General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A/C condenser..looks like...

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM

A/C condenser..looks like...

...garbage. However, I just heard back from my A/C shop today and everything tested out well. However, they don't do restorations of these as they almost fall more under a radiator restorer than A/C. As it's fine, I don't want to replace it, but would like it to look a little better as everything else under the hood will look new or nearly new.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? Should I take it to a radiator shop?

Was thinking, we kind of need a Cooling & A/C section here on the boards. Wasn't really sure where to post this.
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM

It is aluminum.....I am pretty sure the factory painted em black so degrease it with solvent or whatever...tape the ends shut so nothing gets inside then fire away with the spray bomb.....instant restoration!
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Really, they were black? Wow, mine is currently a goldish metal color. I'd be surprised if it was painted at one point, but if it was, that's some change!
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Randy C.

They should be black, from my experience - the GM Chassis black color made by Seymour in a rattle can works well. One thing that happened to me when I got the original compressor rebuilt for my '71 Corvette was that they wanted the original dryer, too. The company that overhauled my original compressor restored the dryer at the same time. They said they had to do it that way to ensure that both were fully functional. They wouldn't guarentee the compressor unless they also had the dryer. Only trouble is, I don't remember the name of the company that did it - all I recall was that it was somewhere in Texas. But the way they restored the compressor was such that I was able to keep the original sticker on the unit, which I liked better than having to create a new one. I would suggest checking with other A/C outfits in Hemmings to see what they say. I can run the Corvette A/C with R-134 now as well. Randy C.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM

You can buy a condenser "comb" to straighten out the bent fins. Tedious work, but helps the appearance.
I think you can buy a special 'radiator' paint that will spruce it up without affecting the heat transfer as much as regular paint, too.
DW
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:27 AM

I agree with Danny. There is probably a specific paint that won't change the heat transfer ability as much as normal spray paint. Ask around at your local radiator shop. Then again, if your local shop can clean and repair the condensor for under $50 then I would have that done.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Cool. Thanks guys. I got the radiator paint and straightening tools from Eastwood. Some of my radiator fins need straightening too, so just decided to do it myself. Hopefully I can get it fairly straight and cleaned up to where it looks respectable.