General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Build sheets found in headliners?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Any suggestions where to look for my card for a 1969 Fremont, CA 442? I am going to start a tear down soon and I would like to limit the mess in searching.

Thanks
Fremont is the best...almost certainly a build sheet (Body Production Order Final I think is proper term) on top of gas tank. Other places described for Fremont include under package shelf, in back seat springs, inside doors, inside A pillars, inside front fenders.

I found a build sheet for my Fremont '71 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 - definitely hit lottery becuase factory records are gone for '71 Buicks.

Steve
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by orange442
This Oldsmobile Production Code "B" 1970 Model "build sheet" for my 70 W-31 was supposed to have been found in my headliner.
This is amazing documentation, is there anything that ties it to your car (VIN or Fisher Body Number), build date? POP type IDs?
Steve
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Any suggestions where to look for my card for a 1969 Fremont, CA 442? I am going to start a tear down soon and I would like to limit the mess in searching.
I've seen a LOT of Freemont cars have their build sheets on top of the gas tank.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:14 PM

Does anyone have any idea where to look for a Linden, NJ built 442? I'll be tearing my car down soon and have hopes of finding a sheet. Headliner is long gone and so is the front bench, so that's out. My car was rode hard and put away wet, so I have my doubts. Fingers crossed! Appreciate the help, thanks!

Last edited by 455Olds; January 16th, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM

Does anyone have any idea where to look for a Linden, NJ built 442?
My buddy's was in the front bucket seat springs.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM

When I restored my 73 442 (Arlington, TX built) it had one complete build sheet under the heavy "tar paper" heat and sound/vibration absorber mat on the passenger side floor. Of course this was right above where the exhaust pipe ran, so most of the build sheet was very crispy, discolored, and unreadable.

There was the top left portion of a second copy of the build sheet (obviously cut with scissors) above the headliner, in roughly the area of the driver side sun visor. Of course this portion of the second copy of the build sheet was in perfect condition.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
This is amazing documentation, is there anything that ties it to your car (VIN or Fisher Body Number), build date? POP type IDs?
Steve
Steve, it does not have the body number like my 2 Fisher broadcast cards do but it does have the correct model number and production date as well as the W-31 specific codes and the "W-31 PERFORM OPT" typed out in the open space at the bottom. I have also wondered about the "J" in the 1st box of the last line "D" marked "COLOR". The 2nd box next to it is marked fender type so if the "J" is a color code for the paint on the fenders then it would help, but I do not know if that is what the J means. I would not think it was likely that a sheet this specific would not be to my car as these cars were specifically built and not all built together. I have not taken my car completely apart so there may be even more paperwork in it, maybe something else with the same line number as my "B" sheet.

Maybe DaveB can shed some light on the J color code?

Last edited by orange442; January 16th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:15 PM

Guess I got behind on my replies!

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
This is a broadcast card and one for a W31 at that Way cool brother!
Thank you! With this and my 2 broadcast cards as well as POP and all the glove box paperwork and manuals, I am very happy with all of the documentation!

Originally Posted by dfire25
Did they give you a general location where in the headliner they found these sheets? Did they have to take the headliner completely down to find it? This is the last hope I have to find ANY documentation on my 442, so I would like to give it a try.
Only the front seam of my headliner is torn, but it is all still there.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Please, Please don't everyone start ripping out your headliners on Lansing built cars. I've had alot more than one thousand Lansing built Oldsmobiles apart and I've never found a build sheet or Fisher Body card over the headliner. Maybe there's a very very rare chance of finding one there. But my experiance is that you won't find one. Also headliners don't go in and out all that easy. ~BOB
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Please, Please don't everyone start ripping out your headliners on Lansing built cars. I've had alot more than one thousand Lansing built Oldsmobiles apart and I've never found a build sheet or Fisher Body card over the headliner. Maybe there's a very very rare chance of finding one there. But my experiance is that you won't find one. Also headliners don't go in and out all that easy. ~BOB
Great advice. Unfortunately I'm planning to remove mine to install the lighting options for the car, and install roof sound deadening. Like you, I seriously doubt there will be any documentation up there.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Kjr442

[QUOTE=zodiacblue442;642150]When I restored my 73 442 (Arlington, TX built) it had one complete build sheet under the heavy "tar paper" heat and sound/vibration absorber mat on the passenger side floor. Of course this was right above where the exhaust pipe ran, so most of the build sheet was very crispy, discolored, and unreadable.

There was the top left portion of a second copy of the build sheet (obviously cut with scissors) above the headliner, in roughly the area of the driver side sun visor. Of course this portion of the second copy of the build sheet was in perfect condition.

Every Arlington car I have had, had it in the same place.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:10 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Allan R
Great advice. Unfortunately I'm planning to remove mine to install the lighting options for the car, and install roof sound deadening. Like you, I seriously doubt there will be any documentation up there.

So no harm, no foul there. If you find a sheet it's a bonus, if you don't you are no worse off.

Roger.
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I've seen a LOT of Freemont cars have their build sheets on top of the gas tank.
Allan,

Got most of the interior out with the exception being the console and sound deadening liner of the headliner. Nothing so far. I will drop the gas tank this weekend and check there. I have the seats out but have not tried really gutting down to the springs (although new covers are inevitable so may pull them apart). I still need to pull the small tar paper up on both sides floor pan. I am hoping to find something. I see this as the cars birth certificate.

Thanks
Sean
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can also check in behind the bucket seat upright panel. Chances are no build sheet, but very likely to find a broadcast card.

Birth certificate? Maybe depending on how you look at it. The birth certificate is usually related to registering, as in VIN. I call the VIN the BC, and anything else found is the provenance that supports the cars history.