General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

BS w27 auction on ebay price jacking

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM

BS w27 auction on ebay price jacking

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

this is a bullsh-t auction!!! the seller blocked the bidders id so he could jack the price up with made up new buyers!! and the people watchn it cant see that all the big bids are from 0feedback new users!!! this must be the same guy thats been tring 2 get 8500 for the last year, i hate cheaters is your going 2 auction off a part do it fair
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Smile

If you think it is a fake, report it to ebay for shill bidding. They may pull the listing.

Last edited by Cameo White; January 7th, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Am I wrong, or are those stainless steel brake lines on this rear that "was taken out a W-30 in the early 70's?"

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM

I don't know for sure if he's bidding it up or not but Ebay blocks the id's of bidders now it's not up to the sellers. They only show their feedback points.

Correction, sorry I see now what you mean, but even when its not a private auction you can't see the bidders real id's.

Last edited by ddx77; January 6th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM

The seller is bruce bisbing he has alot of olds cars he has had a hurst wagon 69 hurst 72 w30 has a 68 w-30 in restration and another one not sure what it is at muscle car restorations in ws
I cant say his shillin it, but yet to reach reserve either way.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM

i was bidding on this and not sure if it shows any name for me but i have 163 stars if that helps identify my bids. i thought i may have had a shot at getting a good deal on a w-27 but loks like it is not gonna happen. i agree that there might be some shill bidding going on but who knows
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ddx77
I don't know for sure if he's bidding it up or not but Ebay blocks the id's of bidders now it's not up to the sellers. They only show their feedback points.

Correction, sorry I see now what you mean, but even when its not a private auction you can't see the bidders real id's.
yea but when its not a private auction you can see the 1st and last letter of the name and there feedback score so you know its real members bidding, i dont see that rear end shooting that high with a few days left ive seen items shoot up in the last minute but not days b4, he probly bid it right under the reserve and is waitn for a sucker 2 bid once over!! i was going 2 bid and would of paid 4800 plus shipping just because a w27 is a dream of mine, i think its 1 of the coolest items oldmobile ever made
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM

this is kinda strange, when i log off my user name on e bay and check this item it shows me as a private bidder? when i log on and check item it shows my username but other bidders as private. not sure if this is normal or not?????
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:48 AM

yes he has it set up that way at best it will show a F###41 then rating 137 for the other guy no full names any more just yours
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:24 AM
"me somebody" site member

I promised myself I wasn't going to do this in the new year, but...

The man has 100% positive feedback. Also, as someone pointed out, you can sometimes figure out who is bidding based on their feedback number. The community of Olds guys who are interested in and have the money for such a piece is a small one, and perhaps he wanted to do everything he can to protect the privacy of his prospective buyers. EBay's even states that one example where private listings may be appropriate are as the sale of "high-priced ticket" items.

Regardless, there is not a shred of evidence to suggest the auction is not "Kosher".
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Registered

You guys didn't catch the W27 rear on the London, England Craigslist in December? Maybe the guy still has it?
It was going for 1800 pounds which is 2778 bucks, be a lot cheaper than that one on evilbay with shipping, could even go pick it up in person and buy a seat for it for the ride home and still come out ahead.
Be fun to go through airport security with that thing strapped to your back and hidden under your long overcoat.
Maybe it is the one on evilbay?.. be a shrewd flip move if it is.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pts/2103256137.html
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM

this is a bullsh-t auction!!!
Why, because you don't have enough money to play?

was going 2 bid and would of paid 4800 plus shipping just because a w27 is a dream of mine, i think its 1 of the coolest items oldmobile ever made
Keep dreaming, you dont want it that much.

The community of Olds guys who are interested in and have the money for such a piece is a small one,
Right on the er um money.

Regardless, there is not a shred of evidence to suggest the auction is not "Kosher".
Exactly
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You guys didn't catch the W27 rear on the London, England Craigslist in December? Maybe the guy still has it?
It was going for 1800 pounds which is 2778 bucks, be a lot cheaper than that one on evilbay with shipping, could even go pick it up in person and buy a seat for it for the ride home and still come out ahead.
Be fun to go through airport security with that thing strapped to your back and hidden under your long overcoat.
Maybe it is the one on evilbay?.. be a shrewd flip move if it is.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pts/2103256137.html
i saw this the other day but was worried if it is some kind of scam how do i protect myself from being ripped off? dont know much about craiglist, how do you confirm this w-27 is a legit deal.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

In the general, the rule is that Craigslist is supposed to be for person-to-person transactions - offers to ship goods are frowned upon, and, in my opinion, suspicious.

Craigslist is NOT eBay - there are NO guarantees or protections.

