General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Black Ghost

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:58 PM

See if tgis works from phone. In this thread post 130 from headbolt talks a out Lisk Challenger beating Joe in the Sudden Impact Mustang II. ON 696. Then he goes on to talk about the Volare since BOTH the Challenger and Volare were built at Fons Motown Muscle shop.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads...2290266/page-2
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:04 PM
Banned

Funny thing to me one this story is a couple things.

Back in the day 9-10 second cars were not out cruising the streets. They came out when called out. Cars like this roamed the streets. Looking for fools. Were they full on drag cars? No. Did they kick ninety percent of the asses of people on the street? For sure they did. Hell I never got beat one single time in my 70 442. Not once. Were there faster cars? Of course there were. Was it my holeshot? Nine times out of ten yes. Oldsmobile torque won many.

Another point. Ties in to the first point. All you people calling this car out. Were you there? No you weren't. You are judging on speculation. Period. Period. You are buying in to whatever is written. Canadianolds and plenty of us are old. We ran the streets against factory cars. Did hemi cars kick serious butt. Absolutely. Have you ever ridden in a factory Hemi car?? I have. Plenty. Elephant motor fit them well. My brother owned an A2 440 six bbl Roadrunner with 4.10's and a four speed. Fools couldn't touch that car. Even with a 440 4 barrel.

Those were awesome days. I am glad I lived them. 👍
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:09 PM
Banned

PS: Restoring this car would be one of the dumbest (Stupidest isn't a word) moves you could possibly make. How many original paint cars if any make are still out there? Once you strip the paint you strip the soul. Look at that factory paint etc Rallye 350 that just sits for sale. People justify a questionable W-31 with terrible stripes for 100 grand plus. That original Rallye 350 is worth ten times that bogus car to me.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan

Back in the day 9-10 second cars were not out cruising the streets. They came out when called out. Cars like this roamed the streets. Looking for fools. Were they full on drag cars? No. Did they kick ninety percent of the asses of people on the street? For sure they did. Hell I never got beat one single time in my 70 442. Not once. Were there faster cars? Of course there were. Was it my holeshot? Nine times out of ten yes. Oldsmobile torque won many.

Another point. Ties in to the first point. All you people calling this car out. Were you there? No you weren't. You are judging on speculation. Period. Period. You are buying in to whatever is written. Canadianolds and plenty of us are old. We ran the streets against factory cars. Did hemi cars kick serious butt. Absolutely. Have you ever ridden in a factory Hemi car?? I have. Plenty. Elephant motor fit them well. My brother owned an A2 440 six bbl Roadrunner with 4.10's and a four speed. Fools couldn't touch that car. Even with a 440 4 barrel.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I grew up in the 80s, and the fastest car in my town was MY CAR, my 66 4-4-2 convertible with a rebuilt 425 from a Starfire and a Jetaway. Of course, it really wasn't the fastest, but I never once lost a street race so I developed a reputation for having the fastest car in town. This was partly because most of our races were either really short, like 0 to 60 races, or because they were from a rolling start. The Jetaway was an advantage since it did not shift from zero until 60 mph or from a rolling start until 65 or 70 mph. The fastest car I beat ran consistent 12.80s at the drag strip, but he was really struggling with traction on the street.

There were definitely a lot of faster cars in town, but I was just lucky I never raced them to spoil my reputation.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by New2oldsw30
Just Google Steve Lisk hemi challenger. I remember the hemi Volare too. That was late 70s to early 80.
Yep, I guess it helps if you know how to spell the name right

Old May 23rd, 2023, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
Well considering you have more exaggeration and BS than everyone on this forum combined…I will leave the story telling to Dudley Dipshit aka Canadian idiot at large.
Really? Not biting troll ...

Do not disrespect other members because you have a difference in opinion. Agree to dis agree but dont be throw'n bad ju ju WTF

Last edited by otto72; May 23rd, 2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan

the black ghost, never had headers, or any aftermarket parts that anyone knows of. It’s a full option car, a heavy pig at over 4,000 lbs. no gears or converter.

the proof it was never a serious street racer is in its current state, which is an original car….that hasn’t changed. They say it is as it was and has always been…that thing would barely run in the 14’s today as it is

Crap, back then V8 Vegas were all over the place …any healthy 350 in a Vega could smoke that heavy pig.

a friend of mine has a 71 challenger 440 six pack car.. he’s owned it since 75. It’s a true mid 11 sec car with time slips over the years. I did the engine twice, first when he got it and a refresh about 10 years ago. His car would obliterate the black ghost.

