General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bulb Model for Dash Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Bulb Model for Dash Gauges?

I've acquired a speedometer with speed minder and Rally Pack for my car. What value lamp will work best for illumination and what source is easiest? I can't see performing the installation and not putting in new lamps.
Thank you, - Steven
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Hi Steven
Rob did a really nice job showing what he did to a set of gauges. Read through this thread and see if it answers your questions. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-rp-stuff.html
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Answer appears to be 168

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Steven
Rob did a really nice job showing what he did to a set of gauges. Read through this thread and see if it answers your questions. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-rp-stuff.html

Great Thread Thank you!
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:04 PM

LED bulbs for the gauges and dash are a great cheap upgrade. Look online and find a distributor. Usually if you get them from overseas its alot cheaper than someone here in the states.
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Having a clean shiny paint job inside the gauge for the light to reflect off of is the most important thing. Try that with 168 bulbs and see the results before going the LED route - you just might be as impressed as I was!
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Having a clean shiny paint job inside the gauge for the light to reflect off of is the most important thing. Try that with 168 bulbs and see the results before going the LED route - you just might be as impressed as I was!
Thank you Rob for the detailed thread and results of the work on your gauges. I think I'm inclined to use the 168's and be done with it, although I have seen an impressive improvement in McIntosh Labs equipment illumination since they changed from regular bulbs to LED. If I experiment with the LED lamps I'll certainly share my experience. - Steven
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:20 PM

The concern I have with LED is that they use so little power that they will probably render the dimming function unusable. In home lighting systems LED bulbs don't function well with dimmers designed for incandescent bulbs. If anybody wants to respond with LED lamp experience on an A-Body I'd be interested in your findings. - Steven
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 69ishHoliday
The concern I have with LED is that they use so little power that they will probably render the dimming function unusable. In home lighting systems LED bulbs don't function well with dimmers designed for incandescent bulbs. If anybody wants to respond with LED lamp experience on an A-Body I'd be interested in your findings. - Steven
I faced the same dilemma almost a year ago. I thought my original style bulbs were too dim and started looking into LEDs. I bought a couple sets off of ebay and put them in. I'm VERY happy with the results. This gives you some indication of the difference. LED on the left with the standard bulb on the right.

They work fine with the dimmer. You just have to make sure you check that you insert them the right way as they are diodes. If they don't work, rotate 180 degrees and they will. I've got more than 10 left (I hadn't counted how many I needed and ordered 20). If you're interested, a couple bucks plus shipping and I can send you 10... Otherwise, I can try and track down which ones I ordered...

Al
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hmmmmmm...

My gauges are annoyingly dim in my '73 Delta (a problem I never had in other GM cars I have owned), and I have had them apart, and the paint inside is nice and clean (I've cleaned everything thoroughly), and the paint is nice and bright, and I've also cleaned the fuse terminals, and replaced the headlight switch (for other reasons).
Perhaps LED lamps would be beneficial, especially if they can be dimmed (something I had been concerned about).

I would be grateful for any information about which LED lamps available on line are of good quality, as opposed to the ones that work for a week and then quit.

Thanks,

- Eric
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora
I faced the same dilemma almost a year ago. I thought my original style bulbs were too dim and started looking into LEDs. I bought a couple sets off of ebay and put them in. I'm VERY happy with the results. This gives you some indication of the difference. LED on the left with the standard bulb on the right.

They work fine with the dimmer. You just have to make sure you check that you insert them the right way as they are diodes. If they don't work, rotate 180 degrees and they will. I've got more than 10 left (I hadn't counted how many I needed and ordered 20). If you're interested, a couple bucks plus shipping and I can send you 10... Otherwise, I can try and track down which ones I ordered...

Al
I think the rh side is normal looking,as long as all the bulbs are lit i would not invest in led upgrades,imho.Nick
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:38 AM

I cleaned and repainted my housings before I went LED. They were brighter but the LEDs are night and day difference. Any bulb I can upgrade to LED in my Olds and my motorcycle clusters I will. Its like looking at modern gauges but with old school style.
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora

Al
Thank you Al, I'll take you up on your offer, I've sent you a PM. - Steven
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM

For anyone that is interested in using the same LEDs that I did, I tracked down who/what I bought on ebay. This is a current listing for the same part from the same vendor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-T10-5SMD...item417d9c5339
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Just the facts...

now if they only offered them in bright orange...

bill
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Use orange silicone bulb cap condoms?

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-T10-194-...-/271417004693
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:28 AM

How do the LED bulbs work in the turn signal indicators? I've heard they don't react quick enough to be brighter than the regular bulbs. Just asking because that's what I have been told by somebody that tried them.

Thanks
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
How do the LED bulbs work in the turn signal indicators? I've heard they don't react quick enough to be brighter than the regular bulbs. Just asking because that's what I have been told by somebody that tried them.

Thanks
That shouldn't be a problem. LED bulb reaction time is MUCH faster than an incan bulb. The problem they can cause for turn signals is when they are used on the exterior lighting, as they don't draw enough current to properly operate the flasher.

Last edited by RandyS; March 12th, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by RandyS
That shouldn't be a problem. LED bulb reaction time is MUCH faster than an incan bulb. The problem they can cause for turn signals is when they are used on the exterior lighting, as they don't draw enough current to properly operate the flasher.
replace the flasher with one that isn't dependent on the load, but you will lose the "bulb out" feature.

bill
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I didn't use any on the exterior. I tried them in the side marker "rocket" lights since it is the same type, but it didn't look right as you can see the filament on the original and the multiple individual LEDs on these assemblies and they don't look anything the same. Since I want a factory appearance, I would only use the LEDs for indirect lighting like the instruments.