General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Winter Car Storage Thread

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Winter Car Storage Thread

I know we kinda started on this previously, but the end is near, friends. down to 50 degrees today in Chicago, and I don't think it will go back up.

I figured we should have a new thread on car storage.

Good places, techniques, prices, etc. etc. to save people trouble in the spring.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

here is the link to the old thread as well.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ht=car+storage
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

When I stored my 72 Convertible, there was a field across the way and mice ended up dragging pieces of walnuts and various other crap into my air cleaner snorkel. so block that one off for sure

I'd stuff a stout rag in the exhaust as well.

Water vapor settled in the lowest point of the exhaust and probably froze and unfroze 100 times. Last year I drilled a couple 1/8'' holes at the lowest point, and then plugged them back up with stainless screws in the spring. It gets really foggy sometimes in the fall.

I put a light coat of sewing machine oil on my caliper seals and rubber hoses with a paint brush. And spray the rotors and inside of drums down with white lithium grease.

Sewing machine oil on all hinges and contacts

A battery disconnect, full tank of premium gas with Plenty of Stabil and carb cleaner. (I put a little bit of paint thinner in too)

A few drops of Upper cylinder lubricant in the spark plug holes. I used the red motor break in stuff once and the lucas stuff once, both were fine. Red stuff is much sticker though.

Dielectric grease on battery terminals and cables, the starter contacts, and the coil plug.

I put 4 crappy rims and tires on from the boneyard so I don't get any flat spots on my Kellys I also put a piece of cloth between the rim and rotor so they don't get stuck together. Anti sieze or grease the middles so they don't stick either.
Some people use stands, but I don't like having the total weight of the car focused on 4 little points of contact.
(Kinda like women's high heels cause more damage to concrete than 18 wheel semi trucks.)

If I'm not going to be starting it up, I'll over fill my oil a couple of quarts, and drain it in the spring. Save the storage oil for your buddies/your beater cars.

Hit the grease fittings.... U joints too.

I brush little oil on the underside of the belts while it idles.

Spray some tri-flow on the steering linkage, and A-arms.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

All good recommendation J. I never store mine, end up moving them at least weekly even if they aren't daily drivers. Around here we have underground storage places where the temperature never gets below about 65 degrees and the humidity is controlled. It might be something worth looking into for those of you that have really nice original cars and you want to preserve them.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM

Down here in the Ozarks they call that Fantastic caverns. They wont let us park in there!
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:27 AM

My 75 Olds Cutlass is stored in the back yard in Castaic California, only need to worry about it being burned up. Andy
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by ozoneblue
Down here in the Ozarks they call that Fantastic caverns. They wont let us park in there!
Been there quite a few times. There is definitely room in there.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Wisconsin Member

On a related note, how much will it help or hurt to start the car every few weeks and let it run for 30 minutes to get the whole engine & exhaust hot enough to burn off moisture? My '72 will be kept in the garage, but I'll need to move it out from time to time to work on the other cars. My neighbor swears that this is much worse than not starting it at all. Or is the truth somewhere in the middle??
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Well, the engine was designed to run, so I'm gonna say that you'll be ok
30 minutes of idle is a little much though. I'd let it run till the thermostat opens, and call it good after a few more minutes.

Attached garage? Or freezer barn?
I have the latter
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Wisconsin Member

Attached garage, but not heated. My thought in letting it run for a while is that it'll let the exhaust get up to temp to get rid of extra condensation in it.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Muskego Jeff
Attached garage, but not heated. My thought in letting it run for a while is that it'll let the exhaust get up to temp to get rid of extra condensation in it.

Yes, exactly.