General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carspotting on Memorial Day Weekend 2013

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Carspotting on Memorial Day Weekend 2013

We were out for a drive (a "jaunt" ) this afternoon seeing the scenery before having a nice steak dinner in the north El Paso area (the "Edge of Texas Steakhouse and Saloon" is highly recommended), and I happened to spot these two '71 Oldsmobiles (edit: actually the Cutlass is a '72) by the side of the road, so I stopped to take some pictures.

Neither is listed for sale specifically, but the Cutlass is behind the fence of a metal recycling yard (located right at the New Mexico/Texas border just north of El Paso), so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you called or stopped in and got a "yes" answer if you asked.

The Delta 88, which is actually located about 5 miles south of Alamogordo, New Mexico, was parked at the end of long, private driveway right up near the highway as though the owner is trying to get people to see it. So even though there was no For Sale sign in the window, I have to believe that the owner would be amenable if you walked up to his house, knocked on the door, and expressed some interest.

The '71 Delta is a four-door sedan, white over blue. It's certainly seen better days, paint-condition-wise, and it's missing a bit of trim. But if it's been in the desert all its life, it's probably pretty good on the rust front, although it looks like someone was trying to do some body work, or at least some repainting, behind the right rear wheel opening.

Certainly the bumpers look good, although the left end of the rear one is bent outward slightly. But that's probably pretty easy to bend back. In fact, with the good-condition, inflated tires, and considering that it was parked up by the highway, I have to assume that it runs and drives.

The windows were filthy, so I couldn't get any photos of the interior.

One question: is the "Oldsmobile" script in the left side of the grille supposed to be slanted at 45 degrees like that?

The '72 Cutlass (not a '71, as I originally thought) is actually a Cutlass Supreme, and it's 2-door hardtop. I don't think it can be driven as there were no tires on the right-side rims (and probably none on the left side, either, although I couldn't see those).

However, the car certainly looks very saveable and should not be allowed to go to the crusher. If nothing else, like the Delta 88, the bumpers look to be nice, southern, rust-free examples that look like all it would take is a little elbow grease to shine them right up. I've posted a photo of the yard's sign if anyone wants to call them.

I couldn't get any interior photos or anything as the car was behind a fence and the yard was closed. I got these photos by holding my camera up over the top of the fence.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 26th, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM

I agree, too clean to wind up in the crusher. Some of our brethren from the salt belt would likely give their eye teeth for clean car like that.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The Cutlass Supreme is a 1972.
Thanks. I'll fix my post.