General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cashier's check no longer safe to use when selling

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Cashier's check no longer safe to use when selling

Guy sold 69 Camaro and got scammed with fake cashier's check.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/fake-cas...043939224.html
Old December 6th, 2019, 08:14 AM

Definitely a bummer. They probably chopped the car for parts.

I would have been good with a cashier's check if the bank accepted it. If it wasn't immediately rejected as fraudulent I would have expected the bank to make it right. To tell you the truth, I don't even know how to check $100 bills to see if their counterfeit (other than obvious fakes).
Old December 6th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If he had the car insured then it will be a theft and covered. I had a friend years ago the sold a Bronco and received a fake cashiers check. He turned it in to his insurance company and they paid him. They found it a few years later almost untouched. The insurance company asked him if he wanted it back and he said they could keep it since he bought another one.
Old December 6th, 2019, 10:19 AM

That's a serious chunk of change. I would want the check to clear first. I always insist on seeing a driver's license also. That's not the way to sell any car, maybe a few hundred dollar part but then cash only.
Old December 6th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Always room for one more

I've heard where the fake cashier's check is so good, the bank clears it and it isn't found out until much later that it's fake, leaving the person who cashed it holding the bag. I like to buy big ticket things(like cars) with a cashier's check, so I don't have to haul around a bunch of cash. But I always ask if it's okay and give them the name and phone number of the bank and tell them to call and verify that it's good. In fact, once I gave the guy the name and told him he could look the number up himself.

Old December 6th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I always or have my bank call the bank that issued the check to make sure funds are available to cash the check.
Old December 6th, 2019, 02:44 PM

It's best to go with them to their bank when they get it. That way you know for certain it's legit.
Old December 6th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
It's best to go with them to their bank when they get it. That way you know for certain it's legit.
THIS - Fake checks are so common (even with holograms) and the bank is NOT responsible if you bring them a fake check and they deposit it, even one of their own !

10 years ago I did a out of state bank to bank money transfer ( per-arranged) to by a $30,000 motorcycle - I called my bank and they sent it - 1 hour later he called his bank and they confirmed it arrived. simple & free
Old December 6th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Running On Empty

I've sold several big ticket items (North of $50K & $75K) via Wire Transfer - works like a charm, no checks, no cash and guaranteed by both banks.
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Swap V.I.N. tag and ship overseas?
Swap V.I.N. and new paint and sell?
Id be shocked if it was parted out but who knows what people do?
Sucks
Old December 7th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Gearhead

x2 on the wire transfer. That’s the only way to go.
Old December 7th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
THIS - Fake checks are so common (even with holograms) and the bank is NOT responsible if you bring them a fake check and they deposit it, even one of their own !
That's bogus!

I guess I need to call my bank for clarification when I sell my Olds. I know I want to meet potential buyers at the police station. I also want to complete the transaction at my bank because they have a free notary service and OK car titles need to be notarized when transferred.
Old December 7th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Gearhead

I had a neighbor who worked in security for a bank. He said any kind of payment - cash (can be counterfeited), checks (can be made on a home printer), cashiers checks (can be forged), debit and credit cards (can be made with stolen PINs) - are susceptible to being compromised. The only secure way of sending money is by wire transfer, bank to bank.
Old December 7th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

That’s correct (Post #9)
Old December 7th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Olds Fever

I use bank to bank money transfers for high dollar items and USPS Money Orders for most other sales... US Postal Money Orders can be verified right at the post office... Cash the money order, then ship the item...
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Car Nerd

OP, thanks for starting this thread. It is a timely one for me. I'm currently trying to sell my father's 1954 Ford Crestline Convertible and I had a prospective buyer try to get the car with the old song and dance "I'm out of town and cannot inspect the car, but am willing to buy it if you promise it is as advertised, accept a cashiers check and I'll arrange shipping". It is sad that there are so few ways to legitimately collect a large sum of money. I'm hesitant to give routing and account number information for my mother to a stranger too (in the case of a wire).
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:43 AM

