General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

brake fluid and paint?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM

brake fluid and paint?

i was always told and even read on the bottle of brake fluid that it will eat paint. i goofed up real bad and parked the Rallye 350 under the Jetfire. i have the front end out of the jetfire and brake fluid dripped on the Rallye 350 over the past week. i got it cleaned up this morning but can't see where it hurt anything. i take it that this is not as bad as i was always told or did i just get lucky?
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I am thinking you go lucky and all of your sealing and waxing saved it.
I have seen it destroy paint on contact. It lifts POR15 like nothing.
Glad there was no damage!
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You most likely have new(er) paint on the Rallye? Brake fluid will do quite a job on factory lacquer in short order. Two stage paints with clear coat and single stage enamels must be quite a bit tougher??? Obviously or you’d be real angry right now or it wasn’t brake fluid?
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have seen it destroy paint on contact. It lifts POR15 like nothing.
X2 I have to redo a spot on my frame where it spilled from the MC while I was bleeding the brakes. Note to self: keep lid on MC when bleeding. It squirted back all over the cowl too!

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Brake fluid will do quite a job on factory lacquer in short order. Two stage paints with clear coat and single stage enamels must be quite a bit tougher
CC does help a LOT. I ended up wiping the BF off the paint with shop towels, but really need to go over it with a hose. Couldn't do that last Nov; the temp was too cold. Wipe down with a wet sponge didn't help - it froze on the metal.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM

You may have gotten lucky, but just the same if it were my car I would give the affected area a thorough soap/water douche. Perhaps the Jetfire has an inferiority complex!!
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
...Note to self: keep lid on MC when bleeding. It squirted back all over the cowl too!
I see you went to school on that the same place I did!

CC does help a LOT. I ended up wiping the BF off the paint with shop towels, but really need to go over it with a hose. Couldn't do that last Nov; the temp was too cold. Wipe down with a wet sponge didn't help - it froze on the metal.

Some rubbing alcohol or wax and grease remover should stay fluid in freezing temperatures. You can rewax when it warms up.
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Living up there you would think you'd naturally use the same technique you use to write your name in the snow or detach toungues that are frozen to steel fence posts to hose off the fluid??
Don't you guys consume all that beer so you're always prepared for these situations??
There's usually a tank of windshield washer fluid under the hood that doesn't freeze and can be used to wash it off if you aren't tall enough for a straight shot or don't have enough pressure to arc over the top of the fender.
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
GM Enthusiast

Glad to hear it did not damage your paint. Question, if you switch a car to silicone fluid (assuming it does not have ABS) wouldn't that fluid be safe on paint surfaces or will that also potentially cause damage?