And, no, if you send money to someone in another country, and they do not send you your goods in return, there is nothing you can do about it, short of flying over there, hoping they gave you a true address, finding them, and punching them in the nose.

- Eric
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by charlierogers
i saw this the other day but was worried if it is some kind of scam how do i protect myself from being ripped off? dont know much about craiglist, how do you confirm this w-27 is a legit deal.
CO has members in England, maybe one of them could check it out and make sure everthing's legit and handle the transaction?
I don't know how many members are in the London area but I know there are at least a couple, one just joined recently.
Do a search with England and a few will pop up, could also start a thread asking if anybody in the London area could check it out for you, you never know.
My nephew was in the Air Force and was stationed in London for a year, if he was still there I would of had him go check it out, maybe somebody here has a friend or relative in the area that could do it.
If you're in the OCA you could check the member list and see if there are any guys over there that may be of help.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Sounds like it would be worth it for a company to reproduce these rear ends. I'd like to have one but cant pay those prices.
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I promised myself I wasn't going to do this in the new year, but...

The man has 100% positive feedback. Also, as someone pointed out, you can sometimes figure out who is bidding based on their feedback number. The community of Olds guys who are interested in and have the money for such a piece is a small one, and perhaps he wanted to do everything he can to protect the privacy of his prospective buyers. EBay's even states that one example where private listings may be appropriate are as the sale of "high-priced ticket" items.

This is exactly right. And to go a step further you can read some of the 423 positive feedbacks...especially from the guy who recently paid him $911 for a 69 Olds steering wheel, or $451 for a W31 intake. 423 is a lot of feedbacks and to still be at 100% should say something. That is what the feedback system is intended for.
And for what it's worth, he clearly stated that he would not ship it. So whoever buys it will have to deal with him face to face.
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM

He was the pres of the local olds club and his dad at one time owned a olds dealership
bispnig olds and cadillac if I remember . I have seen his shop and some of his cars as
have other's on this site .
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM

No kidding on the original post.

Looks like we have another bomb thrower with no arm. At this rate all he's going to do is succeed in blowing himself up.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by 70Post; January 7th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM

There is no reason to believe this is not legit. The fact that the price/reserve is probably about $10K is no surprise and not really that outrageous.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
1970 442

I agree, the price is not out of line! If you get an entire Olds 12-bolt (or even a 10-bolt) rebuilt CORRECTLY, bearings, seals, ring and pinion, maybe even axles, and you need a new posi unit, you're looking at around $3000. You can get a regular rebuilt posi rear for around $1500, and one needing a rebuild (junkyard) for $500.

On top of those prices, this is a REAL W-27 rear with VERY low miles, and it was built by Olds, so you know it won't have any gear whine, etc. I think W-27 rears in need of a rebuild will get $2000-$3000! So $7000-$9000 is not out of line for this one, in my opinion.
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:16 AM

[quote=a64olz;241274]Why, because you don't have enough money to play?

LOL!!!!!!! i got the money 2 play, i make more sittn on my *** than most do workn 40-60 hours a week

the auction is BS because the bidders are private it wont show if its real members bidding or made up new members 2 push the price up!! i have around 50 new postives in the last 60days i buy and sell on ebay i know all the tricks i have 2 accounts 1 with 350 feedbacks and 1 with 160 if i was crooked i could push my prices but i dont

if w27s were worth 7000-10000 than the $8500 w27 with 342s with the same story (sittn 4 years) thats been forsale for a year would of been sold!! or the w27 with 411/456s for $6200 would of been sold, or the w27 with 390s in sanfrancisco for $5000 would of sold, it sold for 3500 8months later that was in sept 2010, a original needs resto 70 w31 with a w27 just sold for $16000 or $17000 in 2010, oldsmobiles arnt worth chit!!! there resale value SUCKS unless there 4speed cars, Wcars, or rare,

W27s ARE NOT WORTH 7000-10000!!!
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
"me somebody" site member

In order for shill bidding to work for a seller, a REAL bidder has to exceed the shill bids. Other-wise, the seller is just wasting their time (much like we all are trying to engage you in conversation).
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM

There worth 8 to 10 grand because thats what bruce is holding out for.
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Welcome to capitalism. If I buy a car for 400.00 because the guy needs 400.00 to make a house payment and turn around and sell it for 4K does that make me a bad person? I have been on both sides of this and both were a win win because of the situation.

Can't afford it don't play. Don't lay a 1K bet on the card table when you have $5.00 in your pocket
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Welcome to capitalism. If I buy a car for 400.00 because the guy needs 400.00 to make a house payment and turn around and sell it for 4K does that make me a bad person? I have been on both sides of this and both were a win win because of the situation.

Can't afford it don't play. Don't lay a 1K bet on the card table when you have $5.00 in your pocket
Well said. I will reiterate the point only because some folks are having a hard time understanding it.