I put up (2) classic vehicles for sale this year. In my description I added..."My bank doesn't particularly like cashiers checks and neither do I. Cash or Wire Transfer only"
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

OldSoldier that is a total scam. Don't even respond to that guy. Since you are close to Lewisville, you might want to think about taking the car to Garrett Classics. Dave and Maris are really good folks and sold 6 cars for me. Here is their website.

https://www.garrettclassics.com/
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by KW5413
Cash or Wire Transfer only"
Please forgive my ignorance but why is a wire transfer anymore secure than a cashier's check? I suppose if you and the new owner go to your bank and have the wire transfer done the funds clear immediately?
Old December 10th, 2019, 07:34 AM

We don't know we don't know. The link in post # 1 is a great example of why a Cashier's Check isn't a good route.

To clarify, I would only do bank to bank $$$ transfers. It is like depositing cash but, via electronic transfer. For the most part, won't bounce. I am sure the bad guys have, or will, find a way to breach that as well but it is the safest way to do it now. Even cash is susceptible to counterfeit. So, it is good to meet even the cash buyer at the bank and run it through them.

FYI: My bank, Bank Of America, holds Cashier's Check for a number of days. When I changed my business banking to them my old bank issued a cashiers check when I closed it out. BOA held it's availability for 10 days. If banks don't trust those checks legitimacy I sure ain't. When I receive direct deposits from my customers it is available the next business day..

Last edited by KW5413; December 10th, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old December 10th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Olds64
Please forgive my ignorance but why is a wire transfer anymore secure than a cashier's check? I suppose if you and the new owner go to your bank and have the wire transfer done the funds clear immediately?
A cashiers check can be counterfeit and a wire transfer is like a cash deposit in that it is money in the bank. A wire transfer cannot be counterfeit.
Old December 11th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Car Nerd

Originally Posted by redoldsman
OldSoldier that is a total scam. Don't even respond to that guy. Since you are close to Lewisville, you might want to think about taking the car to Garrett Classics. Dave and Maris are really good folks and sold 6 cars for me. Here is their website.

https://www.garrettclassics.com/
Thanks for the tip. The vehicle is currently at my mother's house in Michigan, but our game plan is that if it does not sell by spring time, we'd bring it to TX and I can try to sell it here. I'll definitely go visit them if that occurs. I appreciate it.

As far as it being a scam, I thought it was likely too. The guy texted me and I ran a background check on the landline number he texted me from (?) but the registrar for that number checked out as the guy's actual name. I told him we could discuss over the phone and he said he was going to call me, and perhaps he did, but it was a California number. I tried calling back but only left a message and never heard back. Perhaps scam, perhaps he moved on due to a pain-in-the-neck seller, but eventually we'll sell it.

Last edited by OldSoldier; December 11th, 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old December 11th, 2019, 06:13 AM

CIFNFA

Cash in fist no fooling around
Old December 11th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Now that right thar is funny...
Old December 11th, 2019, 02:03 PM

fake cashier checks have been a scam since the 80s...

theres a well know guy that was traveling across the country buying big ticket cars and paying with fake cashier checks...he was printing them in his hotel room..
Old December 12th, 2019, 08:07 AM

remember one thing. a good cashiers check payment can be stopped. a friend of mine got a cashiers check from his bank and misplaced it. called his bank and they stopped payment immediately. wire transfer or postal money order best. thieves don't usually mess with feds
Old December 12th, 2019, 02:14 PM

If any bad check crosses state lines I believe can become a Fed issue.
Old December 12th, 2019, 03:40 PM

My Thoughts

Most ANY bank accepting a check of any kind +-, will assume, if the check is BAD, that possibly both the giver AND receiver may have been in cahoots together of some sort +- So They Usually Have No Sympathies for Both Parties Involved in a Bad Check - Just Makes Business Sense so to protect themselves. Not a good policy for us consumers but know that before you accept any check.