Old May 23rd, 2023, 05:17 PM

Fantastic story.

Thank You.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 09:36 PM

I'll add my personal story for reference.
My dad brought a 1967 442 brand new, ordered it and grandad cosigned. Car comes in, and grandad is displeased. "Don't go racin' that car, boy!"
According to my father, it went under the hands of the local boys at the ARCO station where he worked with 150 miles on the odometer. "The boys" tossed the air cleaner lid, gave him "bigger jets" he used to carry in his pocket, they cut the chambered tailpipes over at the axle, and he bought 30x9 M/T "wrinkle wall" slicks. The trunk was regularly filled with beer and ice, and it was one of the fastest cars around. I have time cards from 75-80 Dragway for 12.89 at 106. Let that soak for a minute. Relive your late teens.
In 1984, or so, he bought the current car, and tried to recreate his childhood We worked on it over the years, I bought his house, and he left the car. I don't have the nostalgia he has, but I try to maintain a nod to his days of glory. Now, it still looks fairly stock, but I've done way more than he ever hoped to and it's been 11.56@122.
Those " good old days" are exactly that- "good old days". Now, to rule the street, you'd better have a turbo motor making north of 1500hp and be single digits.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:26 AM

70W-32, that second post # 41 with the thread at YELLOWBULLET actually HAD Matt who owned the Pat Patrol 64 posting. There is another post on Yellowbullet about racing later on that spoke about Wanger RED T/A running and running fast. "POPS (who looks like Mr Magoo), out banging gears and running 130 MPH. Point is, some of the old timers were still around. Wagner, Mr Magoo, Mr. ***** and Plant, Mike Cassie and some of the other from the TOP ENDERS CLUB was still running the streets and around into the 2000+.

I'm also on Yenko site where the NEW owner of this Challenger is and posted about it. He's happy with getting an original Paint, triple Black 4sp Hemi Challenger. Car is 1 of 22 RT/SE and only one with Gator top. AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS TO HIM. Is the street racing legend story Bs, probably yes as no one has come forward, since 2017, to say they knew of the cars back in the early 70's or saw it race.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:33 AM

As for price, here's sorta another comparison for guys BUT from 2017...........

THE STEVE LISK 1971 CHALLENGER sold for $95,000 as a clapped-out old streetraced LEGEND but OG 383 car. Now that was before the prices went crazy and it was a 383 that needed everything,

Here is the thread on this:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads...enger.2290266/
Old May 24th, 2023, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
My dad brought a 1967 442 brand new, ordered it and grandad cosigned. Car comes in, and grandad is displeased. "Don't go racin' that car, boy!"
According to my father, it went under the hands of the local boys at the ARCO station where he worked with 150 miles on the odometer. "The boys" tossed the air cleaner lid, gave him "bigger jets" he used to carry in his pocket, they cut the chambered tailpipes over at the axle, and he bought 30x9 M/T "wrinkle wall" slicks. The trunk was regularly filled with beer and ice, and it was one of the fastest cars around. I have time cards from 75-80 Dragway for 12.89 at 106. Let that soak for a minute. Relive your late teens.
In 1984, or so, he bought the current car, and tried to recreate his childhood We worked on it over the years, I bought his house, and he left the car. I don't have the nostalgia he has, but I try to maintain a nod to his days of glory. Now, it still looks fairly stock, but I've done way more than he ever hoped to and it's been 11.56@122.
Those " good old days" are exactly that- "good old days". Now, to rule the street, you'd better have a turbo motor making north of 1500hp and be single digits.
Love this story! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 24th, 2023, 06:56 AM

Well time to put the Black Ghost, STREET RACING LEGEND story to rest. Here is 2 post from 2 guys who were there back then:

"Been a long time folks since I've been on the Bullet!!! I had to come out and revive this thread for the "Real Stories" on the street in Detroit after reading about a Black Ghost Mopar today... Many of us have passed on but, the ones who ran the streets in the day KNOW who the "KINGS" were!!! I miss those days...I Love You All, whether I know you or not. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! 💪🤘🖕💋🎅💯✝

Saw that article. Cool car, but I don't remember it. There was a lot of fairly serious hardware around Detroit even in the 70s. I grew up near Woodward and literally rode my bicycle to Northwood before I had a license. A near stock Hemi car would have been considered a nice piece, but would not have been competitive with the real hitters out there."