If the seller wants $10K or $100K and someone buys it then that is what it is worth. For some reason some people are arguing that the item should be only worth whatever its constituent parts are worth. If that were true then I imagine the Mona Lisa would be worth $10, or Jim Hendrix Stratocaster would not be worth the $175K that someone paid.

Value is an intangible concept. It is rarely a function of the intrinsic value of the components. It derives from such things as aesthetic appeal, historical significance, precision of function, etc, etc.

When people complain about the value/cost of items that are not basic or essential to existence then it certainly sounds like jealously.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM

I have seen plenty of Ebay auctions done as 'private". I think one reason people also do it is so others don't try to contact the bidders and offer to sell something similar. You never know if there is monkey business going on, but it seems totally legit to me and that price is not out of the stratosphere. I have seen those rears go for $4K to $9.5K over the years (with the $9.5K one being a supposed new in crate unit bought from the dealership sold at Carlisle), so a low mileage unit might bring that much.
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

No reason to bid up a rare item.......It will sell for a crazy price worth it to no one but the winner of the auction,Start high and see if theres any takers then slowy back it back down till it sells,Its the american way.............Jerr
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The price of anything is what a willing and qualified bidder is willing to pay. If the seller wants say $8,000 for an item, that is what it is worth to him. Nobody else may bid that much so the market value is not $8,000. Capitalism drives the value. Most everything I look at on ebay does not disclose who the bidders are. One of the ones I love is the seller that says no reserve but has a required opening bid. If that is not a reserve, what the hell is it? It is prices like this that make me glad I am not into doing correct restorations. I think Olds507 could build several rear ends for the price of this one. But then, that is just me.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:06 AM

who all was watching this, was bidding on this and either i goofed or it ended early? thought it was ending later this afternoon. good thing it ended and i did not win. my wife would of flipped if she saw what i bid on it. though i figure its allways easier to get forgiviness{sp} than permission.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The price of anything is what a willing and qualified bidder is willing to pay........... Nobody else may bid that much so the market value is not $8,000. .
These two statements seem to contradict each other. However, I may be misinterpretting what you are saying.

The FMV is whatever a buyer or buyers pay. My wife is in real estate. When determining the value or price (i.e. FMV) of a house in a neighborhood the method used is the price of the houses that sold recently. Now yea, you may find that one day no one is going to pay that value and all the rest of the buyers offer only 1/2 the listed price. Then I suppose the FMV is 1/2 the listed FMV, but only if it sells at 1/2 the listed price. Until that time the FMV is considered the last sold price.
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM

wow even though it didn't sell 7800 is still pretty darn high for a W27. wonder how many are still sitting around
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
wow even though it didn't sell 7800 is still pretty darn high for a W27. wonder how many are still sitting around
Huh---those are everywhere. I saw one sticking out of a dumpster the other day and there was also one laying in the parking lot at a nearby convenience store the other day. A neighbor ran over one in his backyard while mowing last spring. They are becoming a nuisance.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM

my point was.... as others have said there seems to be a bunch that have come out of the woodwork lately, seems like 3000 - 5000 was the norm just a few years ago and in a crap economy you wouldn't expect them to go much higher. Now it seems everyone tries to get 8500+ for them. There weren't that many made (@350), many were probably blown up and discarded and i would think most of the others still existing would be on a car. I find it interesting to see how many have popped up lately not on a car. You just wouldn't think there would be that many sitting around as desirable as they are. I for one have only seen one other car with it on.
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp

I see this a lot in our hobby old cars. I was looking at a car a few years back. The guy had it appraised at about $10,000.00. I made a fair offer of $8500.00 because it still needed a lot of work. He got rather upset because I would not pay what the appraised value was. I tried to explain to him that no matter what the appraisal is for, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay, or what you are willing to accept.

He told me he had someone coming to look at it, and he wanted to see what they would offer. Told me if that deal did not go through I could have it for $8500.00. Well....he called me a couple days later to let me know the other deal did not go through. I told him that was too bad and offered him $8000.00. He hung up. Sorry for the sidetrack...
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

I told him that was too bad and offered him $8000.00. He hung up.
That's funny!
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

this is a bullsh-t auction!!! the seller blocked the bidders id so he could jack the price up with made up new buyers!! and the people watchn it cant see that all the big bids are from 0feedback new users!!! this must be the same guy thats been tring 2 get 8500 for the last year, i hate cheaters is your going 2 auction off a part do it fair
As far as I know ALL auction hide the biders. I have auctioned stuff off and there is no option for me to hide or unhide a bidders ID.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
This guy has been trying to sell that for months. I believe he is a scammer. I asked several times for a phone number to discuss and he never replied.