My Guess - The Bank would rather you take litigation against the Bad Check issuer than the bank be out the cash and the bank on the chase legally ($) as well.
Old December 13th, 2019, 04:50 AM

Does anybody know if insurance covers this kind of scam? In the case of the 69 Camaro stolen with a fake cashier's check hopefully the owner was covered by insurance even though it would have been dropped shortly after the transaction.
Old December 13th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Olds64
Does anybody know if insurance covers this kind of scam? In the case of the 69 Camaro stolen with a fake cashier's check hopefully the owner was covered by insurance even though it would have been dropped shortly after the transaction.
See post #3.

Last edited by Olds64; December 13th, 2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old December 13th, 2019, 06:10 AM

Fuc#ing Scammers !
Old December 13th, 2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
See post #3.
DOH! Right you are.
Old December 13th, 2019, 07:32 PM

Cash its that simple. That’s what I pay with and that’s what I take when selling any car of mine for the past 42 years. When someone offers something else I just laugh at them and say we’re done here,
Old December 14th, 2019, 04:54 AM

It's not really that simple. The car could be a fake, and we are also talking big money. You cool with carrying $75k in cash?

I had a dude trying to sell a 72 HO. He wanted 80 for a 35 car, and he wanted it in cash, I finally figured out, because he thought he would be taxed on the money.
Old December 14th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Plus counterfeit money can be hard to spot
And being robbed of Cash after the transaction can come into play
Old December 17th, 2019, 07:58 AM

12/17/19
Somewhat related (Up to 10 years in jail)

Man gets break after passing bogus checks

BY DAVE ROGERS drogers@newburyportnews.com

NEWBURYPORT MA – Homeless, unemployed and addicted to drugs, Roxbury resident Shawn Pacheco was approached in mid-2018 by men from a crime ring looking for people to cash bogus checks for a small cut of the proceeds.

Desperate, Pacheco agreed to the scheme and cashed bad checks at four banks scattered across the state, including the Newburyport Five Cents Savings Bank branch in Salisbury, according to his attorney, Steve Goldwyn.

When Pacheco was charged by Salisbury police in October 2018 with larceny by check over $1,200, uttering a false check and forgery of a check, he faced up to 10 years in state prison.

But Monday in Newburyport District Court, the 49-year-old man saw all charges continued without a finding for two years. If Pacheco stays out of trouble and abides by all conditions imposed by Judge Peter Doyle, the charges against him would be dropped after that time.

The conditions include paying back $3,657 to Five Cents Savings Bank, staying away from all branches of the Newburyport based bank, remaining drug and

The conditions include paying back $3,657 to Five Cents Savings Bank, staying away from all branches of the Newburyport based bank, remaining drug and alcohol free with random screens, and attending three AA meetings per week.

Essex County prosecutor Michelle Rowland had pushed for a guilty finding on the charges, hoping to send a message to Pacheco and others.

“It wasn’t a question, he knew” it was illegal, Rowland said, adding that Pacheco had agreed to take part in an organized crime scheme.

Pacheco’s attorney did not argue that fact. Instead, he said his client was desperate and needed the quick cash, $300 per check, to make it through the next few days. Those who approached him knew it, too, and preyed upon him.

“A cornered animal, so to speak,” Goldwyn said.

The attorney told Doyle that Pacheco was ready to reimburse the bank that day and was hoping to avoid a guilty verdict to make it easier to find a job.

“He has really changed his life around,” Goldwyn said.

Doyle agreed to spare Pacheco a guilty finding and, instead, sentenced him to what amounts to two years of supervised probation.

A police report says Pacheco was one of two men who cashed bad checks on a bank account belonging to a then-Newburyport-based construction company for a total of $7,402.

A security officer for the bank showed video footage and photographs of Pacheco and a Quincy man passing the bad checks. The bank official was able to identify both men based on the identification cards they showed the tellers.

