General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Black Ghost

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Bunser
Switching subjects and only muddying the waters in a way due to lack of understanding. Sort of an "all hat, no cattle" type of thing.
Hope this helps.
Not so much, actually.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect is more accurately described as applying to an incompetent person having delusions of adequacy. Hard to see how it works in conjunction with the topic at hand.

What you're talking about is commonly referred to as a "straw man argument".
Old June 4th, 2023, 05:17 PM
Always room for one more

I think the statement was made in regards to Glenn mentioning Obama being president.

Old June 5th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by slantflat
I think the statement was made in regards to Glenn mentioning Obama being president.
Yeah, I know. Still doesn't work and off-topic besides.
Old June 5th, 2023, 09:33 PM
Banned

But for some reason mods let it be. Pick and choose. If Phlegm is in we are good.

All the internet chatter about that car can never really tell anyone what this car has lived. Like I said earlier in this thread were there faster cars? Of course. There was never anything such as an unbeaten car. This car is super unique. Super cool car. Dog it now when really you have no clue? Good call.
Cool A Mopar period. If anyone buys this car and restores it. You are an idiot. Leaving soul to a car like this? Exactly what the muscle car world needs. I am very hip to Detroit runners. Hello it's Detroit. So many cool fast cars. This car is what it is. Doesn't claim to be anything other than that. Get the F out of here trying to tell me or anyone else that actually lived the life. All you checkbook warriors that were not around back in the day have zero clue. Cooler times than you could even imagine. And you do imagine because you weren't there.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; June 5th, 2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
But for some reason mods let it be. Pick and choose. If Phlegm is in we are good

Ok, Karen, I must have really struck a nerve, huh? LMFAO
Old June 6th, 2023, 06:34 AM

This car is what it is. Doesn't claim to be anything other than that.

Get the F out of here trying to tell me or anyone else that actually lived the life. All you checkbook warriors that were not around back in the day have zero clue. Cooler times than you could even imagine. And you do imagine because you weren't there.
So, OLDSFAN, lets point out a few things:

FIRST, "This car is what it is. Doesn't claim to be anything other than that." Does this car not CLAIM to be the undefeated street racer of Detroit back in the day??? It that exactly it's claim-to-fame? Yet no one remember the car or any stories of THE CAR!

SECONG, "Cooler times than you could even imagine. And you do imagine because you weren't there." So I take it you were there, I wasn't back in 1970-1974 era. I was in the 90's a few times and wrenched help on a fast Detroit car from then till about 2014. And Yes meet/knew some of the guys that ran then. Yet there are also numerous posts on various website from people that WERE THERE at that timeframe who never heard/seen the car or stories. Like the guy who ran with Jimmy Addison from when he had the IRON car! The car BEFORE the Silver Bullet. TOP ENDERs never heard of him or the car.

SO the "UNDEFEATED STREET RACING LENGEND OF DETROIT" part of this story is dead and pretty much proven as NOT TRUE.

WHAT IS TRUE is the legit SURVIVOR status of one of the best optioned Hemi Challengers on the planet. No deigning that. And yes, if I owned that car, I would probably change a few thing like take the ZULU stuff off the fenders. Would also possibly look at a cosmetic resto a bit. BUT wouldn't know till I had the car some time to get a feel of it. RIGHT or WRONG by your standards, or anyone else's don't matter. The man who stepped up and paid his $$$ shall do what he wants with it. Ryan might blast it all apart and full resto if he feels like it, as it's his car to deal with it. BUT I highly doubt that from what he has said about the purchase.

Old June 6th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Banned

So wrenching on cars in the nineties and later is nothing at all what life was like in the seventies and eighties period. Can't even compare those times. Nothing even close. Completely different times cars etc. Period.

People keep bringing up that nobody remembers the car. I street raced all over Denver many many many times. Hundreds of times. I bet you couldn't find one person that would remember racing me. I never lost a race either. Plenty of cars faster including in my own family and circle of friends. It's just funny to me to see all the armchair comments about this car. Why people hate on the added emblems is equally comical.

Cool unique car.
Old June 6th, 2023, 01:10 PM

It's too bad there aren't any old timers from Detroit on here who may have actually participated in the early 70's street scene. I'm not saying the stories are not true or untrue but one may never know. As one member claims that he was never beat in a street race and I can also make that claim. It all depends on who you are racing and pure **** luck! So, the Black Ghost could have been a "legend never beaten", all depending on who he went up against! ( Now, everyone on this forum knows what kills a good story...an eye witness!)
Old June 6th, 2023, 03:02 PM

So wrenching on cars in the nineties and later is nothing at all what life was like in the seventies and eighties period. Can't even compare those times. Nothing even close. Completely different times cars etc. Period.

People keep bringing up that nobody remembers the car. I street raced all over Denver many many many times. Hundreds of times. I bet you couldn't find one person that would remember racing me. I never lost a race either. Plenty of cars faster including in my own family and circle of friends. It's just funny to me to see all the armchair comments about this car. Why people hate on the added emblems is equally comical.

Cool unique car.
I didn't say it was like the 70's I said I met people who were THERE in the 60's till the 90's!!! I'm online with 8 or so guys that ran the Detroit scene streetracing and crewing. NO ONE remember that car. No one has a story about that car or heard of that car. You don't think someone with the street cred and fame like Jim Wangers would recall being beaten or racing or hearing about the Black Ghost. A guy who ran multiple cars since the 60's till the 90's and was in magazine and Tv???? Rick was still running the RED WANGERS TA in the 90's and 2000s I believe. Guys like Mr. ***** or Mr. Magoo RAN those era and were still around in the 90's.

Not one person from the Detroit scene has said they remember the car or story of the car.

Last edited by New2oldsw30; June 6th, 2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
It's too bad there aren't any old timers from Detroit on here who may have actually participated in the early 70's street scene. I'm not saying the stories are not true or untrue but one may never know. As one member claims that he was never beat in a street race and I can also make that claim. It all depends on who you are racing and pure **** luck! So, the Black Ghost could have been a "legend never beaten", all depending on who he went up against! ( Now, everyone on this forum knows what kills a good story...an eye witness!)
I have a couple post from at least 2 who WERE THERE on another site, just can't bring them up here.
Old June 6th, 2023, 03:22 PM

3 big red flags:
1- The owner/driver was an active law enforcement officer at the time. Perfect cover? Of course, but highly unlikely....
2- Said car was a fully loaded pig of a car, not remotely close to a rubber mat, no power anything street terror
3- no witnesses, even after all the hype. Well, there was 1 guy, but he also claimed to be in the car.

You can believe the hype if you want. I'm trying to be realistic. The-older-i-get-the-faster-i-was seems to be rather rampant.