There we have it! The Black Ghost story does NOT seem to be recalled by a few who were THERE at the time. Go back through the thread and they remember plenty of street racing action and never seen/heard of this Black Ghost. Those 2 posted back in Dec of 2020
Old May 24th, 2023, 02:12 PM

Well time to put the Black Ghost, STREET RACING LEGEND story to rest. Here is 2 post from 2 guys who were there back then:

"Been a long time folks since I've been on the Bullet!!! I had to come out and revive this thread for the "Real Stories" on the street in Detroit after reading about a Black Ghost Mopar today... Many of us have passed on but, the ones who ran the streets in the day KNOW who the "KINGS" were!!! I miss those days...I Love You All, whether I know you or not. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! 💪🤘🖕💋🎅💯✝

Saw that article. Cool car, but I don't remember it. There was a lot of fairly serious hardware around Detroit even in the 70s. I grew up near Woodward and literally rode my bicycle to Northwood before I had a license. A near stock Hemi car would have been considered a nice piece, but would not have been competitive with the real hitters out there."

There we have it! The Black Ghost story does NOT seem to be recalled by a few who were THERE at the time. Go back through the thread and they remember plenty of street racing action and never seen/heard of this Black Ghost. Those 2 posted back in Dec of 2020
and there ya go. He’s not the only one calling the story bs.

I’ve read quite a few stories lately on the car and it’s race history,, not one, none, have backed it up.
Old May 24th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
Well considering you have more exaggeration and BS than everyone on this forum combined…I will leave the story telling to Dudley Dipshit aka Canadian idiot at large.
you got your story ready about your car yet?

maybe give the black ghost documentary film maker a call,, he’ll fix you up
Old May 24th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Really? Not biting troll ...

Do not disrespect other members because you have a difference in opinion. Agree to dis agree but dont be throw'n bad ju ju WTF
exactly…
Old May 24th, 2023, 02:38 PM

Great history and real memories. I’ll tell you how my brother got hooked on the 67 442’s

I was in grade nine, no license yet, my brother was in grade 11, he would drive us to school in my grandfather’s 66 toro… a few times each month so the auto shop class could “work” on the car😉

his friend had a 67 442, 4 speed , blue with a black vinyl top. My grandfathers toro and the 67 were regular cars that the students worked on. We would go out in the 67 for test runs, 5 guys, with huge smiles on our faces.

he would do bunny hops down the road in front of the school while everyone cheered him on…

if anyone doenst know want a bunny hop is,, , it’s matting the throttle off and on in 1st gear, it’s almost impossible to hold on inside …what a blast. My brother also ended up buying a 67 442 convertible and converted it to a 4 speed…with 4:33’s

his friends 67 had 5:00 gears…Never found that out until years later when it was parted out..

Old May 24th, 2023, 03:12 PM

70W-32, that second post # 41 with the thread at YELLOWBULLET actually HAD Matt who owned the Pat Patrol 64 posting. There is another post on Yellowbullet about racing later on that spoke about Wanger RED T/A running and running fast. "POPS (who looks like Mr Magoo), out banging gears and running 130 MPH. Point is, some of the old timers were still around. Wagner, Mr Magoo, Mr. ***** and Plant, Mike Cassie and some of the other from the TOP ENDERS CLUB was still running the streets and around into the 2000+.

