General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ceramic coating on headers?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Ceramic coating on headers?

Did a quick search but didn't see anything definitive on ceramic coating.

Aside from the regularly heard benefits such as:
- Keeps heat in the header and forces exhaust out faster
- Keeps the corrosive gases from eating the headers (which I don't buy if the inside is not coated)
-Keeps headers looking better longer.

Does anyone have experience with this? I need to replace the factory exhaust manifolds on a 2006 2500HD LT Silverado with a stock 6.0 and stock exhaust. Exhaust still looks great so I'm looking for a direct replacement part. It's a work/ daily driver truck so I'm not all that concerned about aesthetics. Does it pay to spend the extra cash on them or just go budget? I'd like to hold on to the truck for a while but at 140,000 miles and the abuse I put it through I might only get a few more years out of it.

My real question is are the top two benefits worth the extra money? I can get a set of Hedman's for about $290 or Ceramic coated Gibsons for $620, big difference.

Funds are extremely tight with 3 young kids, insane Long Island taxes and an insatiable reborn crack habit called "Oldsmobile".
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Don't bother with ceramic coated headers on your daily driver. In fact, have you considered removing the damaged manifold and having it repaired? This would probably be the cheapest route. You might also be able to get a Dorman part if the exhaust manifold is a high failure item on the Chevy 6.0L.

I put ceramic coated headers on my 71 98. They're Hedman Hedders. They've been pretty durable over the past 8+ years, but of course it's a fun car and not a daily driver.
Old March 9th, 2018, 12:18 PM

The issue is the original manifolds expand and contract and break the bolts off the heads. The bolts, I'm guessing, are some kind of iron and the heads are aluminum. Absolute, nightmare. I've gotten 2 out and coated them with anti-seize but several have broken off already. I don't want to deal with that issue again and I don't mind the little bit of extra HP gain so I'm going to get a set of headers. They make them to bolt right up to the existing exhaust. Thanks for your reply, I think I'll just order the $290 Hedman's.
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:12 PM

If you are on a budget check these out. I bought a set of their LS swap headers and they are good quality with nice welds and being stainless you wont have to worry about future rusting.

www.speed-engineering.com/shop-by-vehicle/1999-13-lsx-trucks/exhaust/headers/speed-engineering-shorty-headers-truck-suv-6-0l-1999-2006-egr.html
Old April 20th, 2018, 06:46 PM

ach1992880 I ordered those headers, nice product. Was a job getting one out. Tomorrow I tackle the other one. Thanks for the heads up.

Old April 20th, 2018, 08:01 PM

Really glad they worked out for you. I know i was happily surprised at the quality to cost ratio on the ones i had. Good job to be done with, though. Exhaust is the worst.
Old April 21st, 2018, 08:53 AM

Wow, nice price.
Old April 21st, 2018, 07:34 PM

Left side completed.

a lot going on on this side.

Left side is in perfect fit.

The sound of the truck didn't change and out of the whole no difference but mid range acceleration seams much smoother. Overall I'm very satisfied with this product and would recommend it to anyone else who has the same issues with the stock exhaust manifolds. Wasn't easy getting the broken studs out. Having a MIG welder and air tools made it much easier. I have to admit listening to everyone out there I was a little intimidated with this job. I know it's not a skill level for the beginner but I've come to the conclusion anyone that plays up there talk on this being anything but successful has never done this before or doesn't have the right equipment to accomplish this task.

I added the last photos so everyone can see the quality for themselves.

Thanks again for the link.
Old April 21st, 2018, 09:03 PM

Good work. Cheers!