General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car storage

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

Car storage

My car has been in my garage for 6 yrs now. I might have to move it outside and was looking for ideas for temporary storage. Any of you guys and girls either bought something or built something to store a car outside over a cold NE winter? My main concern is rodents.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

When I stored my '68 Cutlass outside for the winter in Nova Scotia, a little farther northeast of you I did a couple of things. I never had a rodent problem in those 4 years. First, inside the car. You DO NOT want to use moth *****. The smell will not come out quickly in the spring. I even seen people use cedar scent moth *****. No good. I used, as recommened by others, green Irish Spring soap. I even once had a hole in my rented house that mice were coming in. Plugged the hole with green Irish Spring, no more mice. I cut two bars in half and put 1/4 under each fron seat. Another 1/4 under the dash and the last one on the rear package tray. Outside the car. I threw half a dozen moth *****, normal stinky kind, in each tail pipe and then stuff an old sock in it. I then wrapped a couple grocery bags over the end and tied them on. Under the hood I threw a couple moth ***** on the cowl screen and on the inner fenders. I wrapped a grocery bag over my carb, removed the paper filter and put a couple moth ***** inside the air cleaner. I left the windows cracked open about 1/16 of an inch just to let it breathe and then covered the car with a good quality outdoor car cover. This may seem like a lot to do, but really it's only 30-45 minutes and a cost of $5 (not includeing the car cover). I never had any trouble, even with parking it at my uncle's farm one year. The chicken house was alway full of mice/rats anytime of the year. I would still like to hear others advice. And NO I do not know why it can only be the GREEN Irsih Spring and nothing else.

Adam
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I used to have a problem finding mouse chit on the floor mat of my pick up when parked at work.
1 bar of the green irish spring soap under the seat and haven't found mouse chit since.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM

I guess I'm debating over renting a storage unit, buying a temporary garage or building something myself. Either way it will be cold storage so the mice are really my main concern. Thanks for the input.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:53 AM
...should get a life....

Green Irish Spring Soap???
I have a visitor who likes to sit on my inlet manifold and eat snails. Guess he cooks them. Australian rats are very classy. Escargot is a favourite. Always a few empty shells left there along with the usual droppings.
You think if I put some of this soap under the hood it will stop the little #@$@^%$??
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Get a couple of alley cats from south of 8 Mile in Detroit.Problem solved..
Next question...
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Green Irish Spring Soap???
I have a visitor who likes to sit on my inlet manifold and eat snails. Guess he cooks them. Australian rats are very classy. Escargot is a favourite. Always a few empty shells left there along with the usual droppings.
You think if I put some of this soap under the hood it will stop the little #@$@^%$??
Those refined mice in the Land Down Under would probably use the soap to clean up after fine dining.

There have been a few threads create on this same topic of rodent repellent. Some swear by sheets of fabric softner. Do a search on those key words for more information. Also, scroll down the the very bottom of this page for 'Similar Threads'.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
bil

The good part is-when you take the car out of storage,you can still use the soap-twice the usage! ---bil
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Those refined mice in the Land Down Under would probably use the soap to clean up after fine dining.

Checked under the hood this morning and there were tiny little knives & forks & and ice bucket. I stole the tip jar.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel..... you're such a "plick"!!!!! You just make me laugh!!
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM

I've also had luck with Peppermint Essential Oil. Little dish with cotton ***** with a few drops on them. Refresh as needed. Seems to work so far but the stuff is a little pricey. http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM

A couple of years ago (before I got my Delta Custom) I purchased a portable garage from a Canadian company call covertech.
http://www.cover-tech.com/portablegarages.htm

I'm pleased with my portable garage. It's lasted 3 winters so far and it's guaranteed for 10 years!
This thing will not blow away. My 10 x 25 shed came with 10 anchors that are driven 2 feet into the ground.

BTW...
What's all this talk about rodents? What are the snakes, cats, owls, hawks, eagles, ex wives, etc.
supposed to eat if you try to get rid of rodents?

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; September 5th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:41 AM
bil

Hopefully those creatures will be busy on the ex,and no time for the car! Whatever other methods you use,some good old mouse traps with peanut butter,checked regularly,are a must.DO NOT use them in the car!(maybe in the trunk,in a cardboard box) You don't want the smell of those dead buggers in there! But they do move around on warmer days ,even up north.(I am in Vermont) Also,if you don't need access,they make a sealed baggie type thing,it opens flat,the bottom is thicker,drive on,zip shut.I saw one that had a small fan that slightly inflated it,to keep the plastic off the car.I would think this would have to be inside,of course.Hope this helps a bit. ---bil
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=Jaybird;204221]A couple of years ago (before I got my Delta Custom) I purchased a portable garage from a Canadian company call covertech.
http://www.cover-tech.com/portablegarages.htm

I checked out the website
The cover I would need seems to be around 800.00 .
I also have a northern tool catalogue that some starting around 500.00
I don't know if there is a big diff or not in quality?
Thanks for the lead.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

I had one like the 500 dollar half round ShelterLogic deal from Northern. It was 15 years ago and they were called Cover-It Portable Garages then.
I used it for about three years and it was great, had a 3 foot snowfall and it held up fine, just slides off and piles up on the sides. I put a vent in the back wall for summer and gravel under it. I never had mouse problems, didn't do anything, my house was warmer and they all lived in there.
The neighbor a house down has had one set up "temporarily" in his drive for at least 13 years, I can see it right now.
I sold the one I had and the guy still has it in his backyard with junk in it, I should of kept the thing, was 250 bucks shipped back then.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1124_200121124
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
bil

Those are good,though I would not recomend letting the snow pile up around it.The strength is in the shape,and if the snow can't slide,puts extra weight on the wrong place.The hoops can bucke and collapse.I just had a job removing one that had done so-it was one of the bigger ones,though.The old ones had problems with the sun,you only got a few years and had to replace the cover,the newer ones are much better.Northern is a good place,also look in 'Tractor Supply" ---bil
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Before I had my house (and garage) I had an Evolution 3 car cover. When it would snow, I'd clear it off the car. Nobody could bellieve the car wasn't stored inside. I did that for about 10 years. That'll run ya about $100.
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:32 PM

California Car Covers best 100% waterproof cover, regular $296. on sale for $175.50. Good stuff.
I just ordered my second one before posting this.
http://www.buyautocovers.com/vaf/pro...9343&x=90&y=14
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Crazy Canuck

I store my car indoors and everyone complains about mice. Me- I use dryer sheets and put them in every hole, crevice, under the seats, in the vents, under the hood, in the trunk and I have never had an issue. And come spring it smells so good!

Wayne