I'm also on Yenko site where the NEW owner of this Challenger is and posted about it. He's happy with getting an original Paint, triple Black 4sp Hemi Challenger. Car is 1 of 22 RT/SE and only one with Gator top. AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS TO HIM. Is the street racing legend story Bs, probably yes as no one has come forward, since 2017, to say they knew of the cars back in the early 70's or saw it race.
Rat Patrol was originally built and raced by Bob Orlokowski out of Warren in the Mid 70s, its been sold a couple of times since, and now sports a tube frame chassis. Bob really knew his way around Mopars and built several cars for guys I went to highschool with I was with them at the SMNationals when they were taping the $100 bills to the windshield looking for races .He didnt get beat that weekend. Best race that weekend was when he stomped Rick Dobbertins(sp) twin turbo, blown, Nova bad. Vince Impasato was there with his 67 Camaro, which was another low 10- high 9s Detroit area street racer until he decided to turn Pro. Serious Street racing is still big in the Detroit area, but the Street Outlaw type wannabes and sideshow idiots are bringing the Cops down hard on it. Weekend cruising on Gratiot, Woodward, and telegraph is dead, unless its during the Woodward Cruise in August
Old May 24th, 2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
Great history and real memories. I’ll tell you how my brother got hooked on the 67 442’s

I was in grade nine, no license yet, my brother was in grade 11, he would drive us to school in my grandfather’s 66 toro… a few times each month so the auto shop class could “work” on the car😉

his friend had a 67 442, 4 speed , blue with a black vinyl top. My grandfathers toro and the 67 were regular cars that the students worked on. We would go out in the 67 for test runs, 5 guys, with huge smiles on our faces.

he would do bunny hops down the road in front of the school while everyone cheered him on…

if anyone doenst know want a bunny hop is,, , it’s matting the throttle off and on in 1st gear, it’s almost impossible to hold on inside …what a blast. My brother also ended up buying a 67 442 convertible and converted it to a 4 speed…with 4:33’s

his friends 67 had 5:00 gears…Never found that out until years later when it was parted out..
5.00?! cruise speed of 35 at 3000? LOL
Old May 24th, 2023, 03:36 PM

5.00?! cruise speed of 35 at 3000? LOL
Yep, the optional drag gears Olds offered. 4.33-4.66-5.00
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Rat Patrol was originally built and raced by Bob Orlokowski out of Warren in the Mid 70s, its been sold a couple of times since, and now sports a tube frame chassis. Bob really knew his way around Mopars and built several cars for guys I went to highschool with I was with them at the SMNationals when they were taping the $100 bills to the windshield looking for races .He didnt get beat that weekend. Best race that weekend was when he stomped Rick Dobbertins(sp) twin turbo, blown, Nova bad. Vince Impasato was there with his 67 Camaro, which was another low 10- high 9s Detroit area street racer until he decided to turn Pro. Serious Street racing is still big in the Detroit area, but the Street Outlaw type wannabes and sideshow idiots are bringing the Cops down hard on it. Weekend cruising on Gratiot, Woodward, and telegraph is dead, unless its during the Woodward Cruise in August
70W, you know way more then me as my info is 2nd hand at best.

Orlo from what I've heard really knew his stuff. He sold the black 64 to his brother when he build the red 64 with the alum front. That's when the "Max Wedge Brothers" moniker was born I was told. Not sure who he is, but Dr. Detroit also had a WHITE 64 and talked about it a bit on Yellowbullet too.

Helping with Butch Kemps cars over the years and racing Milan Friday night stuff, got to know a bunch of guys that ran the street. Howdy is definitely a character. First time I meet him, he was telling stories the first night do in Orlando in 2005 as we were there for Orlando's World Fastest Streetcar shootout. I told him I knew and helped Butch from time to time and he said, "He's never beat me"???

I did hook up with Bay Jr. who ran with Mr. ****** crew and went there for a weekend for 2 nights of street racing. Taco's in Mexican town is about all I remember as the nights was just a blur. Being a Canadian in Detroit after dark and some of those streets and people, opened your eyes and watch your back.
Old May 25th, 2023, 06:40 AM

I did hook up with Bay Jr. who ran with Mr. ****** crew and went there for a weekend for 2 nights of street racing. Taco's in Mexican town is about all I remember as the nights was just a blur. Being a Canadian in Detroit after dark and some of those streets and people, opened your eyes and watch your back.
Its worse today, everybodys carrying, and has thin skin.
Old May 25th, 2023, 04:16 PM

