just a phone call or meet and yak. I know that sometimes it's not possible. How about sharing your email addresses?

To those who keep on topic with the threads, thank you A LOT! It makes things easy to find and provides good information.

Hmmm, maybe I missed the point of this thread... is it supposed to be the one where anyone can put whatever they want on it? Anyway that's my 2 cents worth....nope!... got something else to say that could offend a LOT of people living in North America.....But I COULD CARE LESS.....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL! Note how I'm not in the least concerned about whether this offends anyone whose ethnic background doesn't include Christ in Christmas or whether this is considered "culturally correct" in North America anymore? God Bless you all in 2009! (Same rant as before). Bring the troops home SAFE and ALIVE. It's tough on everyone with friends or family in the Services, no matter which Country you live in!
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM

Merry Christmas to you too.

Originally Posted by Allan R
The other thing I noticed after reading through this one is not just how many times it changes subjects, but how many of them aren't really related to Oldsmobile. My turn.....

Anyone thought about pm off topic stuff, or just a phone call or meet and yak. I know that sometimes it's not possible. How about sharing your email addresses?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL! Note how I'm not in the least concerned about whether this offends anyone whose ethnic background doesn't include Christ in Christmas or whether this is considered "culturally correct" in North America anymore? God Bless you all in 2009! (Same rant as before). Bring the troops home SAFE and ALIVE. It's tough on everyone with friends or family in the Services, no matter which Country you live in!
I'm not offended, in fact, Merry Christmas to you too.

Just like sitting at a coffee shop with a few guys, the conversation can move to different topics and sooner or later you find one that interests you, or one that you help out a friend with, private Pm's wouldn't allow that. I have been talking about Oldsmobiles and riding around in them for over 40 years. I would bet that several of these guys could write a book on Oldsmobiles. I think a little off subject conversation is fun.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
69CuttyS

How about those Bears? Stayin' in the race, eh?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
How about those Bears? Stayin' in the race, eh?
BOOOOOO!
They've done nothing but give me mild strokes and heart attacks since I've been able to watch them. I finally gave up on them completely 1 year before they went to the superbowl and BLEW IT.

All of my told-ya-so's felt GREAT. Sonsofb1tches. I was 3yrs old in 85' so I couldn't enjoy that victory.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM

that means you missed out on one of the best music videos ever "the super bowl shuffle" the fridge missed his calling he should have been a singer
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:53 AM

The shuffle LOL

I remember that, Has it been that long? If anyone has the right to whine about a football team it would be someone from Minnesota! Remember the 3 superbowl losses? How about the famous missed field goal attempt by the guy who never missed back in 98? I got to meet alot of the players in 75 and most were great guys. I do remember Fran Tarkington scrambling and running awy from us kids who wanted his autograph. But we cornered him.
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Don't Laugh

Coldest I've ever been.38 degrres misty and windy and I wasn't dressed the part.

Jan 12 1975 New Orleans Super Bowl lX. was held in Tulane stadium [because the Dome wasn'y finished yet] 38 degrees and misting, Steelers vs, Vikings. I sat on the next to the top row in that iron stadium and the people behind me [blocking the wind] were from Minnesota. When they left, I said "See Ya" and went down to the ABC tent had a few bloody Mary's and chili dogs and watched it on TV

And yes, I seen the Packers at home and it still wasn't as cold as the "Big Easy" that day.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
69CuttyS

... If anyone has the right to whine about a football team it would be someone from Minnesota! ...
One word: BILLS.
I'm glad I'm not a fan- those 4 losses in a row (last 2 to my Cowboys ).
Four good years of regular season football tho!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM

Making a buck

Get them started young working
Attached Images
brazilian.jpg (46.2 KB, 12 views)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM

I was considering purchasing a Brazilian Taurus Judge for home defense. It is a 5 chamber revolver that can load .45 or .410 shotgun shells. Are these decent weapons? The most shooting I've ever done is with an M16 when I was in the Army.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu....cfm?series=41
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:33 AM

Home defense

I always recommend the same thing for home defense. Especially for people who don't regularly practice their shooting skills.

Cheap

Intimidating

No need to be an expert shot

Mama can easily use it. [pistols are awkward to ladies IMHO]

The good ole 12 gauge pump shotgun
Winchester, Remmington, Mosberg, Ithica and others are all good

If I heard a pump shotgun being chambered, I would sure as hell think twice.The sound alone is very intimidating.