With that evidence, Salisbury police Detective Keith Forget charged Pacheco and issued a warrant for his arrest. It was through the arrest of a third man that Forget learned Pacheco and others were offered $300 for each bogus check they cashed.

A check of Pacheco’s record showed 11 offenses, including assault and battery, drug possession, receiving stolen property and witness intimidation, according to Forget’s police report.

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; December 17th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 17th, 2019, 08:14 AM

Another Sleaze Ball
Same paper as above and the same day as well (not related to a bad check / just a bad person +-)

Nonpayment of restitution lands Georgetown man back in court

BY DAVE ROGERS drogers@newburyportnews.com

(In January 2014, the woman gave Leyendecker a $7,000 deposit to restore her 1971 Chevy Impala to its original look and then towed it to T-Bone Customs on Boxford Street in Rowley, where the work was to be done.) -- who told her the original 400-cubic-inch engine, transmission and hood were missing. He eventually told officers that he checked on what was left of the car at T-Bone Customs and discovered it was missing.

ROWLEY – A Georgetown man who admitted he stole the engine from a 1970s era muscle car in 2014 was ordered in February to pay the car’s owner $10,000 as part of a plea deal that saw him spend 36 days in jail.

But 10 months later and with only a fraction of the money paid back, the man, Terry A. Leyendecker, was back in Newburyport District Court on Monday asking a judge to revise his plea deal.

In February, Leyendecker pleaded guilty to stealing motor vehicle parts and larceny over $250 from a person over 60 or a disabled person. He was sentenced to a year in jail and ordered to pay the victim $10,000 in restitution.

As part of his plea deal, all but 36 days in jail, which he had served before his court appearance, were suspended for three years while on probation. During that time, he must pay a minimum of $800 a month to his victim and stay away from her.

Through his attorney, Leyendecker explained that he was having financial difficulties and, despite picking up a second job, was finding it impossible to pay $800 each month. Leyendecker then told Judge Peter Doyle he could pay $500 each month.

That did not sit well with the victim, who came into the courtroom in a wheelchair with the help of another person. The victim told Doyle that she wanted him to adhere to the deal she agreed to in February.

Doyle said he empathized with her but based on a new state law that regulates restitution laws, there was little he could do.

“Five hundred (dollars) is better than nothing,” Doyle said, adding that Leyendecker wasn’t getting out of repaying her. Instead, Doyle made it clear to Leyendecker and the victim that if he doesn’t pay her back, he would be sent back to jail.

In January 2014, the woman gave Leyendecker a $7,000 deposit to restore her 1971 Chevy Impala to its original look and then towed it to T-Bone Customs on Boxford Street in Rowley, where the work was to be done.

But the woman later found out the car was towed to Leyendecker’s Georgetown home and she could see it from the street.

Attempts by the woman to reach Leyendecker about the move and the status of the project went for naught.

She did, however, connect with Leyendecker’s brother, who told her the original 400-cubic-inch engine, transmission and hood were missing.

With that troubling information, the woman visited the Georgetown police station on Feb. 22, 2016, where she spoke to former Georgetown police Officer Adam Raymond, according to his report.

Raymond eventually tracked down Leyendecker and told him the owner wanted the car back. The next day, the woman spoke to Rowley police Detective Matthew Ziev, who began an investigation of his own.

“Detective Raymond asked Leyendecker where the motor, transmission and hood were, and he stated that he believed they were still at the site of his old workplace,” Ziev wrote in his report.

Fast-forward to November 2017, when Ziev and Georgetown Detective James Rodden spoke to Leyendecker, who said the parts were at his home and the car was at his old workplace.

When asked how he could work on the car without an engine, Leyendecker told police he didn’t have a driver’s license so he couldn’t tow the engine to his home.

Police asked more questions, which Leyendecker had trouble answering. He eventually told officers that he checked on what was left of the car at T-Bone Customs and discovered it was missing.

Given conflicting accounts regarding the whereabouts of the car and the parts, police came to the conclusion that Leyendecker was lying, according to Ziev’s report.