Its worse today, everybody's carrying, and has thin skin.
And, that's why I stay away! Too many bad memories and a decided lack of interest in anything Detroit.
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:17 PM
Banned

Its worse today, everybodys carrying, and has thin skin.
Originally Posted by Bunser
And, that's why I stay away! Too many bad memories and a decided lack of interest in anything Detroit.
When I was a kid out here in Denver cars used to cruise South Broadway. Englewood cops etc shut it down. Then it moved to West Colfax. My grandpa cruised his 62 300 on sixteenth street for true old schoolers out here. Things got out of control on Colfax. I had so many epic races out there. Guns attitudes etc. Ended it for me. I had a guy come at me with a baseball bat because I wouldn't admit that my 70 442 was actually a Challenger. Seriously that happened. Sad violence these days. Even though that was thirty years ago ha ha ha.
Old June 1st, 2023, 12:37 PM

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...zl4mQy51VmW_NE
Old June 1st, 2023, 04:33 PM

[size=18px]. One thing was certain though: the driver was Black, because the car was adorned with the red, black, and green crest of the Zulu Warrior[/size]
​​​​​​​Wow. They actually wrote that? WTF?
Old June 1st, 2023, 04:44 PM

wow. They actually wrote that? Wtf?
​​​​​​​🤣
Old June 1st, 2023, 04:59 PM

Motortrend, and all its sister publications, have become a joke. Just interested in sucking what little money is left from the publishing industry
Old June 1st, 2023, 05:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Black Ghost is kind of like when Obama went to college. There is nobody around that remembers it.
Old June 1st, 2023, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
​​​​​​​🤣
The barrier to entry in online publications is so low as to be non-existent in this day and age. So many articles written by awful college interns who are 19 and have done nothing important or well in their lives so far, including English class.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 09:57 AM

There’s a guy who knows the owner ,, he’s posting shyt online like it’s worth 3 million and that’s what it should have gone for.

because of the story …he said it’s a true story or Chrysler wouldn’t be making tribute challengers and making a killing off of it

🤣
Old June 2nd, 2023, 10:53 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Koda
The barrier to entry in online publications is so low as to be non-existent in this day and age. So many articles written by awful college interns who are 19 and have done nothing important or well in their lives so far, including English class.
And soon (or now?) they won't even be written by humans ...
Old June 2nd, 2023, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
And soon (or now?) they won't even be written by humans ...
True.

I edit the H/OCA newsletter. We have three proofreaders. The newsletter is 1/3 the size of Journey With Olds and the H/OCA is, I would say, 10% the size of the OCA at most, and probably much less. The OCA editor gets paid, and should be, as it is a huge job. My job is not so huge, and I volunteer. I've made a lot of improvements to the integrity of structure of the publication over the past year with most of it being small formatting and grammatical errors. I have made a style guide for each decision I make, and, especially, the ones where I have to look up thing in other style guides. My most recent ones involved how to insert clarifying words into a quotation that needed further elaboration in a way that makes it clear you did that (you use brackets) and how we wanted to do headlines on a following page. (First Page: Title - Author #[H/OCA Member Number], Second page: Title, Continued (no period)).

Point is, I try to give a ****. Most of these articles on sites are just churned out with no passion.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 10:03 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Koda
... Point is, I try to give a ****. Most of these articles on sites are just churned out with no passion.
Don't worry -- soon enough all those passionless drones who don't try to give a **** will be replaced by passionless robots that are incapable of giving a ****.

However, something tells me that revenge will not be sweet.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 11:54 PM
Banned

Car Craft, Hod Rod, and couple others used to care. I swear Hemmings has been the most consistently wrong for over 40 years. I remember picking out mistakes before I was a teenager. Sad how many people look at some of these publications as gospel.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The Black Ghost is kind of like when Obama went to college. There is nobody around that remembers it.
The Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 06:27 AM
Banned

Careful the no politics police (selectively) could shut this down.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 07:49 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Bunser
The Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
Not sure how that applies in this case. Please explain.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 02:18 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of Jedi mind trick or Spock mind meld... LMFAO
Old June 4th, 2023, 08:54 AM

Switching subjects and only muddying the waters in a way due to lack of understanding. Sort of an "all hat, no cattle" type of thing.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: The Black Ghost