Most will hold 5 shells if not plugged for hunting. Load first with one or two OO buck shot, shells next with #2's, then #4's

Since the way you load is the reverse of the way the shells are fired. You stand a good chance of not killing someone until the last shots[s]
Unless of course they are too close and then you probably should.
Attached Images
DSCN0335.jpg (87.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Jamesbo; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM

I agree with the shotgun. I carry one of my pumps with me when I travel in the motorhome unlike a pistol the shotgun is legal in all 50 states. Aming is not an issue, just point in the general direction and pull the trigger
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM

said more better than me

Citicapp

Here's an article written by someone who agrees with us who knows how to splain things more better than me [or is it I?]

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...21260393.shtml
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Past Administrator

I agree with all of that except the "warning shot". Load the chamber and wait, if the enter the bedroom they get a face full of lead.

edit: my kids are grown.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I agree with all of that except the "warning shot". Load the chamber and wait, if the enter the bedroom they get a face full of lead.

edit: my kids are grown.

I agree why mess up your ceiling and have to refinish sheet rock.

For those with youngsters, I would suggest, hang your pump loaded with 4 shells in the magazine tube but not one in the chamber with the safety ON. A good place to conceal it out of sight,is inside your bedroom closet, above the door. An adult can easily reach in and up but since most interior doors are 6'8" it should be out of reach without for a child without a step ladder.

Even if it fell into the wrong hands, the child would have to find the release latch that allows it to pump in a round and turn off the safety. This would give some additional margin of caution. Where as with a revolver ever kid from 6 on knows how to pull a trigger.

In the event of an intruder, open closet door, reach up, grab pump shotgun,while holding release latch give it one pump [now you're loaded and hopefully scared off intruder] if not, safety clicked off and you are ready to fully dissuade he/she/them/it.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM

This is what I've learned from this thread.....

offtopicfreeway-1.gif
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM

How can we be off topic on a thread about nothing.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
69CuttyS

Off topic

I've actually leaned something on this thread.
I think a shotgun is all I'll ever need...
...gun-wise, that is...
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM

This is a good thread as it allows us to just chat about anything and keep the other thread on task.
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM

How could you go wrong guns,cars and BBQ what else matters
oh yeah Betty Page
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM

I have also considered a 12 gauge shot gun since they are cheap and dependable. The only thing that would dissuade me from purchasing one is that my wife is a small lady and I doubt she would be able to use a 12 gauge shot gun to defend herself and our baby if someone were to enter the house when I was travelling with my company (which isn't too often).

Of course, since I have been speaking with my wife about purchasing a weapon I have found that she probably wouldn't use one in the first place (of course who knows how one would act in an emergency). The thing about owning a weapon is that you hope you never have to use it, but if the need arises when you need one and you don't have one then you are up a creek without a paddle. I think I have been considering purchasing a weapon recently because my wife and I have a baby on the way...

Last edited by Olds64; January 7th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I've been thinking about using a hood tach on my 'glass '70 442 OAI hood ...
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:30 AM

bad rap

IMHO shotguns get a bad rap for kicking.

It all depends on the load. lighter load=lighter recoil

Olds 64, even if you wife is petite, that's the way I'd go. You sure don't want her waving around a pislol that could possibly go through a wall and harm the wrong person[s]

Although I have never met her, I'd bet a dollar to a dounut, if someone tries to harm her kid. She'd get 'em even if it was with a butcher kinife.

At the risk of being somewhat redundant, the first warning of a pump being load should scare off all but the drug crazed.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM

You might also look into a gas operated auto loader that would also reduce recoil. the gas is used to chamber a new round instead of just leaving end of barrel.
The sound of a round entering the chamber is also there when you pull back the receiver and release.

A 20 gauge or 410 is also another option
410 would shoot a 45 cal slug BIG HOLE not a lot of penetration but the ammo is a little on the high side.

no matter what you decide just remember that a 22cal looks like a howitzer when your looking down the wrong end of the barrel

Last edited by daves62; January 8th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM

My wife weighs 120 lbs and can handle the 12 guage pump just fine.

Quick Reply: Changing the subject within threads